Lizzie Borden's purse?

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Harry

Lizzie Borden's purse?

Post by Harry »

At least that is what this first-time seller claims.

The story doesn't seem likely. Can't imagine Lizzie giving her a purse after only a few weeks employment. The seller provides no provenance.

And it's haunted too!

http://tinyurl.com/ybrugf
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Perhaps Lizzie didn't "gift" it to the short term employee, but it was taken from her by said woman. Could explain two things: the reason the woman worked for her for such a short time and the "fact" of its haunting! :twisted:

All in all, a very odd sale, but a rather pretty purse, regardless of provenance. Too bad the starting bid is so high.
Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

My question to the seller:

Item: HAUNTED ANTIQUE PURSE/LIZZIE BORDEN (190065285024)
This message was sent while the listing was active.

Hello,

I am wondering if you have had the chance to have the purse authenticated by the Fall River Historical Society or any other similar source ?

Thanks,
Tracy

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

The world of collecting is a stange one, much of it based on faith....

Provenance, along with a couple of other methods, being one of the most vital criteria to follow in proving an item being what it claims to be.

I remember reading somewhere that a lost Van Gogh was being displayed in a musem and that someone came forward to claim that he had the original. So which is the true item? Experts are fooled.

As with this item, the purse, provenance can be just another term for hearsay. Even if there was a photo of Lizzie adorning the purse, would that be proof? Is the purse one of a kind? Did she have it made for herself? And what a shame to pass up such a wonderful item if, after all, it is authentic...and is it not a coincidence that the coins stayed with the purse all these years?
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

And the seller has zero feedback. ALWAYS a sign of dependability, in my book! :roll:
shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

stuartwsa @ Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:47 pm wrote:And the seller has zero feedback. ALWAYS a sign of dependability, in my book! :roll:
I hope you're kidding, the (0) behind his name is the number of things he's sold, and having 0 feedback means theirs been no one to voice an opinion about what he's sold or whether or not they were satisfied with it. You were just being sarcastic weren't you? If so, I most humbly apologize!
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Here's the response from the seller of the purse. I am sure they mean well, but I wouldn't trust them enough to pay their asking price:

Response from mikesanta63qj
mikesanta63qj( 0)
Positive feedback: 0%
Registered on: www.ebay.com

Item: HAUNTED ANTIQUE PURSE/LIZZIE BORDEN (190065285024)
This message was sent while the listing was active.
mikesanta63qj is the seller.

I DID CONTACT THE FALL RIVER SOCIETY AND SPOKE TO THEM ABOUT IT AND WAS THINKING ABOUT DONATING IT TO THE SOCIETY, BUT HAVEN'T BEEN THERE IN PERSON. I HAD THE PURSE CHECKED OUT BY ANTIQUE DEALERS AND THE PURSE AND COINS ARE FROM THE 1800'S. WE ALSO HAVE A PHOTO WHICH WE BELIEVE IS A MUCH OLDER LIZZIE BORDEN THAT WE ARE NOT SELLING. I HAVE NO REASON TO DOUBT MY MOTHER AND GRANDMOTHER. BUT YES I HAVE CONTACTED THE SOCIETY, AND THE GENTLEMAN TRIED TO LOOK INTO MY GREAT GRANDMOTHERS NAME, BUT SINCE SHE ONLY WORKED FOR THE BORDEN FAMILY FOR A SHORT TIME, HER NAME WASN'T LOCATED.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Yes, I was kidding. On the other hand, everyone has to start somewhere on eBay. I just don't think I'd do it with an item with a provenance that can't be documented.
bobarth

Post by bobarth »

Just emailed to see if he would provide his great grandmothers name?
Doesnt hurt to ask, I guess.
The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mohandas Gandhi