The original Borden Couch

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Fargo

The original Borden Couch

Post by Fargo »

The actual :roll: Borden Couch is on Ebay. It has been recovered with different material. What a deal with a starting bid of $1.00
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Thanks Tony, that's a good one. At least the seller admits it may not be the actual Borden sofa. :grin:

Thomas Keiran gave the measurements of the Borden sofa at the trial (Page 114) and they differ from the description given by the seller. For instance, seller sells length is 87-1/2", Borden couch 85". Seller's seat height is 19", Borden sofa was 18". Width between arms on sellers is 57", the Borden sofa was 59".

Here's the URL for the item: http://tinyurl.com/2vwmwd

It appears to be very solid and well made. Must weigh a ton! In one photo it appears to have casters but not in the final photo.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Angel

Post by Angel »

Can anyone make out the carving on the original? It seems to be a tad different, but it is hard to tell.
RayS

Post by RayS »

It is possible that continuing maintenance has affected the measurements.
The sear height is most likely.

"I have the original hatchet owned by my grandfather over a century ago.
But the handle was replaced twice and the head once. Other than that, its the same hatchet." Sample story.

Accept the story in the spirit it is offered.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Nice piece but no lollipop. Any Bordenite worth his weight in hatchets can tell it's not the right sofa.

I often wonder if the sofa was destroyed in the flood or if it could still be out there somewhere, maybe in someone's living room.

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
Kat

Post by Kat »

It's cool to see the back and bottom.
Otherwise, the carving on the arms is a reverse "S" shape from the real Borden sofa. Also, the decorative "fan" shape repeated twice along the back, comes to a taller point in the Borden sofa.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

If Maplecroft had a huge cellar the size of the first floor of the house, why would the Borden girls need to hire storage space for anything from Second Street? That implies cost

Where does the stored-furniture-lost-in-the-hurricane story come from, remind me?
And is that the same storm that washed away Lizzie's supposed *confession* from the vault of the whomever from the Tilden-Thurber affair?