For Sale: Authentic 1893 Lizzie Borden news coverage

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Allen

For Sale: Authentic 1893 Lizzie Borden news coverage

Post by Allen »

This item is now for sale on ebay. It claims to be and original complete issue of Leslie's Weekly dated June 29, 1893 with a story about the trial and aquittal of Lizzie Borden with photos included.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 52526&rd=1
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an original 1893 NY Sun newspaper with headlines "Lizzie Borden Free...."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 91591&rd=1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok I can see the interest there...but who would be interested in a 1962 copy of a Fall River phone book?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 10928&rd=1
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Old telephone directories contain a wealth of historical information about a community. Names and addresses of thousands of residents and businesses, yellow pages ads for old businesses, etc.

I own Greater New Bedford phone books for 1981 and for 1957 (the year before I was born). They are great reference material. I wish I had more, but when I see them in a local used book store, they're usually $25 apiece or more.
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
Kat

Post by Kat »

The Leslie's Weeklyissue like this one was on sale last month. I don't know if it's the same issue. I think the final sale price was less than this.
It looks good, but too pricey for me.
The shippng tho, for these two items are $6.50 and $7.00, respectively. That seems like a lot?
Thanks for the links to things I can't have! :smile:
snokkums

e-bay

Post by snokkums »

:lol: That is so cool!! Thanks for the information
roibn
Kat

Post by Kat »

Is that a lot for shipping, does anyone know?
william

Post by william »

That would be a lot for shipping, Kat, but not if it included special handling.
Printed items of this nature should be packed in acid free and archival safe
material
Kat

Post by Kat »

The shipping instructions say $6.75 but the item detail says $6.50. Someone is going to have a delay.
Otherwise, it's not specified if archival materials will be used in shipping.
Thanks for answering, Bill!
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

The last while I have seen a few supposedly original 19th century newspapers about the Borden case on e-bay. I have a reprinted copy of the Fall River Daily Globe from August 5th 1892, it was given to me by a friend who informed me that it was reprinted around the time of the Conference at Bristol College in 1992. Nowhere on this newspaper can I find anything saying that it is a reprint. This newspaper has also darkened with age as newspapers do. So I have to wonder about some of the newspapers for sale that are supposed to be original.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
Kat

Post by Kat »

That is very interesting!
Nancy says she has original Newspapers from when the Conference was on too. I never knew what to believe about that- because I thought those things would have been way too expensive, and I felt like I hadn't asked the right questions of her- that I misunderstood.
Maybe there were reprints? And if it doesn't say on there- someone might not know. :?: