Interesting item on Ebay

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Harry

Interesting item on Ebay

Post by Harry »

Lizzie Borden episode on the old TV show Omnibus, March 24, 1957.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-NYC-TV-Gui ... 5646ee9395

Note who plays Mrs. Gifford - Margaret Hamilton, the wicked witch in the Wizard of Oz.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
mbhenty

Re: Interesting item on Ebay

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Yes Harry, so many publications out there over the last 100+ years about Lizzie and the case.

As a collector, unless you have an unlimited pool of money, one must narrow the sphere of collecting and gathering in any field.

For example. When I decided I wanted to collect Lizzie Borden, I narrowed my reach to books and books alone. I tried not to get into the "plate, document, magazine thing. (though I have)

Though such items as this TV guide is tempting, it's one I try to exclude.

Now............

Below is another "Lizzie, not Lizzie" item that was just posted on ebay. One can see how the seller can become confused. When Lizzie A Borden lived, there was another Lizzie A Borden residing just a couple of miles away in Dartmouth, MA.

Listed below are some land deeds for that other "Lizzie A".

To complicated things more, there is also an Emma Borden listed on the deed. (Listed as Emma F.)

On the surface it looks like a great find. As a local Dartmouth historical document, its an appreciable discovery. But not a Lizzie A Borden of Fall River discovery.

Still, a very intriguing item, one which has been mislabeled by the seller and not what he says it is.
:study:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1800s-Lizz ... 868wt_1068
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, follow-up.

The item in the post above, the Lizzie A Borden Deeds listed on EBAY, ended without any bids. Either people have no money, Lizzie collectors were asleep, or were more knowledgable then I thought.

The seller was notified that the Lizzie A Borden on the deed, along with her sister Emma, are not the Fall River Bordens. Thus, hopefully the seller will do some research and if he/she puts the item back up on ebay they will do so with corrections.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes:

Period Newspapers which are found about the Borden case, and which show illustrated depictions of the event, is always a great find.

Below are illustrations take from an item now on ebay.

The Albany Telegraph August 92 a couple of weeks after the crime.

Albany, New York comes to play in the investigation of the Borden crime in a very small way. Can anyone guess HOW???

Nice item. A little over the top in price, especially in its current condition. But again, how many are there out there?

I like the way the seller has displayed the paper with the axe. Not surprising, but clever.

And, how about poor Lizzie sitting on the bed in a lonly prison cell—nearby, a solitary chair.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Lizzie ... 624wt_1068
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, here is another period newspaper. This one, the Boston Post.

Great illustrations.

It even gets into the history of the Borden name with a diagram of the Borden family tree.

Another shows the cemetery. Doesn't look much like Oak Grove Cemetery. But, we must remember, this is an early rendering, when Andrew Borden was buried. Not as many people buried. I love the tree line in the background. The little step in the illustration is there, so who ever drew the illustration was probably there. If you look closely, you can make out the mound of dirt for the once open grave.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1892-newspaper- ... 7479wt_834
Last edited by mbhenty on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, haven't had enough?

Ok, this one of the Boston Herald.

I love the illustration of Lizzie's smug puss.

Great sketches of the trail.

Lizzie must have been sobbing loudly in the last illustration. You can tell by the way everyone is turning to look at her. Could that be Emma crying behind her?

Third illustration is a great panoramic likeness of the courtroom.

This newspaper and the one in the post above are both on ebay, as we speak. Even more pricey.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1893-Boston-new ... 6300wt_834
Last edited by mbhenty on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Still another Boston Post, early.

Yes, on ebay........now.

Love the pudgy face Lizzie.

What do you know about Samuel's note, below?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEST-1892-newsp ... 6364wt_834
Last edited by mbhenty on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yep, still another. At times ebay is saturated with period newpapers.

This one is in Pennsylvania.

Newspapers with illustrations of the case are always more desirable and expensive.

Here is one for a reasonable starting bid.

Here, Lizzie looks a little "hard." Very pronounced nose and manly eyes. Compare this Lizzie to the one of Lizzie in the post above.

Still, a great find if you want to collect "Borden Case Newspapers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIZZIE-BORDEN-N ... 6948wt_834
augusta

Post by augusta »

Several years ago, I found a box online in a library in a state out west that was listed as being filled with "Letters of Lizzie and Emma". I contacted the library thinking this was too coincidental not to be them. Turned out to be another Lizzie and Emma entirely.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes: That's real funny Augusta.

At the same time, Lizzie and Emma lived, there was another Lizzie Borden and Emma (?) just less than a dozen miles away in Dartmouth.

Imagine what Dartmouth Lizzie Borden went through after the Fall River Lizzie Borden was accused.

(Dartmouth Lizzie was named Borden after her husband. Her Sister was Emma, but I can't remember what her last name was. Recently some legal documents were on ebay for Dartmouth Lizzie)
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes:

Here's another interesting document on ebay as we read.

This one has the signature of Andrew J Borden. (and others)

It's a document, a petition of sorts to the County for a bridge over the Lee's River in South Swansea. The bridge would supply a short cut from points east and fall river to South Swansea, especially the Gardner's Neck area, where Borden had his farm house.

On this document is also Andrew Borden's friend and business partner Milne.

Now, when was the last time you saw an Andrew J. Borden signature? Can we conclude that it is more "rare" than his daughter Lizzie? More precious, more collectable?

Seller may want to much for it. I have already bid as much as I would like to pay. Let's just say it was over 100 dollars, and I still have not met reserve. Neat document. But, how much demand or desirability is there for Andrew's signature?

Items such as this are difficult to marry up to a dollars figure. Especially when it is one of a kind. The secret here is to have two bidders who really want the item.

To me, it would be worth more if it was a document with just Andrew's signature alone and concerning family business or personal matters.

In this case he is one of many signers on a class action petition. It's not about him. He just happened to sign it.

What is it worth?

Probably much more than a cheap ebay buyer would want to pay. (me included)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230713423869?ss ... 600wt_1097

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, still another Edwin Porter The Fall River Tragedy a History of the Fall River Murders, an original, published in 1893, hits the market. EBAY

Though there is a good chance that Lizzie could have bought up most of these, she had to do so by buying out the author. If not, they would just keep publishing them and she would need to keep buying them. So lots of them are out there, which speaks to the fact that she did not get to them all until they hit the market, or the perhaps the publisher sold some on the side. (Which is unlikely, since the author would have been in on it) It may be very likely that once the book hit the market, Lizzie got hold of a copy and negotiated with the publisher and author, by which time Monroe had printed and sold a number of copies.

Even if there were 200 that were sold, we can easily assume that half of that number were lost, thrown out, over-read and worn away, it the last 100+ years,etc.

Some have guessed or tried to document how many copies exist but the results would not be reliable. No one knows. No one can even prove that Lizzie Borden bought most of them. I have held or seen at least a dozen, myself. And, just recently the FRHS attained a copy as a donation

This fellow selling the Porter below mentions that there were a thousand copies printed. That is the first I heard of it. I don't think any one knows that, unless they have the records for the Monroe Publishers, listing the amount.

As far as this seller is concern, he is trying to sell a 1200 dollar book. He doesn't give enough information about description and condition. If you are an ebay seller selling a high end item, there is no excuse not to supply multiple photos. Not just one.

Also offered by the same seller is a nice 2 volume copy of THE PROFESSOR, by Currer Bell, better known as Charlotte Bronte. It's a nice copy, but probably 4 or 5 hundred dollars to much. There are similar nice copies on ABE for I believe 700 to 1400. So, this seller is on the money or selling for top end market value. No deals here.

I've included a photo of the actual Currer Bell book being sold by the same ebay seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORTER-THE-FALL ... _836wt_900
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes:

This is Judith Boss's book Pictorial History of Fall River. Quite scarce. But I have never seen it this expensive. Sixty dollars maybe. But 200?

It's up for sale on ebay. Tricky seller though.

One is the listing on ebay. The other is a listing on ABE Book seller's site.

Both of these are the same book by the same seller. I mean the same exact copy, number 729.

You can by it now on ebay for 200 dollars. Or, you can go to her site on ABE and buy it for 175 dollars. What's that all about?

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes:

Here is still another interesting item from ebay.

Vintage steamer trucks are sprawled all over ebay. When I was a young man every antique and junk shop had a couple. You could buy one anywhere from 15 to 50 bucks. Condition was not always good, but to a young twenty something who just got his first apartment, they made great coffee tables or liquor cabinets.

Today steamer trunks go for 300 to 600 hundred for a nice one. A Louis Vuitton trunk may go well into the thousands.

Below is a steamer trunck with a cherished petigree. One belonging to one of Lizzie Borden's best friends and probably used by Helen when with Lizzie on holiday.

The trunk belonged to Helen Leighton.

Very interesting collectable. The seller had it at a 1200 dollars starting bid. When I went in to eabay this morning, I noticed he pumped that up to 1500.

The ebay entry site is below.....

Watrayutink?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270938488402?_t ... 429wt_1798
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes:

LIzzie brings them all out.

The listing for the Leighton trunk in the post above.

Well.....

The seller first posted it for 1200 dollars.

Soon after he had raised his price to 1500.

I checked this morning and it is now 3500 dollars.

No bids, you understand.

The seller is bidding against himself.

If this was Lizzie's trunk, or if Helen Leighton was a famous person, actress, writer, explorer.......

But, the poor woman is a common friend to another, herself famous, or infamous.

So, anything connected to Lizzie takes on a whole new life.

3500??????? Nice truck, but I don't think so. By itself it's a 400 to 700 dollar trunk.

Helen might add another couple of hundred to it, not much, if anything.

To me, the trunk would be worth a lot more if it belong to Alice Russell or even Mrs Churchill, or Emma......But, Helen?

Of course you must be the judge.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes:

Period newspapers about the murders of the Bordens are always interesting. When you see them on ebay they are almost always pricey.

Ebay has listed several copies of The Boston Post about the trail. Six vintage papers for 125 dollars.

I love the line illustrations they include.......like the one below of showing Amy Robsart, Mary Livermore, and Emma Borden. Cool :!:

Amy Robsart was a news reporter for the Boston Post. The line drawing was probably drawn by Post Artist Norman Ritchie who accompanied Ms. Robsart during the Borden trial. Livermore had an interview Lizzie, and Robsart had done a story for the Boston Post about it.

You can't collect everything, thus, I don't collect newsprint. But, they can make for terrific treasures in a collection and with a wealth of interesting information.

And, how about those wonderful little line drawings :?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270883307977?ss ... 2083wt_900
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes..........well, someone has gone and done it :!:

Placed the Lizzie Borden trial JURY on a coffee mug.

Very funny. :peanut19:

Sale is on ebay.

Seller also has coffee mugs about the 20s depression, prohibition and others.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Sorry, double post, please refer to post above. :oops: :oops: :oops:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:grin:

The latest offer on ebay.

A beam roof rafter from the summer home of Andrew Borden on Gardner's Neck Road in Swansea, Ma.

A couple of years ago they put on a new roof on the old place. This must have been a section of a rotted beam which was cut out.

Interesting.

This seller has had this beam on three times. The first time, he was asking an opening bid of just 10 dollars. For some reason he removed it from the site in the middle of the auction. Now it's back on for 75 dollars.

I would be happy to bid on it if it was the entire beam, and I could use it as such, or if it was from the original home on Second Street or Maplecroft. Or let us say Andrew Borden was killed in the attic and this was the beam he was stretched out on when they found him. (?) That my friend would be a turtle with a different shell.

Ugly thing, really. How would you display it?

I'd pass on this Lizzie item. But if you like I can run into the Swansea yard, real quick like, and get you some stones from the driveway. You can place them in a glass case and light a candle.

Where does it stop?

Well, I suppose there's a market for everything. Look at the painting The Scream. 120 million.

Go figure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280875435662?ss ... 500wt_1149
Kat

WOW!Interesting items on Ebay Frm Past

Post by Kat »

I love this thread! Thanks Harry and MB!! News items pics that can be saved to our files! YAY!