Another LIzzie Signature for sale

Buy, Sell, Trade or just discuss Lizzie-related Items Here!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Stefani

Another LIzzie Signature for sale

Post by Stefani »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2241951763

This one sounds interesting, but not necessarily real. What do you think?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Apparently it's a loose page out of context.
Is that worthwhile?
Mark A.

Post by Mark A. »

For some strange reason I can't picture Miss lizzie prancing around town autographing anything. Can you say fake??
Mark A.
diana

Post by diana »

That was my original reaction. I just don't see the Lizzie I know signing her autograph in the street, for example. I supposed she could have signed an autograph book belonging to a very close friend but if so ... the book would have to be intact with provenance to establish any credibility.
Harry

Post by Harry »

I don't like the look of the "e" in Borden. Lizzie made an odd shaped "e". It also looks too good, almost like a tracing.
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

I've gotta vote with the gentleman from South Carolina on this one - it's suspicious...and also looks too good!![/b]
Harry

Post by Harry »

So far no bids on the signature.

Since the only thing Lizzie was "famous" for was being a murderess (even tho acquitted) I would think she would be offended by someone asking her for her autograph. Since it's a page from an autograph book that would mean the person had to go up to Lizzie and ask her to sign it. Now that would take courage.

It's also written in pencil. If I was a collector of autographs I would want them in ink and not pencil.
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

One more thing...it 's rather unusual fo it to be on the LEFT page, rather than the right, isn't it? (Unless the book was VERY full of autographs...) Also, it doesn't exhibit the fine penmanship that Lizzie was famous for.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Hi Stuart!

I recently came across an autograph book from our father's school days.
It was dated 1940.
All friends signed on the right except one, a girl.
The book was not full, maybe 1/2 full.
The first autograph was his mother.

Maybe she signed before giving him the book, like a keepsake. It was for some graduation.
That might be a gift from a mother.
lydiapinkham

Post by lydiapinkham »

I agree that the resemblance is almost too striking, and the lack of context is troublesome. One more non-autograph possibility, though, is that it is the flyleaf of a book from her library. Some people might conceivably tear the thing out, thinking the book itself to be worthless; it might also account for the left hand page, where I've seen many sign their books.

All in all, no bid from this direction.

--Lyddie
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Doesn't it seem odd that all of Lizzie's "signatures" that have shown up on eBay in the last couple of years have all been done in pencil? (The one exception being that VERY expensive ledger book that comes in its own briefcase.) Somewhere out there, I think that Larry Archibald Borden is having fun with us!
Mark A.

Post by Mark A. »

Why is it that every time an expensive Lizzie autograph or item comes up for bid, the bidders Id is kept private? Whats up with that? Maybe some of our own are secretly bidding on these items!
Mark A.