Lizzie Borden Sourcebook

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

deepriver

Lizzie Borden Sourcebook

Post by deepriver »

Hello all...where can I find a Lizzie Borden sourcebook? And what is this book?.I saw one on ebay but I didn't know what it was.And now it is gone.Can someone help?And I would like to say that I am very happy to have found this forum.I wish that I did not live so far from Fall River,it would be a dream to go there.My name is Audrey but you can call me Deepriver,I believe there is an Audrey here already.Thanks
Harry

Post by Harry »

Hi Deepriver, welcome to the forum.

The Lizzie Borden Sourcebook by David Kent (in collaboration with Robert Flynn) is actually a collection of newspaper articles covering the Borden case. There are also several articles on Lizzie in later years including her death. The papers are arranged in chronological order. The primary papers are the Fall River Herald, The Boston Globe and The New York Times, but there are numerous other papers as well. It contains many sketches of the people and court room scenes.

Bookfinder.com has numerous copies, both used and new, for sale, and I'm sure other book sites do as well. Here's the link to Bookfinder:

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl ... 43_1:31:26

It is interesting reading and the only thing wrong with it is that it too often leaves off the date and the name of the newspaper of the article. That's not good for a "Sourcebook".

David Kent is also the author of "Forty Whacks".
Kat

Post by Kat »

Hi!

Here is the Fall River Historical Society website offering of The Sourcebook.
http://www.lizzieborden.org/details.asp?ID=27

Also:
http://www.lizzieandrewborden.com/Borde ... izzieB.htm
From this web-site thru Amazon.

(I tried the link "bookfinder" but the search expired.)

Have you downloaded the source documents? :smile:

clickonpic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deepriver

Post by deepriver »

Thank you both.
lydiapinkham

Post by lydiapinkham »

Welcome, deepriver! The lack of dates and id are frustrating in The Sourcebook, but I wouldn't let that deter me. Many of the entries come from a scrapbook that undoubtedly left off the info. (No one ever thinks someone might want that info a hundred years later! Often we find that we forget it ourselves after 20.) Anyhow. It's presented as nearly as possible in chronological order and the stories give a fine picture of the popular view.

--Lyddie
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

I have a sourcebook, I find it quite interesting. The articles that had to be retyped because of their rough condition are in bigger print than the rest. The the print size of the original articles seem kind of small, it's too bad that they didn't copy them to a bigger size.

When it comes to the dates, Would there be any records from the newspapers themselves so that one could create sort of a guide to enter the dates into the sourcebook?
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

oops
Allen

Post by Allen »

Fargo @ Sun May 01, 2005 8:28 am wrote:I have a sourcebook, I find it quite interesting. The articles that had to be retyped because of their rough condition are in bigger print than the rest. The the print size of the original articles seem kind of small, it's too bad that they didn't copy them to a bigger size.

When it comes to the dates, Would there be any records from the newspapers themselves so that one could create sort of a guide to enter the dates into the sourcebook?
The only thing about the sourcebook that bothers me is I found some of the articles were edited, and parts were left out. Other than that I think it's a good source for information.
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

I have all the books, mainly just to have them.

I refer to some of them less than others but I do like them all.

I even have the ficitonal ones...
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

That is my goal, to have all of them. I don't know what the total number of books written on the subject is. I have 10 so far with 7 0n 0rder.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
Kat

Post by Kat »

There is a very useful Bibliography at the lizzieandrewborden web site:
http://lizzieandrewborden.com/Resources ... graphy.htm

It will be updated in not too long.
My copy is printed out and in my drawer next to me.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Does anyone know if the book Lizzie Borden a study in conjecture by Marie Belloc Lowndes has ever been reprinted since it was published in 1939?
Does anyone know if the reprinting of a The fall River Tragedy this year is going to be illustrated or if the original in 1893 was illustrated?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Who is reprinting the book The Fall River Tragedy?
The original Porter was illustrated just as the re-print by Flynn was in 1985.

You might try Googling the Belloc-Lowndes?
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

I am not sure who is reprinting it but if you go to Amazon Books and click on The Fall River Tragedy you can pre-order your own copy of it, it hasn't been released yet. I heard that it was supposed to be reprinted in August.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I went to amazon.com, and here's what came up when I typed in The Fall River Tragedy.

In part :

Product Details
Hardcover: 312 pages
Publisher: Lawbook Exchange; Reprint edition (August 1, 2005)
Language: English
ISBN: 1584775467
Shipping Information: View shipping rates and policies
Amazon.com Sales Rank:
(Publishers and authors: improve your sales)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/searc ... 55-9791355

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
diana

Post by diana »

And the cost is $95.00 U.S. I'm glad I've got my Porter already!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Golly!
Thanks you guys!

We have 3 Porters!
2 Flynns and an original.
beckygoddess

Post by beckygoddess »

I acquired my first original Porter (we have two) from an antiquarrian bookseller in London in 1969 for $65.00. The second I acquired at a book fair in Manhattan in 1982 for $150. Over the years I've collected 7 copies of Robert Flynn's fasimile of Porter's book, which was very well done. I've given them out as gifts over the years. I doubt I'll want to spend $100 on the new edition in August but I will want to see how it compares. I still have abounding gratitude for Mr. Flynn in the wonderful service he provided those interested in the Borden case.
"We wanted her so and her life was just thrown away." - LAB letter to Amanda dated 8/8/1908