Has Anyone Read This Book?

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Susan

Has Anyone Read This Book?

Post by Susan »

While doing a Lizzie search I came across this book that was published in 1997; The Press On Trial by Lloyd, Jr. Chiasson.

"Perhaps no drama catches the interest of the American public more than a spectacular trial. Even though the reporting of a crime may quickly diminish in news value, the trial lingers while drama builds. Although this has become seemingly more pronounced in recent years with the popularity of televised trials, public interest in criminal trials was just as high in 1735 when John Peter Zenger defended his right to free speech, or in 1893 when Lizzie Borden was tried for the murder of her father and stepmother. This book tells the stories of sixteen significant trials in American history and their media coverage, from the Zenger trial in 1735 to the O. J. Simpson trial in 1995. Each chapter relates the history of events leading up to the trial, the people involved, and how the crimes and subsequent trials were reported."

It sounds interesting though the hardcover version carries a steep price tag. Wonder if anyone has read it and found it worthy?

Heres a link to the page:

http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?i ... 13300224-2
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

http://www.google.com/froogle?q=+The+Pr ... ch+Froogle

I ALWAYS use the froogle link from google..

It is $26.95 at Walmart.com in paperback.

You can use a walmart shopping card to buy and do not have to use a credit card online.
diana

Post by diana »

There's a used (paperback) copy on abebooks.com for about $14 -- and a couple on Bookfinder.com for about $17. It sounds interesting -- good cases -- but I'm wondering about the piece on Lizzie. Chiasson edits the book -- but the chapter dealing with the Borden case is written by Donald Avery and entitled "Elizabeth Borden Took an Ax". I'm thinking if he can't even get her name right .... ?
Kat

Post by Kat »

This is listed in Stef's Bibliography. I thought there might be an annotation but there's not.
Avery, Donald R. "The Case of Lizzie Borden, 1893." The Press on Trial: Crimes and Trials as Media Events. Ed. Lloyd Chiasson. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1997. 49-61.

http://lizzieandrewborden.com/Resources ... htm#essays
Susan

Post by Susan »

Thanks all, I probably should check my local library and see if they carry it first before buying it, it just sounds so intriguing. Yes, Diana, I noticed that too, Elizabeth, I mean, if you're going to write about the woman, at least get her name correct, they printed it in all the paperwork of the time as Lizzie, what makes them think its short for Elizabeth for crying out loud? :roll:
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

especially because you would think a book worth reading would have been properly reseearched....
Kat

Post by Kat »

Since you're Bordenites you'll believe this (if you weren't- you wouldn't) but the author actually gives a footnote to the rhyme!
Here is his reference excatly as cited- pretend it's in quotes:

Lizzie Borden: (http://web2.xerox.com/digitrad/song=FALLRIVR)

I just tried removing the parenthesis and giving the rest as a URL, but it won't go there :?:
augusta

Post by augusta »

I have noticed that these anthologies that include the Borden case, with the exception of Edmund Pearson's writings, are horrible. Unless the chapters are written by different people. But the writer who's doing all of them in the book doesn't research them thoroughly and they end up with something quite useless. I'm just talking about the ones I've read. Maybe there's some out there that are swell. But the ones I've gotten hold of really stink.

Great posts, Diana & Audrey, in finding the book at lower prices. :grin: