New Lizzie photo on E-Bay!

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Mark A.

New Lizzie photo on E-Bay!

Post by Mark A. »

Check out this E-bay link to the latest supposed photo of our dear Ms. Borden. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 17659&rd=1
Are all photos of females from the 1800's a possible Lizzie Borden photo?
Mark A.
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Those scans are barely clear enough to make out it's a female, let alone Lizzie. There should be a law against somebody saying "Take a Look," and then not showing anything good enough to identify.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks Mark!
Boy, that pic is so unclear, I can't even "Save" it and put the usual moustache on her!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Before the guy puts it up for sale, hoping someone would buy it because it "certainly looks like" Lizzie, he should at least do some research, find out where Lockport, NY is, find out when R.W. Land was in business...it could turn out that the Lockport Historical Society has a record of the photography business and knows that the guy. By saying, it certainly looks like the 1800s is just admitting to sloppy research, or no research at all. As for me, I don't see a resemblance to Lizzie. Perhaps it's the dress that just suggests Lizzie.
A book shall be an axe for the frozen sea within us -- Franz Kafka
Mark A.

Post by Mark A. »

Here we go again! yet another supposed Lizzie pic on E-bay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 22280&rd=1
Is every photo taken in Fall River in the late 1800's Lizzie Borden? I mean really. Wouldn't it be something to see an actual real photo of Lizzie that we have never seen before? Boy, I wonder what the bidding your be on that.
Mark A.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

There is another Lizzie Borden photo on ebay right now, but it's definately a different Lizzie Borden.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

Poof!!! They're gone!

Gramma
She was acquitted!
Harry

Post by Harry »

I love the description the seller posted:

"Photograph of L. (Lizzie?) Borden 1895

3-1/4 x 5-1/5 inch photograph of a woman. The back has: "April 28, 1895 / L. Borden 20 years old. I haven't a clue!"

Not a clue? Let's see - Lizzie was born in July 1860 which would have made her almost 35 in April 1895. Last time I checked 35 was not 20. Don't know about the new math though. :smile:

http://tinyurl.com/9w3no

*Note the size of the URL I posted and compare that with the actual URL of the web page. One of the extensions on the Firefox browser enables you to convert these long, long URL addresses to a much shorter version.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Gramma @ Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:15 am wrote:Poof!!! They're gone!

Gramma

I hope they're gone, Gramma! Mark posted that message a year ago this month. But then again you already knew that didn't you, you little dickins? :wink:

It's amazing what people will try to sell on ebay. Maybe one of us Lizzieites ought to be put in charge of screening the Borden items, not that ebay would go along with it but it would save some of the public from fraud. It's a thought anyway.

I wonder what that poor guy, who paid $35,000.00 for that cheese sandwich with "Mary's" image on it, is doing right now? Probably feeling for his wallet. :shock:

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Harry @ Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:24 am wrote:I love the description the seller posted:

3-1/4 x 5-1/5 inch photograph of a woman. The back has: "April 28, 1895 / L. Borden 20 years old. I haven't a clue!"

Not a clue? Let's see - Lizzie was born in July 1860 which would have made her almost 35 in April 1895. Last time I checked 35 was not 20. Don't know about the new math though. :smile:

*Note the size of the URL I posted and compare that with the actual URL of the web page. One of the extensions on the Firefox browser enables you to convert these long, long URL addresses to a much shorter version.

That one is certainly not our Lizzie. A possible distant relative maybe.

Thank's for the browser tip, Harry. I have yet to download Firefox but I'll have to do that this week. I'm having nothing but trouble with Microopoly's IE, like walking through wet cement it's so slow. :scratch: :sleeping:

-1bigsteve (o:
Harry

Post by Harry »

You don't have to use Firefox to use the tiny URL feature. Firefox enables you to build it into their browser for convenience but it's actually a separate application. Adding it in as an extension on the browser saves you from going to this website to shrink the URL. It may be possible to add it to other browsers but I haven't tried to do that.

http://tinyurl.com/
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Kat

Post by Kat »

Harry @ Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:24 am wrote:I love the description the seller posted:

Did you guys notice the girl's jewelry?
She has a lizard/chameleon pin at her throat, with a *leash* (chain).
It looks so SouthWest Modern!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Did they have jewelry like that in 1895? Mabe this is one of those modern pictures that is made to look old, like those pictures taken in the cowboy outfits. Someone could have put the 1895 date on it not to decieve anyone fiancially, but to make it look more authentic for their own personal collection.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
Susan

Post by Susan »

It seems that they did have such jewelry in the 1890s.

1890s sterling, faux gems, german

From this site:
http://www.limogesbox.com/156.htm

c.1890 14Kt. yellow gold STICKPIN in the form a spotted lizard, salamander or gecko.

From this site:

http://www.carolinesjewelry.com/stickpins.html

1890 to 1910

From this site: http://www.antiquingonline.com/cgi.bin/ ... /54130.htm

Apparently there was symbolism in Victorian jewelry, the Salamander or lizard stood for passionate love.
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Allen

Post by Allen »

Very nice find Susan. Thanks for the links as well, I enjoyed looking around on all of the sites you provided. They have some very lovely pieces of jewelry.
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

It seems to me I remember hearing of people wearing the real deal, live, attached with a jeweled, pinned leash. It was only the faint of heart that created the market for the entire jewelled version. I think the same thing was done with various bugs........sorry Kat......know you might find this a bit queasey.

Gramma
She was acquitted!
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I heard the same thing, Gramma.

Hey I got an Idea, Gramma. Let's get Kat a great big snake, one of those wrap-around neck warmers! What do you say? She'll love that! :peanut19:

-1bigsteve (o:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Those lizards-on-a-leash go in and out of style around here.
Kids wear them on their shirts.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Kat @ Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:40 pm wrote:Those lizards-on-a-leash go in and out of style around here.
Kids wear them on their shirts.

Here in California people "wear" Iguana lizards on their shirts and some are almost two feet long! Boas (snakes) are also worn around their necks. It's enough to give you the creeps. :shock:

-1bigsteve (o: