Abby's secret to great pies

Here is where you can discuss anything Victorian!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Audrey

Abby's secret to great pies

Post by Audrey »

Rosewater

Made by boiling 1 cup red rose petals with 1 cup water until leaves turn translucent and all color is extracted - about 10 minutes. Saucepan should be covered and allowed to "age" overnight in the refrigerator. Strain petals. Funnel into a bottle. Stores for about 2 weeks in the refrigerator. For Sweetened Rosewater, add 2 Tbs. of raw honey before boiling.

There are a lot of recipes on the net for an apple and orange tart using rosewater on the crust.... It sounds delicous.

6 medium oranges. I used valencia oranges, though temple oranges, blood oranges, and seville oranges should all work as well. Both bitter (seville) and sweet oranges were available during the 16th C. Don't use navel oranges; the skins are too thick.
4 cups water
1 1/3 cup honey
14 small Macintosh apples. Any small cooking apple should do.
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
2 Tbsp rosewater
1 Tbsp sugar
1 9" pie crust and lid (If you use a storebought or a shortening and cold watercrust, bake it 10 minutes before adding stuff. If you use the crust recipe that appears with this redaction, there's no need to bake the crust beforehand)
Soak oranges in water for 24 hours. In a large saucepan, mix honey with 4 cups of the water used to soak the oranges, add the oranges, bring to a boil, and simmer until the peels on the oranges feel soft. Place the oranges in a container and pour on all the syrup. If there is not enough syrup to compleetly cover the oranges when weighted, add a little more water. Put a plate or other heavy object on top of the oranges to hold them under the syrup, cover your container, and let the oranges soak for 24 hours.
When you're ready to bake, preheat oven to 350F. Slice oranges and remove the seeds. If the syrup has not completely saturated the rinds, boil the slices in the syrup until the rinds are saturated (this should not be necessary). Chop the oranges into small pieces (I used a blender), and mix in 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp ginger. Peel, core, and quarter your apples, mix them with the remaining sugar, cinnamon, and ginger. Make and roll your pie crust. Place a layer of apples on the bottom of the crust, cover with a layer of oranges. Repeat the layering until you're out of filling. (Typically, you'll get two layers of each) Put on the lid, crimp the edges, and bake for 1 hour.

Ten minutes before the pie finishes baking, mix your rosewater and sugar and stir over low heat until it becomes syruppy. Five minutes before the pie finishes baking, remove the pie from the oven, brush on the rosewater syrup, and return the pie to the oven until the hour is up.

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/andrew.cmu. ... tarte.html
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

If I had access to fresh rose petals I would make this today!
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

May I place an order for one of your pies please ?

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

That will be $100
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

And I will include a generous tip of course.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Liz Crouthers

Post by Liz Crouthers »

Really bet cha got that from Mrs. Potter