Fall River Tragedy repriint

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Oscar

Fall River Tragedy repriint

Post by Oscar »

I just received a copy of the Porter book as reprinted by The Law Book Exchange. I was wondering if anyone else has obtained a copy and has compared it to the original and/or the reprint by Flynn.

The binding seems to be pretty good and the book appears to be on quality paper, but the size of the book seems to be a bit larger than what I remember the orignal book to be. Also, it is bound in grey/beige cloth rather than leather, with the title page lettering is reproduced and is actually printed on the cover of the book.

The photos are very grainey, but I assume that they were in the original book also. There is a disclaimer on the back of the title page stating that "the quality of this reprint is the equivalent of the quality of the original work".

The books dimensions are 10 1/4x7 1/8.
RayS

Post by RayS »

The $75 cost for a reprint of a work that is out of copyright suggests a college course somewhere.
High prices are required to kick-back to the College or Teachers. This is done by giving "free books" to teachers when say 15 books are sold.
No taxable events?
It was Farmer William in the Bedroom with the Hatchet.
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Can anyone give me the measurements or dimensions of the orignal book?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Yes OSCAR: Have not seen a copy of the THE LAW BOOK EXCHANGE copy of the Porter yet. But since I own a Flynn copy along with the original, I hope to find a copy on ebay in the near future.

But, as for the dimensions of the original PORTER, they are: :arrow:

9 and 3/8s inches Tall--- 6 and 1/8 inches wide---and 1 inch thick.

The FLYNN copy is just about the same axact measurements as the original, except that it is 6 inches wide and 1 and 1/8 thick, due to a heavier weght paper used.

The Original Porter's binding has a slight "bow" to the spine being just ever so slightly round-----where the Flynn Porter's spine is somewhat flat, which makes the Flynn Porter about 1/8 inch less wide.

The Original Porter weights 1lb. and 12 ounces
The Flynn copy weights 1lb. and 7 ounces

Except for the end papers, the Flynn binding comes as close as one can to the original in most respects including color. You can find a photo of both in the HATCHET Vol. 3 No. 2.

Hope that is of some help.....

:smile:
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Thanks for the info. I bought my copy on Amazon and it is definitely pricey. I haven't seen any of these on ebay. The binding is very good as is the paper stock. The cover is nothing like the original or Flynn editions. I'd like to find a good deal on an original but will keep looking.