New things and Holmes

Here is where you can discuss anything Victorian!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

DWilly

New things and Holmes

Post by DWilly »

I had to edit this post big time after I read a few posts on here and realized parts of it have been covered already. This first part just adds on to some of the new things Lizzie may have seen if she did indeed go to the Chicago Fair. On page 187, Rebello has a little piece called, "Lizzie at the Fair." It tells about Lizzie, Caroline Borden and Alice Buck all going to the Chicago Fair in Oct. 1893. Well, like a few others on this board I just finished reading Erik Larson's book, "The Devil In The White City," which is about the Fair and America's first serial killer H. H. Holmes. Good book by the way. Anyway, what I found interesting were all of the things past, present and future that Lizzie would have seen if she did in fact go to the fair. Some of the things Lizzie might have seen or tried:

Buffalo Bill Cody and Annie Oakley

Juicy Fruit Gum

Cracker Jacks

The Ferris Wheel

Aunt Jemima pancakes

A dish washer

A lot of electrical gadgets

Belly dancers

Susan B. Anthony

Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer

In the book Larson makes that Ferris Wheel sound down right scary. It sounds like it was bigger and at first not all that safe. I can just picture Lizzie riding this thing and munching on Cracker Jacks.

As for Holmes. A horrible person. In many ways he was like Ted Bundy. By that I mean he was handsome, charming with women and whereas Bundy became a lawyer, Holmes became a doctor. Holmes did go to Boston for a time. I wonder if Lizzie followed his trial?
Kat

Post by Kat »

I love this topic and I love the Exposition and that book!

Here is the first Ferris wheel. It was designed to out-do the Eiffel Tower, which was a big hit at the Paris Exposition of 1889.
The *cars* on the wheel look to be huge- like boxcars!

I collected these pics from websites on the Columbian Exposition of 1893. I think one is from The Library of Congress. They usually have frames around their images.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

I had read the book some time ago, primarily because it touches Gustavus Swift and Lizzie. It was an excellent read.
Allen

Post by Allen »

Just a few links that have to do with the fair. I also love this topic! I have not read the book, but I'm putting it on my list of things to do. (It's so long now I'm not sure when that will be but it's on there.) I love those pictures Kat! :smile:

http://xroads.virginia.edu/%7EMA96/WCE/title.html

http://www.neuronet.pitt.edu/~bogdan/tesla/chicago.htm

http://users.vnet.net/schulman/Columbian/columbian.html

http://www.washingtonmo.com/1893/index2.htm
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
joe

Post by joe »

I'm reading "Depraved" by Harold Schechter. Not as good as "Devil in the White City", IMHO. Covers more bio of HHH. A decent read.
'97 Harley Road King with Gramma in the sidecar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. ~ Edgar A. Poe
Kat

Post by Kat »

I read that! Also "Fatal" by Schecter.

Right now I am reading YOUR BOOK JOE!
The Murder of Andrew Sigler

Your dialogue is great and I really liked that you put your library into the book as a meeting spot!
joe

Post by joe »

Kat @ Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:19 pm wrote:I read that! Also "Fatal" by Schecter.

Right now I am reading YOUR BOOK JOE!
The Murder of Andrew Sigler

Your dialogue is great and I really liked that you put your library into the book as a meeting spot!
Cool! They really did meet at the library.
'97 Harley Road King with Gramma in the sidecar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. ~ Edgar A. Poe
Kat

Post by Kat »

Well, since you are Director of that Library I thought you might have been artistic taking liberties :smile:- but you say they met there -- that is fascinating!
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Has anyone seen this documentary yet? It looks kind of interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00097 ... armin05-20