Nice item, Heh?

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

mbhenty

Nice item, Heh?

Post by mbhenty »

Yes:

Right now on ebay is a very, very desirable item for sale. It's a signed letter by Lizzie Borden to the James F. Kenny who lived in the house next door to Maplecroft. This was the house that Lizzie purchased and had moved. This is a marvelous letter where Lizzie bargains with Kenny for his property.

Of course, the owner of the letter is asking crazy money. What's it worth? Quite a bit......but not $15,000.

A real cool item. A firm cornerstone to any Lizzie collection. Very desirable and authentic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130831135591?ss ... 1423.l2649

(Photos of letter below area out of order. There are two total letters.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harry

Re: Nice item, Heh?

Post by Harry »

Nice find, MB. Lizzie's hand writing is hard to read.

I like the one where she complains about the barking dog. Reminds me of the current owner. :wink:
In that letter she includes her neighbors. Wonder if they knew. Also that letter is not signed L A Borden but "Neighbor". Curious.

The price is down to $13,000 with a $50 shipping charge. Let me check my wallet... nope, out of $1000 bills.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Harry:

This letter is a great find. How often does something original belonging to Lizzie Borden come up for sale. Not many.

Yes< the bird letter is very amusing. My friend Len and I have debated to which sort of bird it may have been. I can picture it though.......this fancy exotic bird in an elaborately ornate gilt cage, and Mrs. John Brayton Jr. placing it out on the porch early in the morning. You would think after living on busy 2nd street all her life, a little bird chirping (or "crowing") wouldn't be such a nuisance. But, it's Lizzie Borden we are talking about.

It's a shame really. Letters such as these should be in the hands of the Historical Society so we could all enjoy them.

Below is a photo of the John Brayton Jr. house, where the little bird lived and crowed. Maplecroft is directly across the street.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
darthvader

Post by darthvader »

Looks like this item ended unsold with an asking price of $11,000. Without authentication that is a pretty tough sell. Even with that, I would say it is overpriced by about $5500. When Lizzie's signature shows up, clipped from a document or otherwise it brings in the $4500 range, in a great market. But today's market is pretty weak unless it is a Maryilyn Monroe or JFK item.

But if you want a bargin there are two other items available at the moment;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1884-SIGNE ... 6095069%26

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1889-SIGNATURE- ... 35c3cd307e
Franz

Post by Franz »

Harry wrote:Nice find, MB. Lizzie's hand writing is hard to read.

I like the one where she complains about the barking dog. Reminds me of the current owner. :wink:
In that letter she includes her neighbors. Wonder if they knew. Also that letter is not signed L A Borden but "Neighbor". Curious.

The price is down to $13,000 with a $50 shipping charge. Let me check my wallet... nope, out of $1000 bills.
Didn't Lizzie love animals? Did a barking dog trouble her so much?

My dog is just a very...barking terrier.
"Mr. Morse, when you were told for the THIRD time that Abby and Andrew had been killed, why did you pronounce a "WHAT" to Mrs. Churchill? Why?"
Kat

Lizzie Letters Frm MB/NICE ITEM

Post by Kat »

Thank you so much for posting these letters from Lizzie from e-bay, mb!
One is the barking dog nuisance, signed "neighbor"-- and the other is to the Kenney folks about moving their house, I think?
Great find!
Now, if we could only read them! :wink:

Edit here: Not Emma's Wheaton(I'm watching the Wheaton, Illinois Christmas concert- and I read Harry's posts when I'm missing him...)