what is the oldest book written on LIzzie?

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

snokkums

what is the oldest book written on LIzzie?

Post by snokkums »

There is so much stuff written on Lizzie, but does anyone know what the oldest book written about Lizzie was written. Is it still in print?
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Here is a chronological listing by year I worked up on the major works on the Borden case. It does not include magazine or newspaper articles. Let me know if I missed any. The works in the same year may or may not be in the correct order. I created it so that I could see which authors, perhaps, "borrowed" from previous works:

Chronological Listing of Borden Books and Articles.

1893 - Porter, Edwin H. The Fall River Tragedy. Fall River, MA: George R. H. Buffinton, Press of J. D. Munroe.

1893 - Lunday, Todd. The Mystery Unveiled: The Truth about the Borden Tragedy: Fresh Light That Must Be Convincing to All Readers. Providence: J. A. & R. A. Reid.

1894 - Davis, Judge Charles G. "The Conduct of the Law in the Borden Case." A Collection of Articles concerning the Borden Case. Boston: Boston Daily Advertiser.

1894 - Wigmore, John H. "The Borden Case." American Law Review, pp. 819-845.

1924 - Pearson, Edmund Lester. "The Borden Case." Studies in Murder. Garden City, NY: Garden City Publishing Co., Inc., pp 3-120.

1927 - Pearson, Edmund Lester. "The Bordens: A Postscript." Murder at Smutty Nose: and Other Murders. Garden City, NY: Doubleday, pp. 291-302

1928 - Pearson, Edmund Lester. "A Postscript: The End of the Borden Case." Five Murders. Garden City, NY: Doubleday, Doran & Co., pp. 263-294.

1935 - Pearson, Edmund. "Legends of Lizzie", More Studies in Murder." NY: Smith & Haas

1937 - Pearson, Edmund. The Trial of Lizzie Borden. New York: Doubleday

1944-1946 - Phillips, Arthur Sherman. The Borden Murder Mystery: In Defence of Lizzie Borden. An abstract from The Phillips History of Fall River

1950 - Lustgarten, Edgar. "Lizzie Borden." Verdict in Dispute. NY: Scribner's, pp. 206-253.

1953 - Samuels, Charles and Louise. The Girl in the House of Hate: The Story and All the Facts of the Lizzie Borden Murders. New York: Fawcett Publications.

1959 - Snow, Edward Rowe. "The Lizzie Borden Murder Case." Piracy, Mutiny and Murder. NY: Dodd, Mead & Co., pp. 248-288.

1960 - Kunstler, Willam. "Murder in Hatred: The Commonwealth of Mass. vs Lizzie Borden" First Degree, Oceana Publications

1961 - Radin, Edward. Lizzie Borden: The Untold Story. NY: Simon & Schuster.

1967 - Lincoln, Victoria. A Private Disgrace: Lizzie Borden by Daylight. New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons

1968 - de Mille, Agnes. Lizzie Borden: A Dance of Death. Boston: Little, Brown and Co.

1974 - Sullivan, Robert. Goodbye Lizzie Borden. Brattleboro, VT: Stephen Greene Press

1980 - Williams, Joyce G., J. Eric Smithburn, and Jeanne M. Peterson. Lizzie Borden: A Case Book of Family and Crime in the 1890s. Bloomington, IN: T.I.S. Publications Division.

1984 - Spiering, Frank, Lizzie: The Story of Lizzie Borden. NY: Random House
1988 – Jeans, James W. Classics of the Courtroom, Vol. XIII: Highlights from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts vs. Lizzie Borden.

1990 - Marshall, John David. Lizzie Borden and the Library Connection. Tallahassee, FL: School of Library & Information Studies, Florida State University.

1991 - Brown, Arnold R. Lizzie Borden: The Legend, the Truth, the Final Chapter. Nashville, TN: Rutledge Hill Press.

1992 - Lizzie Borden: Did She? . . Or . . Didn't She? Verplanck, NY: Historical Briefs, Inc. (Evening Standard)

1992 - Flynn, Robert A. Lizzie Borden & the Mysterious Axe. ME: King Philip Publications.

1992 - Kent, David. Forty Whacks: New Evidence in the Life and Legend of Lizzie Borden. Emmaus, PA: Yankee Books.

1992 - Kent, David. Lizzie Borden Sourcebook. Boston: Brandon Publishing.

1992 - Rappaport, Doreen. Be The Judge, Be The Jury, The Lizzie Borden Trial. NY: Harper Collins Publishers.

1993 - Ryckebusch, Jules R., ed. Proceedings: Lizzie Borden Conference. Portland, ME: King Philip Publishing Co.

1994 - Commonwealth of Massachusetts VS. Lizzie A. Borden; The Knowlton Papers, 1892-1893. Eds. Michael Martins and Dennis A. Binette. Fall River, MA: Fall River Historical Society.

1997 - Geary, Rick. The Borden Tragedy: A Memoir of the Infamous Double Murder at Fall River, Massachusetts, 1892. NY: NBN Pub.

1999 - Arnold, Muriel. Lizzie Borden: Pictorial and Historical - The Hands of Time. Nashua, NH: Tri Flag Press.

1999 - Rebello, Leonard. Lizzie Borden: Past and Present. Al-Zach Press.

2000 - Axelrod-Contrada, Joan. Lizzie Borden 'Axe Murder' Trial: A Headline Court Case. Berkely Heights, NJ: Enslow Pub.

2000 - Hoffman, Paul Dennis. Yesterday in Old Fall River: A Lizzie Borden Companion. Carolina Academic Press

2000 - Masterton, William L. Lizzie Didn't Do It! Boston: Brandon Pub.

2003 – Silveria, Barbara The Dark Side of Lizzie Borden Self published

2005 – Rehak, David Did Lizzie Borden Axe For It? Lightning Source Inc.

2006 – Chaney, Karen Elizabeth Lizzie Borden (New England Remembers) Commonwealth Editions,
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Wow- thanks for the list! Great stuff- I see I am missing one or two I did not know about. :grin: Christmas is coming.. . . .
RayS

Post by RayS »

1894 - Davis, Judge Charles G. "The Conduct of the Law in the Borden Case." A Collection of Articles concerning the Borden Case. Boston: Boston Daily Advertiser.

1894 - Wigmore, John H. "The Borden Case." American Law Review, pp. 819-845.
I read somewhere that the two law professors cited disagreed with the trial verdict, but that many many others did accept the verdict.
One virtue of Arnold Brown's book is that it explained the reason for the verdict (the fix was in). Far away academics did not understand the reason for this verdict; they may not even understand politics?
Harry

Post by Harry »

My good friend William lets me know about two more:

1935 - Pearson, Edmund "Legends of Lizzie", More Studies in Murder." NY: Smith & Haas

1960 - Kunstler, Willam "Murder in Hatred: The Commonwealth of Mass. vs Lizzie Borden" First Degree, Oceana Publications

I have edited my post to include these two titles.

Thank you, William!
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
diana

Post by diana »

What a great resource! Thanks, Harry! I printed and filed it immediately.
Kat

Post by Kat »

That's fantastic Harry! Good for you and thanks!
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Thanks Harry !

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

All the way back to 1893! "The Fall River Tragedy" by Edwin Porter-- does anyone know if the book is still in print, since it was first published in 1893? I'd love to get that book.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
RayS

Post by RayS »

Look it up in www.amazon.com or other site that sell books.
This is too rare to be carried in a local bookstore.
It was Farmer William in the Bedroom with the Hatchet.
bobarth

Post by bobarth »

The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mohandas Gandhi