Andrew Borden's Antique Mortise on eBay

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

stuartwsa

Andrew Borden's Antique Mortise on eBay

Post by stuartwsa »

An antique woodworking tool, a mortise or marking gauge marked "A. J. Borden" is up on eBay this week. The piece is apparently marked in three places with Andrew's name. It is amusing to think of Andrew being so paranoid that someone would steal his tools--sure seems to fit in with the stories about him, doesn't it?
Here's a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Mortise-Mar ... 439fdf41ad
Harry

Post by Harry »

Now that's cool! Bid is already up to $152.50. Andrew would have sold it for that! :smile:

The three names does say a great deal about Andrew.

Thanks Stuart.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Wow.

Thanks, Stuart!
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

It says it was on loan to 2 Borden museums in Fall River for several years. It dosn't mention the names if the museums though. Has anyone seen this marking gauge anywhere before ?
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
augusta

Post by augusta »

Thanks for the link, Stuart. Boy, where Borden stuff turns up, huh?

So it was found in 1948. And it was in two FR museums? No, Fargo, I never saw it before. I would have thought if the FRHS had it, it would have had it on display with the other Borden things. The B & B wasn't open until years after 1948, but it could have been there. If it was, tho, nobody pointed it out to me.

At first I thought it was a mortician's tool. "Mortise" made me wonder.

It'd be cool if the FRHS could purchase it. They're known as having the largest collection of Lizzie stuff, and this would make a great addition to their collection.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

I'm sorry I missed this topic when it was current. Did Andrew make the coffins he used as an undertaker...it seems probable considering the time period. I believe Andrew worked for Trafton who built the 2nd Street house. Muriel Arnold referred to him having been a carpenter.

Like many trades, workers had to own their own tools...they were not supplied by the owner. No tools meant no work, no money, no support for your family. Having his name 3 times on a tool would seem to imply it was really important to his job or that he had be "ripped off" by someone before.

I hope it went into good hands...it should be at FRHS.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Fargo @ Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:44 am wrote:It says it was on loan to 2 Borden museums in Fall River for several years. It dosn't mention the names if the museums though. Has anyone seen this marking gauge anywhere before ?

Maybe someone ought to check with the FRHS to see if they know anything about the history of this tool. Perhaps a tool expert could tell us when it was made. I wouldn't bid on it until I knew the facts on it. I have seen a lot of bogus stuff being peddled on e-Bay. Neat find though. I hope it is Andrew's.

-1bigsteve
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
jcurry

Post by jcurry »

When it was up before it went for over $400 but the buyer must have renegged. The second place was someone named "dylangirl" who bid over the $400 but not as much as the winner.