This can be yours for $7,000!

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

stuartwsa

This can be yours for $7,000!

Post by stuartwsa »

While browsing through Bookfinder.com I discovered this "interesting" book purported to be signed by our own Miss Lizzie. PS: the following description (complete with mistakes) was typed by the bookseller.

JESSICA'S MOTHER, by Hesba Stretton

Philadelphia:: Henry Altemus Co.. 1898. This a rare book inscribed and signed by Lizzie Borden. Bessie Gibbs/Forbest lessons and/Contributions during/the last Quarter of 1902/With lovefrom her/Teacher/Miss Lizzie Borden/Jan. 11th 1903. This is lightlypenned on the first blank flyleaf and is completely legible. The book waspresented by her to a student in her Sunday school class on Sunday, Jan.11, 1903. Lizzie Borden gained infamy in 1893 when she was acquited ofmurdering her step-mother and father in Fall River, MA. No one was everconvicted of the crime, which gave rise to the jingle: Lizzie Borden tookan ax, gave her mother 40 whacks. When she saw what she had done, shegave her father 41. The covers of the book are worn and the bindingloose. The spine is missing and there is the back cover is stained. Theinternal contents of the book are sound. Lizzie Borden died in 1927 atthe age of 68, having acquired a sizeable fortune in real estate andinvestments.Catalogs: Autographs.

...and only $7,000! :roll:
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

If that book came with a grilled cheese with JVM's likeness on it I would buy it.....
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

But, how could you tell the difference between the grilled cheese and JVM? ;-)
Harry

Re: This can be yours for $7,000!

Post by Harry »

stuartwsa @ Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:34 pm wrote:Philadelphia:: Henry Altemus Co.. 1898. This a rare book inscribed and signed by Lizzie Borden. Bessie Gibbs/For best lessons and/Contributions during/the last Quarter of 1902/With love from her/Teacher/Miss Lizzie Borden/Jan. 11th 1903.
Interesting find Stuart.

Lizzie wasn't teaching Sunday school in 1902 or 1903. However, according to Knowlton (Glossary A) there was a Dr. Gibbs on Third St. in Fall River:

"GIBBS, SAMUEL WHELPLEY 1854 - 1926: born in Fall River, Mass., son of George W. and Susan B. (Whelpley) Gibbs. Educated in the Fall River school system, .... He entered practice soon after and became one of the best-known physicians in Fall River, active in the profession until the time of his death. .... He married Miss Susan Wallace Crapo, also of his native city. His home at 39 Third Street was among those visited by Officer Dennis Desmond of the Fall River Police Department as part of his investigation of the Borden burglary in 1891."
william

Post by william »

I requested a scanned copy of the dedication on the fly leaf of the book from the publisher. It read as follows:

"Bessie Tibbs
For best lessons and contributions during the last quarter of 1912.
With love from her teacher
Miss Lizzie Borden
Jan. 11th 1913"

I compared the signature with various specimens I have in my collection.
It did not match them in any respect. Lizzie ususally signed her name, L.A. Borden. I believe by this late date she was calling herself Lizbeth, not Lizzie. I have no knowledge or her as a teacher during this time period.

I believe the dedication and the signature are authentic, but it is not OUR Lizzie.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks William!
That is extremely interesting and revealing.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Good work William !

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Jimmy S. Windeskog

Post by Jimmy S. Windeskog »

I was also under the impression that she did not work as a sunday school teacher so late in life.

Dose someone know exactly when she did stop work as a teacher. Did she even worked at all as a teacher after the trail?
"I did it for Rome"

Livia, the play "I, Cladius"
Kat

Post by Kat »

After the trial, Lizzie had some Rest & Relaxation at Newport for a couple of weeks. Then she and Emma bought a house and it's thought that Lizzie went to the Columbia Exposition in Chicago before it ended, 1893. (The Columbia Exposition was named after Columbus, and not the country, Columbia).
Then she decorated her house and made improvements and refinements to the property inside and out (she bought up more land). There are stories that she kept up her charities quietly, but did not participate in community or church activities.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Harry, I believe a Mrs. Crapo lived in the same neighborhood as the Bordens, either on Second St. or Third St. Perhaps she is of the same family as Dr. and Mrs. Gibbs.
Kat

Post by Kat »

It seems, per William, that the proper name is Tibbs.
"They call me Miss Tibbs." :smile:

I've been wondering, apropos of doctors and Third Street, why didn't they use a telephone of Dr. Chagnon?
Surely that was close by?