Whale Teeth Stolen

Here is where you can discuss anything Victorian!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

augusta

Whale Teeth Stolen

Post by augusta »

In the online version of Southcoast Today, there is an interesting story about the historical society at Metapoisset (now I know that's not the right spelling...). Someone broke in and stole two of their large whale teeth, valued at $1,000 apiece. They said you make scrimshaw out of whale teeth, and you can't get whale teeth anymore. (They're ivory.) I think they stole a couple of harpoons, too. Worth looking at. Sorry I can't post a link here.
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Kat

Post by Kat »

:peanut8: :peanut7:
I think you 2 share a birthday!
Edisto

Post by Edisto »

Thanks for the link, Doug!
I subscribe to a publication called AntiqueWeek that regularly carries stories about thefts like this. It's helpful, because people often try to unload their loot by consigning it to auctions or sellling it to antique dealers. (If I have any question about the ownership of an item, I get the person selling it to sign a statement that he/she is the legal owner and has the authority to sell the item. I've never gotten into trouble so far -- knock wood!)
"To lose one parent...may be regarded as misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."
-Oscar Wilde ("The Importance
of Being Earnest," 1895)
augusta

Post by augusta »

Thanks for posting the link, Doug. I wasn't able to at the time. Still getting to know my new computer.

Yes, Kat. Doug and I share a birthday. He's the only person I ever knew that did.

Which one is me?
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Just because all road lead to Lizzie...

Mattapoisett of the stolen whale teeth is between Fairhaven Guy's turf and Marion (where Lizzie visited with the girls). The other area which had been called Mattapoisett (and also Wannamoisett) is Gardner's Neck (where the lower Borden Farm is located).