Villisca

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Kat

Villisca

Post by Kat »

Stef lent me the DVD on the Villisca murders last night and warned me not to watch it if I was sleepy. I asked "Oh it put you to sleep?" and she said yes.
So tonight I watched it. I didn't feel sleepy at all. In fact, I was sitting in a rocking chair close to the TV and watching and the next thing I know I missed 20 minutes of it! And seemingly the best part! If there is a *best part.*

I still don't quite know all the characters. There are So Many!
[As a Bordenite, I suppose I can't complain! :smile: ]

Anyway, the death knoll of this film is the voice of Historian Dr. Edgar Epperly. OMG his voice is irritating and hypnotic! Go figure! In one of the *Specail Features* he re-narrates the film and his voice is much stronger with more resonance and quite pleasant so I can only think in the original video they did not tape his voice properly.

Well, now Stef knows you don't have to be sleepy to conk out on this one. It conks you out all by itself!
It's still good, tho.
Especially if you're an insomniac! :smile:
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I know what you mean. I had a high school teacher who drooned on for what seemed like the longest 55 minutes in history about rock formation! Every day he talked in a grating monotone voice that just put us kids to sle.... :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

I'll never, unfortunately, forget him!

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
Harry

Post by Harry »

Reminds me of Ben Stein's role as a teacher in the TV show "Wonder Years". He is/was a master of the monotone voice. He was the opposite on his show "Win Ben Stein's Money" on the Comedy channel.

Making a video on the Villisca murders that is on the boring side is quite an accomplishment but it does show how important narration can be.

The first time I ever saw "Texas Chain Saw Massacre" I fell asleep. Still don't think I've seen it all the way through.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
myk7753

Post by myk7753 »

How odd...I read this post early this morning. I had never heard of this murder before, so I googled it and spent the next hour reading what I could about it before beginning my day. While I was dusting and such, I turned the TV...and there's the house! It was on the Sci-Fi's Proof Positive. Now there timing!
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
Kat

Post by Kat »

Firstly I admire that bigsteve always remembers his History Class! So do I! zzzzz...zzzzz

Then I have to laugh :peanut19: at Harry's memory of sleeping through Texas Chainsaw Massacre!!! :shock:

Then I am in Awe that myk just read this and then saw it on TV! I've never seen it on TV! Coincidences are uncanny. <<<eeek>>>

(EDIT to change spelling of "Taxes" to "Texas." :smile: )
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

hmmmm... Taxes Chainsaw Massacre could be right too... Never know what the IRS will do! :wink:
myk7753

Post by myk7753 »

From Kat...

"Coincidences are uncanny. <<<eeek>>>"

Yep, sure took me back a step or two...I think my first reaction was "what the #$%^?" :roll:

I'm truely suprised I'd never heard of this one before...hmmmmm...
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Audrey gave us this webisite about the Villisca murders a while back. It is a good one and is worth reposting:

http://www.villiscaiowa.com/

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks Tracy!!

It is a fascinating story and the DVD is really exceptionally well done.
It is like the video we had always wished for in the Borden case!

We both have/will watch it over and over, there is so much info packed in there!
Angel

Post by Angel »

For some reason I can read about the Borden case and find it fascinating, but when I read about the Villisca murders it really weirds me out. It has such a malignant feeling of evil about it that I have a hard time even thinking about it. I think I'll stick to Lizzie.
Susan

Post by Susan »

I hear what you're saying, Ellen. I find the Villisca case fascinating, but, get extremely creeped out while reading about it. I think one of the main reasons why is the young ages of some of the victims; small, innocent children pulled into some adult powerplay. All murder is a terrible tragedy, but, with small children thrown into the mix it just makes the case feel more vicious, IMO.
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Angel

Post by Angel »

I get creeped out thinking about someone skulking about the house, covering windows and leaving lanterns all over the place. And then when I heard some EVPs (I forget on what website) that was enough for me.
lydiapinkham

Post by lydiapinkham »

I had to respond when I saw the reference to Ben Stein. When I was researching kleptomania, I stumbled on a "What it Feels Like" article on kleptomania in Esquire, also on the list was a What it feels like to have narcolepsy"--a problem I have myself. The person interviewed was Jimmy Kimmel, Ben Stein's old sidekick from the game show "Win Ben Stein's Money." Kimmel said that he actually nodded off more than once during the show because of Ben's voice! LOL!

--Lyddie
Kat

Post by Kat »

That's funny Lyddie! They should use those guy's voices in sleep studies. Just think, no more Tylenol PM!