Used Borden Books

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

FairhavenGuy

Used Borden Books

Post by FairhavenGuy »

This afternoon, I was at a local used book store:

D R Nelson & Co Booksellers
74 Kilburn St
New Bedford, MA 02740-7321
Phone: (508)997-8800

There were a number of used hard-cover Borden books for sale.

They had one deMille, one Lincoln, two Radin, and four of five Robert Sullivan.

There was also a Pearson, but it was not "The Trial of. . ." It was something like "Famous Murders" with the Borden case first and by far the longest section of the book. (Sorry, I didn't have a pen and paper with me to take notes.)

As I said, all were hard-cover. They were all about $25 to $35 each, except the Sullivan might have been more. Is it less common? They had several copies of it. . .

Anyway, David Nelson, the owner of this shop, is very reputable and well known. He was actually the Bristol County Sheriff for a while. He doesn't seem to have a website, but you can call if you're interested in any of these.
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Judge Sullivan's book appears to be fairly common, actually. I just ran it up on bookfinder.com... Fifty-five copies are listed, and they range in price from $7.85 to $59.00. (The highest priced copy is listed as in "Good" condition oddly enough; cheaper copies in better conditions than "Good" are also listed.)

(Note to self: Either type better, or learn proper proofreading!! :wink:)
diana

Post by diana »

That's a nice selection of Lizzie books in one store! In my personal experience, the deMille was the hardest to come by. I searched for years (pre-internet) before I found one.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thank you FairhavenGuy!
That's kind!

I agree that de Mille is rare. Ours is a library copy from 20 years ago.
Hey Diana, did you read the whole thing or stop at the ballet business? :smile:
diana

Post by diana »

Nice call, Kat! I went back and looked at the bookmark I'd left in there. I obviously abandoned Agnes around page 157 when she decided to use artistic license in the ballet and "reverse history" by having Lizzie declared guilty and sentenced to death by hanging.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I got to about 131, where Agnes decides to strip the story bare and eliminate Emma and Bridget as not crucial to the story. :smile:
That's like the Legend movie leaving out Morse! No one can quite forgive them that.