Lizzie Plates

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Ad

Lizzie Plates

Post by Ad »

A few years ago (many) I saw Lizzie collector plates for sale. I believe they came in a nice wooden frame. Does anyone else remember them and does anyone know how I can get my hands on them?

I believe that Fall River Historical Society was selling them; but I'm not absolutely certain about that

Can anyone help?
Kat

Post by Kat »

I don't know about *framed* plates, but I do believe the FRHS sold Lizzie plates after the 1992 Conference in Fall River.
Here is a pdf download. These may or may not be what you recall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

I bought the plates from the FRHS when they offered them way back when. None of them came in any sort of frame. I don't remember the FRHS offering a frame for sale separately, either.
william

Post by william »

In 1993 I purchased a plate from the FRHS bearing a picture of Lizzie Birden. It was mounted in an octagonal mahogony frame. I believe the price was in the forty dollar range. The plate is presently mounted on the wall in my library in indirect light.

Sadly, over the past fifteen years, the picture has faded and Lizzie's picture is now barely visible.
Harry

Post by Harry »

I don't believe I ever saw them framed as well.

Just checked the FRHS site. They do have a plate for sale. Not of Lizzie but one showing the house.

http://www.lizzieborden.org/details.asp?ID=46
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

I wonder how many different plates were made? I bought the two with Lizzie's portraits on them. There was one of the Durfee high school and the Second Street house. Did the series continue beyond that?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Wow, they look pretty cool framed.

I was surprised to learn that the diameter of the plates are only 6-12 inches, roughly the size of a saucer. Still, if you're a Borden collector they're a worthy addition.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Thanks, Michael. I wonder if they only offered the frame if you purchased them in the gift shop. Mine were ordered by mail, and no frame was offered. William, did you buy yours in person, or via mail order?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes William, my Lizzie plate, (I have both images) the one I have listed in my post above is also faded. Though it retains much of its color, it was much richer when I first purchased it.

The Lizzie plate was kept in my bookshelf above my secretary desk. It is relatively dark there, so the plate was not affected as much. If I kept it on a wall, it would have faded much more than it has. Sadly, I believe as a long term collectable it will not fair well. If the plate is left in a sunny room, I would give it another 15 or 20 years and the image will be all but gone. Faulty process I suppose.

Yes Harry, the plates were all on the small side, possibly a little bigger than a saucer. Still as you say, a must have if you collect Lizzie. I may be exercising my ignorance here, but I think there was 3 "Lizzie plates" that were issued by the FRHS, two portraits of Lizzie and one of Lizzie as a cameo and the house; which, if I am not mistaken, is still offered by the FRHS.

Yes Stuart, at the time the FRHS were selling the frames, I think they had 3 different plates in stock: one of Lizzie, one of the City hall and another of the steamship Priscilla. The frame was a separate accessory. One would purchase it as a separate sale. In time they ran out of frames and never restocked. Whether they could no longer get them or just decided not to carry them is unknown to me. I never asked Michael about it. The girl behind the counter said they ran out and every time I visited the FRHS I would ask about it, but they never carried them again.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Wow! Those are cool looking. Thanks for posting! I'd never seen those framed.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Stuart, here is the plate page from the FRHS catalogue you gave me, dated 1993-1994.
diana

Post by diana »

Yikes! After reading this thread I ran downstairs to remove my Lizzie plate from its place on the windowsill and put it in the sideboard where it will be out of the light.

I bought the one of the house with the inset cameo of Lizzie in 2004 (no lovely frame offered then, I'm afraid). On the back it indicates this particular edition is limited to 250 and mine is numbered 231. So, if they're sold in sequence, and there were less than 20 left 4 years ago, sales are not exactly booming, are they?

Too bad -- they're very pretty plates.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Diana: Not sure about the Lizzie plate of the house, that is to say, how it will hold up with time but, the one that I posted above, the one of young pensive Lizzie in sepia color will fade and fast. mine was not even anywhere near the sun and it has already begun to fade. (please see photo in my post above.)

Now, about selling the plates in the order of their limited count.............this speaks to one of my sticking points about Limited Editions. By right, they should be sold in order. This brings me to one of my little stories.

Now, as many on the forum may have figured out by now, I can be very difficult, but only when I know I am right.

I purchased a couple of plates, several days apart, of the same image, I forget which, but it was one of Lizzie. This was at the FRHS. I remember that the second plate was a lower number than the first. The lady behind the counter was very cold and cheeky. I asked the old bitty about it and she said she didn't know anything about it. She ignored me, walked off and began to dust.

Then, I request a certain number in the count. She refused saying, "we can't sell them that way." I explained to her that she was not selling them in order, and if not, I should be able to request a number, that if they were still in the 20 and 30 count I would like plate 219.

I explained to her that in "limited editions" she could sell higher numbers upon request but not sell higher numbers before lower ones without informing the buyer. An advantage to Limited Editions is having a low number. Thus, selling them in order is how it should be done. Apparently the FRHS was not doing it that way.

Now DIANA, let me speak to the plate that you purchased.

I have 3 of them in my possession. One I purchased the first or second day it was issued. Mine is number 8. The other two were purchased 8 months ago in December 2007. They are numbers 200 and 201. So they sold you a higher number 3 years before their time. See what I mean? No accounting for decorum.

So, there you have it. :smile:
diana

Post by diana »

Thanks. That's really interesting, Michael.

I've heard it both ways about lower numbers being more valuable within limited editions. Early on, when print methods were less refined, later pressings in a limited edition sometimes had a lesser quality so lower numbers did deserve a higher value -- but some say that has now gone by the board as a result of modern methods providing consistent quality in pressings of a book or collectible.

Be that as it may, I guess I assumed the FRHS would go with the original premise and issue the plates in numbered order. So I was especially happy to get one of the only 250 in existence when it looked from my number that there were less than 20 left.

However, as you've proved, the numbers at the time of sale tell us nothing so we really don't know how many are left. Between you and I we can account for 4 -- but there could still be hundreds of those plates in the back room of the FRHS. :-)
Societygirl1892

Lizzie Plates

Post by Societygirl1892 »

I think I have all of the plates.
2 are of Lizzie, 1 with the Borden house with Lizzie's face in the right hand corner, 1 of BMC Durfee High School, 1 of City Hall, and 1 of the steamers on the Fall River line.
Mine are not framed, but I bought the little sepia and white colored easels to place them in. They are in my glass fronted Lizzie curio cabinet with some of my most treasured Lizzie collectibles. I had to get up and look to see how many I had. I have been a very good customer of the Historical Society. Dennis & Michael love to see me coming.
Pam
Pammie :-)
Kat

Post by Kat »

Yay Pammie!! :cheers:
Societygirl1892

Lizzie Plates

Post by Societygirl1892 »

Hey Kat!
I'm very happy with them myself!
Whatever I didn't buy on my trips up there, either Dave or my mom was ordering for me for either Xmas or birthday presents.
The next jewel in my Lizzie collection: Parallel Lives. Woo hoo!
Pammie
Pammie :-)
Angel

Post by Angel »

Speaking of which---exactly when is this book going to be available????