Boss's Book on Sale Now

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

augusta

Boss's Book on Sale Now

Post by augusta »

Judith Boss's history of Fall River (1982) book is up for grabs now on eBay. The current bid is $19.99. I paid like $55 for mine.

Item number is: 330120765229, and auction ends May 23 17:43 hours.

It's a wonderful book. Hardcover. Tons of b & w photos. Text condenses every decade, so you learn the basics of FR history without having to read a lot. Fun to look at, and a good reference book to add to your FR library.

I am not in any way affiliated with the sale of this book.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:eek: ooooooooohhhhhhhhh ! Lucky, lucky you bobbie..... Congrats on winning a book difficult to find, and when for sale worth 75 to over 100. Hard covers are hard to find and the paperback later printings getting more and more difficult to locate. Me thinks you caught a couple of collectors napping. If you do a book search you'll be lucky to find one. Cool...... :wink:
william

Post by william »

A "Bargain for Bobbie," indeed! Amazon.com is the only bookseller offering the book for sale at this time. Price: one hundred and eighty-four dollars.
william

Post by william »

A "Bargain for Bobbie," indeed! Amazon.com is the only bookseller offering the book for sale at this time. Price: one hundred and eighty-four dollars.
bobarth

Post by bobarth »

Hey Thanks!!!!

I found another one for 35.00 that is a paperback here at Alibris:

http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cf ... f8NqwZcrXQ

I really had no idea what a bargain I had stumbled on to until one of the Lizzie collectors told me what it went for and how much to bid it up to.

Got my Lizzie fix for the week :razz:
The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mohandas Gandhi
Societygirl1892

Boss's Book on Sale Now

Post by Societygirl1892 »

I have never heard of this book, but you're right, sounds like an excellent adition to anyone interested in Lizzie and just Fall River is general. I will have to keep a look-out for it.
Thanks!
Pammie :smile:
Pammie :-)
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

I believe Judith A. Boss is a Professor at a University in New England. She has written many books, most centered around her trade, social issues, the medical field etc.

But the three books that interest this reader are her pictorial histories. She did one on Newport R.I. in 1981 one on Fall River in 1982 and one on New Bedford in 1983. I think the one on New Bedford is the only one issued with a dust-jacket.

By far the Fall river Pictorial book is the most difficult to locate. It was issued and commissioned by the Fall River Five Cents Savings Bank. Most were sold through and at the Five Cent banks in Fall River. It is where I purchased my copy in 1982.

An interesting note about these publications. Newport R.I., with all its tremendous money, rich past, historical significance and popularity still cannot measure up to the level of interest and number of collectors in Fall River. At this writing there exists 3 to 4 copies of Pictorial Newport and another 4 copies or so of Pictorial New Bedford listed in ABE. There are "NO" copies of Pictorial Fall River. (The one copy outed by Bobbie above is gone.) Also, the Fall River book was issued as "limited" to 3000 copies, while the Newport book was only 2000 copies. Still the Fall River book is more difficult to locate. Interesting...... :?: :-? :cool:
Kat

Boss's Book Was on Sale 2007

Post by Kat »

While working on a Hatchet article in years past, submitted by a respected and prestigious author, I did not expect mistakes in his history, yet, sure enough, there were a few, some from this Boss book. It really surprised me.
I'm not maligning the book, the pics are fab etc... but owner beware...you may not be getting the correct facts you expect. That is disappointing, to say the least.
BTW: I have the soft bound, and of course I used it, on and off for a couple of years, and the spine has broken in the middle.

-- I've been spending some lovely time in the evenings revisiting this section of the Forum and remembering some wonderfully entertaining conversations here at this site, by my friends tripping down the misty ways. Anyway, that's why I noticed this thread. :wink: