Victorian Thanksgiving

Here is where you can discuss anything Victorian!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

nbcatlover

Victorian Thanksgiving

Post by nbcatlover »

I've found Thanksgiving Cards, so I know the holiday was actively celebrated, but I can't find a Victorian Thanksgiving Menu. Can you help?

http://www.upamerica.org/Rebas/thanksgiving.html

I've found one Christmas menu with roast turkey, however:
A VICTORIAN CHRISTMAS DINNER
Menu from Godey's Lady's Book, December 1890

Prepare an authentic Victorian Christmas dinner from oysters to pate, from turkey to quail, with punch, fancy cakes and coffee.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raw Oysters
Bouillon
Fried smelts.................................Sauce tartare
Potatoes a la Maitre d' Hotel
Sweetbread Pates............................Peas
Roast Turkey..................Cranberry Sauce
Roman Punch
Quail with Truffles.............Rice Croquettes
Parisian Salad
Crackers and Cheese
Nesselrode Pudding.............Fancy Cakes
Fruit......................Coffee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RAW OYSTERS
Have blue-point oysters; serve upon the half shell, the shells being laid upon oyster plates filled with cracked ice; six oysters and a thick slice of lemon being served upon each plate.

BOUILLON
Put into a pot three pounds of shin beef, one pound of knuckle of veal, and three quarts of water, and simmer gently. As soon as the scum begins to rise, skim carefully until it quite ceases to appear. Then add salt, two carrots, the same of onions, turnips, and a little celery. Simmer gently four hours, strain, and serve in bouillon cups to each guest.

FRIED SMELTS. SAUCE TARTARE
Clean about two dozen smelts, cut off the gills, wash them well in cold water, and then dry them thoroughly. Put in a pinch of salt and pepper in a little milk, into which dip your smelts, and then roll them in cracker dust. Put into a frying pan some lard, in which, when very hot, fry your smelts a light brown. Also fry some parsley, which place around your fish, and serve with sauce tartare.

SAUCE TARTARE
Put the yolks of two eggs in a bowl with salt, pepper, the juice of a lemon, and one teaspoonful of dry mustard. Stir with a wooden spoon, and add by degrees-- in very small quantities, and stirring continuously-- a tablespoonful of vinegar; then, a few drops at a time, some good oil, stirring rapidly all the time, until your sauce thicken, and a half a pint of oil has been absorbed. Chop one pickle and a tablespoonful of capers, also chop a green onion and a few tarragon leaves, and mix with your sauce.

POTATOES A la MAITRE d'HOTEL
Wash eight potatoes, and boil them in cold water with a pinch of salt. When thoroughly done, peel them cut them in thin round slices; put them--with three ounces of butter, a pinch of salt, pepper and a nutmeg, the juice of a lemon, and a tablespoonful of chopped parsley--in a saucepan on the fire, and, when very hot, serve.

SWEETBREAD PATES
Boil four sweetbreads, and let them become cold; then chop them very fine, add about ten mushrooms, also chopped fine. Mix with these a quarter pound of butter, half a pint of milk, a little flour, pepper, salt, and a little grated nutmeg. Put upon the fire, stir until it begins to thicken, then put in puff-paste that has been prepared, and bake until light brown.

PEAS
Open a can of peas, soak in clear water for half an hour, then put upon the fire in clean water, let them boil up hard, drain well and serve with butter, pepper and salt.

ROAST TURKEY
Clean and prepare a medium sized turkey for roasting. Cut two onions in pieces, and put them in a saucepan with two ounces of butter, and color them slightly. Grate a pound of bread into fine crumbs, add the bread to your onions, the turkey's heart and liver chopped very fine, quarter of a pound of butter, salt, pepper, a pinch of thyme, and mix all well together. Stuff the turkey with this mixture, sew up the opening through which you have introduced the stuffing, and put it to roast, with a little butter on top and a wineglassful of water; roast an hour and a half; strain your liquor in the pan, pour over your turkey, and serve.

CRANBERRY SAUCE
Take one quart of cranberries, pick and wash carefully, put upon the fire with half a teacupful of water, let them stew until thoroughly broken up, then strain and add one pound and a quarter of sugar; put into a mould and turn out when cold.

ROMAN PUNCH
Put in a saucepan on the fire three-quarters of a pound of sugar with three pints of water, boil ten minutes, then put aside to become cold. Put in a freezer, and when nearly frozen, stir into it rapidly a gill of rum and the juice of four lemons. Serve in small glasses.

RICE CROQUETTES
Take one cupful of rice, wash and boil it, and let it get thoroughly cold. Beat up with it one egg, a teaspoonful of sugar and the same of melted butter, salt and a little nutmeg. Work this mixture into the rice, stirring until all is well mixed and the lumps worked out. Make, with floured hands, into oblong rolls about three inches in length, and half an inch in diameter. Coat these thickly with flour, and set them in a cold place until needed. Fry a few at a time in hot lard, rolling them over as they begin to brown to preserve their shape. As each is taken from the fire, put into a colander to drain and dry.

PARISIAN SALAD
Cut in small pieces six cold boiled potatoes, the same quantity of beets, and also of boiled celery--both cold. Mix the yolks of four hard boiled eggs with two tablespoonfuls of anchovy sauce, press through a sieve; add, little by little, four tablespoonfuls of oil, one tablespoonful of mustard, two tablespoonfuls of vinegar, a few tarragon leaves chopped fine, two pinches of salt, two of pepper, and the whites of four hard boiled eggs, cut in pieces, mix all well together, and serve.

CRACKERS AND CHEESE
Place on separate dishes, and serve with the salad.

NESSELRODE PUDDING
Remove the shells from two dozen French chestnuts, which put in a saucepan with a little water, then peel off the skin, and put the chestnuts in a saucepan on the fire with a pint of water and one pound of sugar. Boil them until very soft, then press them through a sieve; the put them in a saucepan with one pint of cream, in which you mix the yolks of four eggs. Just before boiling put your mixture through a sieve, add an ounce of stoned raisins, an ounce of currants, two sherry glasses of sherry wine, and freeze it like ice-cream. When frozen, cut four candied apricots, four candied green gages, half an ounce of citron in small pieces, three ounces of candied cherries; mix them thoroughly into the pudding, which is put into a mould, a thick piece of paper on top, and the cover securely shut down upon it. Put some cracked ice, mixed with two handfuls of rock salt, into a bowl, in the middle of which put your mould, covering it entirely with ice and salt; let it remain two hours, then turn it out of the mould, first dipping it into warm water.

MACAROONS
Put half a pound of almonds in boiling water, remove the skins, then put the almonds in cold water, then put them in the oven to dry. Pound them to a paste, adding the white of an egg; then add a pound and a half of powdered sugar, again pound well, adding the whites of two eggs. Spread on a pan a sheet of white paper, pour the mixture into little rounds somewhat smaller than a fifty cent piece, place them on top of the paper in your pan, about an inch and a half apart. Put them in a gentle oven for twelve minutes, the door of the oven shut; at the end of that time, if they are well colored, remove them from the oven, let them become cold, turn the paper upside down, moisten it with a little water and remove the macaroons.

FRUIT
Arrange grapes, apples, bananas and oranges upon fancy dishes, with gaily colored leaves and ivy branches around them.

COFFEE
Take one quart of boiling water, one even cupful of freshly ground coffee, wet with half a cupful of cold water, white and shell of one egg. Stir into the wet coffee the white and shell, the latter broken up small. Put the mixture into the coffee pot, shake up and down six or seven times hard, to insure thorough incorporation of the ingredients, and pour in the boiling water. Boil steadily twelve minutes, pour in half a cupful of cold water, and remove instantly to the side to settle. Leave it there five minutes; lift and pour off gently the clear coffee. Serve in small cups, and put no sugar in the coffee. Lay, instead, a lump in each saucer, to be used as the drinker likes.
Source:
http://www.victoriana.com/christmas/menu-99.htm

I wondered if the Bordens celebrated an American Thanksgiving. Somehow I don't think they invited the relatives. Hope there was no mutton on their menu!!!

Personally, we did fried scallops wrapped in bacon as appetizers. Don't mind the raw oysters, but the smelts and the sweetbreads don't do it for me.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

I don't quite know what happened with this topic--it should not be here 3 times. But the screen just froze up on me after hitting submit, and voila: Thanksgiving x 3 for all you big eaters!

Here's a cranberry pie recipe from 1891. They put meringue on top. Yum!

http://www.pilgrimhall.org/ThanksPieCranberry2.htm
Kat

Post by Kat »

Wow! They ate all that at one meal? Or did they just pretend to?
Thanks for the menu!
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Kat--you're definitely not Portuguese. My mother would have died at having so little for guests to eat at Thanksgiving.

Another thing about traditional Portuguese guests. They would get invited to dinner AND BRING FOOD to the celebration as well.

It's a big, over-production thing. It's kind of like the Borden's mutton. The Thanksgiving food can take you to Christmas.

Audrey would make a great guest. She could bring a Rosewater pie:
Made by boiling 1 cup red rose petals with 1 cup water until leaves turn translucent and all color is extracted - about 10 minutes. Saucepan should be covered and allowed to "age" overnight in the refrigerator. Strain petals. Funnel into a bottle. Stores for about 2 weeks in the refrigerator. For Sweetened Rosewater, add 2 Tbs. of raw honey before boiling.

There are a lot of recipes on the net for an apple and orange tart using rosewater on the crust.... It sounds delicous.

6 medium oranges. I used valencia oranges, though temple oranges, blood oranges, and seville oranges should all work as well. Both bitter (seville) and sweet oranges were available during the 16th C. Don't use navel oranges; the skins are too thick.
4 cups water
1 1/3 cup honey
14 small Macintosh apples. Any small cooking apple should do.
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
2 Tbsp rosewater
1 Tbsp sugar
1 9" pie crust and lid (If you use a storebought or a shortening and cold watercrust, bake it 10 minutes before adding stuff. If you use the crust recipe that appears with this redaction, there's no need to bake the crust beforehand)
Soak oranges in water for 24 hours. In a large saucepan, mix honey with 4 cups of the water used to soak the oranges, add the oranges, bring to a boil, and simmer until the peels on the oranges feel soft. Place the oranges in a container and pour on all the syrup. If there is not enough syrup to compleetly cover the oranges when weighted, add a little more water. Put a plate or other heavy object on top of the oranges to hold them under the syrup, cover your container, and let the oranges soak for 24 hours.
When you're ready to bake, preheat oven to 350F. Slice oranges and remove the seeds. If the syrup has not completely saturated the rinds, boil the slices in the syrup until the rinds are saturated (this should not be necessary). Chop the oranges into small pieces (I used a blender), and mix in 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp ginger. Peel, core, and quarter your apples, mix them with the remaining sugar, cinnamon, and ginger. Make and roll your pie crust. Place a layer of apples on the bottom of the crust, cover with a layer of oranges. Repeat the layering until you're out of filling. (Typically, you'll get two layers of each) Put on the lid, crimp the edges, and bake for 1 hour.

Ten minutes before the pie finishes baking, mix your rosewater and sugar and stir over low heat until it becomes syruppy. Five minutes before the pie finishes baking, remove the pie from the oven, brush on the rosewater syrup, and return the pie to the oven until the hour is up.
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/andrew.cmu. ... tarte.html
Though quite honestly, I'd be afraid to ask everyone from the forum. I just know someone would bring the feared "pigeon pie."
Kat

Post by Kat »

Uh, that would be Stef...
:smile:
Allen

Post by Allen »

I noticed when I clicked on the link that it said it was a Victorian Christmas menu. So the menu for Christmas and Thanksgiving would've been about the same then?
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Susan

Post by Susan »

I found a 1896 cook book online with a menu for Thanksgiving and one for Christmas to give an idea of the differences. Though I do imagine every Victorian family had their Thanksgiving traditions and served what was right for them. :grin:

“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Susan--that's cool. That's actually the kind of comparison I was first looking for.

To tell you what kind of day I'm having, I saw the brandy sauce, and underneath the bonbons. I thought it said bourbon. Go, you Victorians, you!
Susan

Post by Susan »

:lol: Bourbon. :lol: Yeah, it was pretty neat doing a search and finding out that Thanksgiving is actually a Victorian invention, I think it started being observed in like 1863. Celery was a newfangled thing at the time, it was an "in" thing to have on one's table, usually set out in a vase like flowers. I think by Lizzie's adulthood it was being served as an hors d'oeuvre with cream cheese in it.
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

Hi Cynthia,
Here is a look at what Plimouth Plantation serves as a "Victorian Thanksgiving". They research hard down there so I bet they've got it close to right.
A Victorian Thanksgiving Dinner

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Sold Out

Celebrate the quintessential American Holiday at our Victorian Thanksgiving Dinner. Victorian hosts will take you back to the mid-19th century to experience a delightfully familiar holiday feast. Enjoy the sweet harmonies of period singers and remember your Thanksgiving experience with a complimentary posy and souvenir program. Join us for an unforgettable taste of the good old days!

Bill of Fare:

Fall Harvest Fruits
Assorted Nuts
Victorian Relish Tray
Escalloped Oysters
Split Pea Soup
Roast Native Turkey with Giblet Gravy and
Traditional Bread Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes
Butternut Squash
Steamed Cape Cod Turnip
Harvard Beets
Creamed Onions
Cranberry Relish
Hot Crusty Rolls
Cider Cake
Gingerbread
And your choice of: Indian Pudding, Pumpkin Pie or Apple Pie
Wood-Pressed Apple Cider
Coffee
Adult: $70.95
Child (12 & under) $52.95

Adult Member: $56.95
Child Member: $43.95

Prices include museum admission and tax.

Museum admission includes: Hobbamock's (Wampanoag) Homesite, 1627 Pilgrim Village, Mayflower II, Crafts Center, and Nye Barn.

Advance reservations required.
We begin taking reservations at 9:00am on June 1, 2004.

Please note they are sold out, although I left the prices so you can appreciate your own dinner on Thanksgiving, knowing it probably was well under this per person! It did include a pass to the museum, though.

Gramma
She was acquitted!
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

OK ladies,
On Thanksgiving day, when your feet are screaming and you sink down exhausted to the meal finally complete, bow your heads and give thanks for the fact you did not have to go through this!
From the Rumford Complete Cookbook by Lily Hawkworth Wallace, ca 1908.

Page 35
"The Preparation of Poultry

Poultry should be cleaned and dressed as soon as possible after being killled. Pinfeathers are best removed with a small knife or by the aid of a tong-shaped strawberry huller.
To draw the tendons from the drumstick. make an incision lengthwise between the bones of the leg, below the joint, while the foot is still attached to the body. Next, take a strong, thin skewer and pick up the tendons, one at a time, through the incision; hold the skewer, with the tendon on it, with the first two fingers and give a vigorous pull. The tendon should come out easily, and the process can be repeated until all are removed. There are seven small and two large tendons. If these are removed the drumstick is likely to be as tenderas any portion of the bird.
The feet may now be cut off a little below the joint, and long hairs on the body removed by singeing. Do this by holding it over a burner of a gas range or by applying a lighted taper or twist of lighted paper.. The former method is the better one as there is no danger of smoking te skin.
To remove the down from a duck or goose, rub over with two teaspoons of alcohol, lay the bird in a dish or pan and set fire to the alcohol. The down will be burned offmore quickly and thoroughly than by any other method.
The bird is now ready for drawing and, especially if it is to be roasted, this had better be done at home as the butcher usually makes far too large an opening in the flesh. Make an incision in the skin below the breast bone and with the hand remove the gizzard, heart, intestines, and liver, being very careful not to break the gall bag which is attached to the latter, as it would cause the parts with which it comes in contact to taste bitter. Remove the lungs which lie on either side of the backbone, also the kidneys, windpipe and crop. The latter is reached by inserting the fingers under the skin of the neck after the head is cut off. The oil bag found at the base of the tail must also be removed. Wipe the bird well both inside inside and out. If there seem to be any indication that it has been held too long wash with water in which a little soda has been dissolved and put a small piece of charcoalin the body to absorb any possible odor."

Enjoy your turkey!!!
Remember this was a daily routinr if having chicken or any other poultry on the menu. I especially like the part about the charcoal to mask any off odors.
Does anyone know if poultry was on the menu before the murders? I have always suspected food poisoning of the natural kind as the reason everyone was sick (except Bridget, who I think was made ill by the events taking place in the house).

Gramma
She was acquitted!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Tuesday they had swordfish, and then warmed over swordfish.
There were pork steaks for breakfast Wednesday when Abby went across the street to Bowen and had her little *eruction* of vomit.
I guess she was OK enough to eat breakfast. :roll:
Anyway, these were vacations from that mutton all the time.

Thank you to those who typed a lot!!!
DWilly

Post by DWilly »

This thread is making me very hungry. :lol:

I wonder if Lizzie actually made anything to contribute to a feast? For that matter I wonder if Lizzie and Emma actually got into the holiday spirit at all. Think they may have drunk a little eggnog with Abby?
Harry

Post by Harry »

DWilly @ Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:33 pm wrote:This thread is making me very hungry. :lol:

I wonder if Lizzie actually made anything to contribute to a feast? For that matter I wonder if Lizzie and Emma actually got into the holiday spirit at all. Think they may have drunk a little eggnog with Abby?
Don't know whether they did get into the holiday spirit or not at home, but in Radin's book, (p51, paperback) it has these lines:

"With a group of friends she organized annual Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners for poor children and newsboys and she was an active worker in the kitchen, cooking and loading their plates."

This was before the murders.

Betcha, no one dared ask for seconds! :lol:
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Kat

Post by Kat »

That's actually a convenient way to get out of family celebration at holiday meals.
And makes her look good too.
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. Maybe Abby and Andrew went over to the Whitehead's and maybe it was a good thing for everyone if Lizzie did not attend. Good compromise.
It's possible. It's interesting...
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Actually, I'm home alone (with Buddy and Pumpkin--my cats) for Thanksgiving and LOVING IT!!! I have 5 days off from school and need to catch up on my normal life. I'm vegging out on T-day.

I ordered my Cajun injector brand fried turkey breast from QVC Friday. It should be here, on 2-day delivery by Tuesday. One half hour in the oven, and voila, the perfect turkey for one! (and Buddy and Pumpkin--who like people food!!!)

I remember pin feathers. My mother would singe them off and they stunk. I sure don't miss that. I thought convenience foods were invented just for me.

It's not that I can't cook, but I grew up around restaurant people. If
there aren't 20 or 30 eating, it ain't worth doin'.

With Abby and Andrew from the "older" generation, you have to wonder if they even celebrated Thanksgiving at all. Doing for others might have been the only way Lizzie could celebrate the holidays.
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

I just adore shopping for and cooking a huge feast!

I always serve a roasted turkey and 2 other meats, usually a rib roast and something very French...

and O LA LA, the pastries.... Mon Dieu!

From Thanksgiving through the 12th of January (The day AFTER my birthday) I eat whatever I want, with reckless abandon and to heck with the consequences...
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I would think that Holidays in the Martin home are divine ! All that wonderfully delicious food ! I will probably get a pie from Costco, and go to my Dad's.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Mrs. Smith now sells 2 slices of frozen pie- apple or pumpkin. :smile: Just enough.

I bet your roast beast is wonderful, Audrey! I've had a hankerin' for that lately.

I decided last year that what Thanksgiving means to me- is the end of Hurricane Season!
Kashesan

Post by Kashesan »

What, no prussic acid stuffing? (It just isn't Thanksgiving without it!)

:smiliecolors:
"It seemed friendly enough, but it had sharp claws and a great many teeth. Alice thought it best to treat it with respect"
Lewis Carroll
Haulover

Post by Haulover »

***Mrs. Smith now sells 2 slices of frozen pie- apple or pumpkin.***

i've noticed those. no good for me though -- i easily eat a whole pie. i especially like blackberry -- the best is by a mrs. something-else, i can't think of the name, i think it starts with a "C."
Harry

Post by Harry »

Do they still make custard pies? I keep looking but no luck.
Kashesan

Post by Kashesan »

Blackberry Pie Recipe

INGREDIENTS:

1 quart fresh blackberries, washed & drained
1 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
pastry for 2-crust 9-inch pie
1 tablespoon butter
PREPARATION:

Roll out half of the pie pastry and line a pie plate, leaving some overhang. Mix blackberries with sugar, salt, and flour. Fill pastry lined pie pan. Dot with butter. Roll out top crust; place carefully over filling and flute edges. Cut 3 or 4 slits in the top. Bake in a preheated 450° oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° and bake 25 minutes longer.
Serves 6 to 8.

Custard Pie

Servings: 2 pies
Prep. Time: :15
Total Time:
Ingredients:

2 pints milk
3 tbsp. butter
1 can condensed milk
5 tsp. vanilla essence
1-1/3 tbsp. custard powder
2-1/2 tbsp. cornflour
3 eggs
1 pkg. tea biscuits

Directions:
Crush the biscuits and mix with 1 butter, slightly melted. Divide mixture in two and press into 2 small pie dishes (or 1 large pie dish).

Beat the eggs and mix with Custard Powder and Cornflour.

Bring to a slow boil the milk, butter, condensed milk and vanilla essence. When it starts to boil, stir in egg mixture and stir vigorously until the mixture thickens.

Pour mixture into pie dishes, sprinkle some cinnamon on top and leave to cool. Place in refrigerator until ready to serve. Best eaten on same day, but can be made up to 1 day in advance.
Comments from Barbara Gilbert :
This recipe could also be used to make custard slices. Line a square dish with cream crackers instead of crushed biscuits, pour mixture over and end with a second layer of crackers. Drizzle some liquid icing over the top. When cooled, cut into slices.
"It seemed friendly enough, but it had sharp claws and a great many teeth. Alice thought it best to treat it with respect"
Lewis Carroll
Harry

Post by Harry »

The custard pies sounds delicious, Kash. I was hoping for some "store bought" pie.

Thanksgiving week is not the time to start on a diet but I'm afraid I better get started. Pass the celery.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Here's a Colonial Thanksgiving menu that Andrew might find close to the hearts of his Portsmouth Colony ancestors. It's the Mutton Stew as the MAIN COURSE, of course.
Colonial Thanksgiving
by WorldWideRecipes.com

Smoked Fish with Horseradish Sauce
Pumpkin Soup with Maple Cream
creamed mushrooms
Mutton Stew
Indian Pudding

Smoked Fish with Horseradish Sauce
Seafood was abundant and readily available to early colonists - lobsters and crabs were considered "trash" food and fed to the pigs. Smoking was an ancient method used both in Europe and the New World to preserve fish and meats, and a wide variety of smoked fish was available to the transplanted colonists. Serves 4-6

For the sauce:
3/4 cup (180 ml) mayonnaise
3/4 cup (180 ml) sour cream
1 tablespoons (15 ml) prepared horseradish, or to taste
1 tablespoons (15 ml) chopped capers
1 teaspoons (5 ml) lemon juice
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

For the fish:
1 lb. (450 g) smoked fish fillets such as trout, salmon, mackerel, or herring, skin and bones removed
lettuce leaves, thinly sliced onion, thinly sliced
radishes, and lemon wedges for garnish

Blend the ingredients for the sauce until thoroughly combined and refrigerate covered until ready to serve.
Arrange the smoked fish fillets on lettuce leaves, garnish with sliced onion, radishes, and lemon wedges. Serve with the horseradish sauce.

Pumpkin Soup with Maple Cream
There is no denying that, collectively, early American colonists had a sweet tooth. Sugar and other sweeteners were expensive and dishes containing them were considered a luxury. Maple syrup was the sweetener of choice in New England, but molasses, honey, or cane syrup might have been used elsewhere. Serves 6 to 8.

2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 rib celery, finely chopped
4 cups (1 L) chicken or vegetable stock
2 cups (500 ml) fresh or canned pumpkin puree (unsweetened)
2 cups (500 ml) half-and-half or milk
1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) ground ginger

For the garnish:
1/2 cup (125 ml) heavy cream whipped to soft peaks with
2 tablespoons (30 ml) maple syrup

Heat the butter in a large pot over moderate heat and sauté the onion and celery until tender but now brown, about 5 minutes.
Add the stock and pumpkin puree and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently.
Reduce the heat to low and stir in the half-and-half, ginger, salt, and pepper.
Bring back to a simmer but do not boil.
Serve garnished with a dollop of the maple cream.

Mutton Stew
Mutton was commonplace in early Colonial times, but is virtually impossible to find in the United States today. This recipe substitutes the less flavorful but more obtainable lamb for the traditional mutton, but if you can find the genuine article, please use it instead. Serves 4 to 6.

2 lbs (900 g) lean shoulder of lamb, cut into
2-inch (5 cm) cubes
all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter
2 cups (500 ml) beef stock
2-3 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes
2-3 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes
1-2 turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes
1-2 large onions, peeled and quartered

Season the lamb with salt and pepper and toss with flour to coat lightly.
Heat the butter in a large pot over high heat and brown the lamb on all sides.
Add the beef stock and bring to a boil, stirring to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
Cook tightly covered over very low heat or in a 350F (180C) oven for 1 to 2 hours, until the lamb is tender.
Add the vegetables and cook 30 minutes more, until the vegetables are tender.
Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.

Indian Pudding
The "Indian" in the name of this dish refers to the corn rather than the inventors of the dish. In 17th century English, the word "corn" was used to describe any grain, and "Indian corn" was used to differentiate this New World crop from other grains. In England they soon began to refer to it as maize, a term they borrowed from the Spanish "maiz" (with an accent over the "i"), but the colonists persisted in calling it "Indian corn." Eventually the "Indian" part was dropped and we Americans now refer to simply as "corn." The corns grown by the early colonists were primarily red and brown in color (the yellow and white varieties were developed later), and this dessert was notorious for its rich, blood red color. Serves 6 to 85 cups (1.25 L) milk
1/3 cup (80 ml) cornmeal
3/4 cup (180 ml) molasses
4 tablespoons (60 ml) butter
3 tablespoons (45 ml) sugar
1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) salt
1/2 cup (125 ml) raisins (optional)

Combine 4 cups (1 L) of the milk and the cornmeal in a pot set over another pot full of simmering water.
Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
Stir in the remaining ingredients and pour into a greased baking dish that is deeper than it is wide.
Bake in a preheated 300F (150C) for 1 hour.
Pour the remaining 1 cup
(250 ml) milk over the pudding without stirring and bake an additional 2 hours.
Serve hot or warm with cream or ice cream if desired.
Makes me understand why the holiday didn't quite catch on until Victorian times.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Kash, do you cook?
Have you tried that recipe?

Har, the best custard pie was at Morrison's Cafeteria. Do you remember that? :?:
Harry

Post by Harry »

Sorry Kat, we didn't have a Morrisons in my neighborhood.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Our Morrison's is now a Border's Bookstore. :smile:
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Wasn't Morrison's on International Drive? Or am I thinking of the wrong place completely?

Forget the Custard Pies! Make some Famous New England Grapenut Pudding!

1 quart milk
1 cup Grapenuts
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup sugar
Dash salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
Nutmeg

Warm the milk, then pour over Grapenuts in a bowl. Let stand 15 minutes. Then add beaten eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla, stirring to mix very well. Pour into 12"x9"x2" baking pan or dis. Sprinkle nutmeg over top just before baking. Place pani in larger pan with 1' or 2' of hot water in bottom of pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until custard is set (test by inserting table knife into center. It should come out clean if pudding is done. If not, bake 5 or 10 minutes longer.) May use 1/2 recipe.

Let it set for about 15 minutes (so it doesn't get runny when you scoop it out) to serve it warm. Top with a dollop of whipped cream.

Refrigerate the rest and serve it cold--also delicious!

In my family, we would adjust the recipe--we start with 14 eggs and make a really big pan of the stuff!
My dad and I would eat the left-over pudding for breakfast. (It's cereal, it's eggs.) Yum!
Kat

Post by Kat »

There could have been one there. Ours were in Winter Park and Altamonte Springs. This post card is of one in Ocala.
I could never forget their custard pie. If Har had tried it- he'd agree!
:smile:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Did the Morrison chain go out of business? Or did just individual ones close?
Kat

Post by Kat »

All gone!
Best cheap fried shrimp and tarter sauce on the planet. And Macaroni and cheese. And custard pie. I always got the same thing. Oh and the green beans with bacon.

I don't like that Borders Bookstore. Maybe that's why?
Kat

Post by Kat »

As I check Google Images, I find that Morrison's may have been just a Florida thing. Sorry, Har.

Do you like Tapioca? :smile:
I make a mean Tapioca!
Haulover

Post by Haulover »

it was not just in florida -- maybe it was regional. i remember them. there were many around. i remember their fried chicken and ice tea.

i seem to remember something about morrisons from 1984/85 -- i was a regular customer at one that closed. did they all close at once?
Kashesan

Post by Kashesan »

I cook a little Kat-haven't tried the pie recipes yet though.

:smiliecolors: k

Harry-Diet after the holidays!
Lewis Carroll
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Harry...

I would make you a custard pie the likes you've never tasted before!

You'd beg me to leave Thayne and run away with you after one bite!
Harry

Post by Harry »

Audrey, I'd run away with you with or without the custard pie. But I bet you do make a mean pie.

All this talk of pies is getting me hungry. Drat - the diet!
Kat

Post by Kat »

I would run away with you too, Audrey! :batman:
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Before everybody runs away with Audrey, I thought I would wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving.

Today, I'm sure this song is banned in our public schools, but I learned it in first grade in public school, and we sang it in auditorium every year to celebrate Thanksgiving Day throughout my grammar school and middle school years. Perhaps some of you did the same.

Once I had to sing it as part of a group on stage dressed up as a pilgrim. Today I just wear my normal turkey outfit (as in I am such a Turkey!)
Original Trinity Hymnal, #286

We gather together to ask the Lord's blessing;
He chastens and hastens his will to make known;
The wicked oppressing now cease from distressing:
Sing praises to his Name; he forgets not his own.

Beside us to guide us, our God with us joining,
Ordaining, maintaining his kingdom divine;
So from the beginning the fight we were winning:
Thou, Lord, wast at our side: all glory be thine!

We all do extol thee, thou Leader triumphant,
And pray that thou still our Defender wilt be.
Let thy congregation escape tribulation:
Thy Name be ever praised! O Lord, make us free!

When I finally heard this hymn sung in church, I couldn't figure out why they were singing the Thanksgiving Day song.

I'm watching LOST as I type. The reunion of the separated crash survivors is making me cry. I'm addicted to this show, but not obsessed about the secret clues.

Have a wonderful holiday!
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

We had a morrisons in milwaukee, and then when I moved to fayetteville they had one in the mall. But both of them are closed now.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Anybody ever eat at Dotson's in Nashville? Naomi Judd talked about it in her bio and my mouth is still drooling. I have alway's loved good, old fashion, down home cooking. The food that sticks to your ribs. :grin:

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

Oh me too! The problem is, it has a nasty habit of sticking everywhere else too!!! lol
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

shakiboo @ Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:37 pm wrote:Oh me too! The problem is, it has a nasty habit of sticking everywhere else too!!! lol

:peanut19:

Is'nt that the truth!

When was that Morrison's photo taken, Kat? I love that early '60's decor. We have a Mom & Pop restaurant that has a '50's decor and serves some of the best food around. It's like stepping back in time. I love it.

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973