Antiques Roadshow and my original Porter.

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Eric

Antiques Roadshow and my original Porter.

Post by Eric »

Thought you all would find it interesting that I took my original Porter to the Antiques Roadshow in Philadelphia last weekend. The appraiser knew instantly what it was. He said that at one time the book was thought more rare than it actually is (although he did not have an estimate on how many there are). He said that he recently purchased four ( yes 4!! ) original copies! He said my copy was poor to fair due to acid damage but would still value it at $200-$400 dollars and to expect to pay $800-$1500 for one in good to very good condition. He also stated that in the condition my copy was in he would not have it restored but would look to take the restoration money and put it toward a G-VG copy. It was still a great day at the Roadshow and we saw a ton of interesting items!
Kashesan

Post by Kashesan »

How cool, Eric! You made the Road Show! Congrat,
:smiliecolors: kash
"It seemed friendly enough, but it had sharp claws and a great many teeth. Alice thought it best to treat it with respect"
Lewis Carroll
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Wow. That sounded like fun Eric. Always wanted to attended an Antiques Roadshow. One came to Providence a couple of years ago, only 20 miles away, and I missed it.

But the appraiser is right, best try to find another copy. Most Porter's found have the acid problem including mine. After all, it was published in Fall River.

The estimate he came up with is the industry norm set by dealers such as The Quill and Brush in Dickerson Maryland. Owners Allen and Pat Ahearn have written a couple of books on Values----the last in 2002 called COLLECTED BOOKS THE GUIDE TO VALUES. In that book they set the value for a very good copy as 1500. Probably where the appraiser got his estimate.

The condition of my copy, which STEFANI held in her hand and can testifiy to, is probably the best in existance. :roll: Also, when I purchased it it came with a crumbling dust jacket which protected the binding for almost 100 years----though it was not published with a DJ it was probably placed there early by some dealer. But No one knows, since it fit the book as if made for it.

I was lucky to buy it. It was one of the first Porter's I had ever seen for sale in good condition and was purchased back in the 80s. :grin: :oops:
Kat

Re: Antiques Roadshow and my original Porter.

Post by Kat »

Eric @ Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:10 am wrote:Thought you all would find it interesting that I took my original Porter to the Antiques Roadshow in Philadelphia last weekend. The appraiser knew instantly what it was. He said that at one time the book was thought more rare than it actually is (although he did not have an estimate on how many there are). He said that he recently purchased four ( yes 4!! ) original copies! He said my copy was poor to fair due to acid damage but would still value it at $200-$400 dollars and to expect to pay $800-$1500 for one in good to very good condition. He also stated that in the condition my copy was in he would not have it restored but would look to take the restoration money and put it toward a G-VG copy. It was still a great day at the Roadshow and we saw a ton of interesting items!
Eric, what was it like and how did the process go? Long wait? Do they see everyone? How do they choose who is *featured*?
Was it all day- like a 12 hour commitment?
Were you interviewed? What building was it in? Did you shuffle along in a long line? Could you sit?
Tell us everything?
:batman:
Eric

Post by Eric »

It was amazing how organized it was. I received my tickets through the Roadshow(they hold a lottery for them), they had an entry time on them(mine was 8:30am) and they were spaced 1.5 hours apart. We were the first time group to be admitted, and there were 600 people per time slot, it sounds like alot but they had it so well organized,... smooth sailing. Each person was allowed to bring 2 items, and everything does get appraised by the on air personalities. Well anyway, you are in line with your time group and they send you though the first section, here they give you tags to what type of items you have, and what tables you go to( that is what you see the people in the background of a Roadshow broadcast doing).The sections are like militaria, art glass, books and manuscripts, and so on. You wait in line in front of the table corresponding to your ticket, once at the table the appraiser will tell you about your item, and answer questions for you. There are no places to sit, but once you are in you are moving. Besides my Porter, we took a tool for holding baseballs while they are stitched (my grandfather sewed baseballs for the Philadelphia Athletics during the Great Depression). They had never seen anything like that and did not know what it was, so they could not put a value on it. You just move from table to table until you are done, no one rushes you and everyone is extremely helpful and friendly. We even got to me the host for the past 2 seasons Mark Walberg ( no not Marky Mark Wahlberg). They select people through out the day to film on the spotlight sections( the appraisals you see on TV) the film approx. 200-300 but only use about 60 over three episodes. The filming I was at will appear in Jan 2007, it was at the Philadelphia Convention Center. We arrived at 7:45 for the 8:30 enterance, and were out of there by 10:30. My wife brought in a few items that were common, but they still took the time and answered questions! Complete class act! A morining well spent, and a great memory of the neat items and people there!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Oh Thank you thank you! I read this last night. I did not let you know.
I appreciate the inside view! Thanks for expanding on the subject! I loved it!
bobarth

Post by bobarth »

Eric,

That is so awesome,is there anyway you can remind us when you are going to be on? I am new and have never seen an original porter and would love to see that episode. What a neat experience.
The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mohandas Gandhi
Eric

Post by Eric »

Sorry for the late reply Bob. Unfortunately my segment was not taped to air, but they said the Philly Roadshow should air somtime in Jan '07. I am still hoping to see myself in the background :lol: :lol:
bobarth

Post by bobarth »

Eric,
Well poo, no original Porter for me to see. Still a very cool experience, maybe I can still catch a glimpse of you toting it around though.....
The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mohandas Gandhi
snokkums

Re: Antiques Roadshow and my original Porter.

Post by snokkums »

Eric @ Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:10 am wrote:Thought you all would find it interesting that I took my original Porter to the Antiques Roadshow in Philadelphia last weekend. The appraiser knew instantly what it was. He said that at one time the book was thought more rare than it actually is (although he did not have an estimate on how many there are). He said that he recently purchased four ( yes 4!! ) original copies! He said my copy was poor to fair due to acid damage but would still value it at $200-$400 dollars and to expect to pay $800-$1500 for one in good to very good condition. He also stated that in the condition my copy was in he would not have it restored but would look to take the restoration money and put it toward a G-VG copy. It was still a great day at the Roadshow and we saw a ton of interesting items!
Thats is so cool!! It's interesting sometimes to take all your old junk that you have up in the attic or down in the basement and see how much the stuff is worth, if any thing.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.