San Francisco Earthquake and Fire

Here is where you can discuss anything Victorian!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

RayS

San Francisco Earthquake and Fire

Post by RayS »

April 18 2006 will be the hundreth anniversary of this 1906 disaster.
Somewhat removed from 1892, unlike the Johnstown Flood of 1889.

Any interest in this?
DWilly

Re: San Francisco Earthquake and Fire

Post by DWilly »

RayS @ Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:36 pm wrote:April 18 2006 will be the hundreth anniversary of this 1906 disaster.
Somewhat removed from 1892, unlike the Johnstown Flood of 1889.

Any interest in this?
For me, a little bit. I'm writing a book on some tennis players who grew up in San Francisco. Don Budge, a top male tennis player, wrote in his biography that his mother had been a beautiful redhead but the day after the quake her beautiful red hair turned completely white. I wonder if that's really possible? I've heard of it happening but it seems so unreal.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Photographer Ansel Adams was a four year old boy when the quake hit. It knocked him off his feet and broke his nose. I wasn't alive then.

My Dad soaked his work pants in gasoline then put them in the washer. He was looking into the drum watching it fill with water when he saw a spark. My sisters said they saw him running out of the garage after the explosion with his black hair as white as snow. I guess it does happen.

The washer never worked right after that.

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
Kat

Post by Kat »

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/ansel/peop ... quake.html

Is this the source for the *earthquake nose*?

I'm trying to Google "Seabiscuit" because there was a link to live film of the quake's aftermath. Can't find it tho.
I was looking for Seabisquit after I read the wonderful book.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Kat @ Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:46 pm wrote:http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/ansel/peop ... quake.html

Is this the source for the *earthquake nose*?

I'm trying to Google "Seabiscuit" because there was a link to live film of the quake's aftermath. Can't find it tho.
I was looking for Seabisquit after I read the wonderful book.

I first heard of his mangled honk in his auto-bio. You might punch in "Seabiscuit" + "San Francisco" + "Earthquake" and see what google brings you, Kat. I just did and got all kinds of sites including "awesomestories.com/ movies/seabiscuit/seabiscuit".

My dad remembers Seabiscuit and I enjoyed the recent movie. Cool story.

-1bigsteve (o:
Elizabeth Ann

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Do you happen to know if there is a mortality list from the quake in 1892? There is a family story that one of my great uncles died then. In 1896 his mother died and 3 sisters and a brother signed legal papers stating he had been missing 4 years, that he had not been heard from since then and was presumed dead. The family story was that he went out west to work with the railroad there.
Interestingly, I recently found a census record in San Francisco, 1920, that is the exact name and birthdate and birthplace as this great uncle who supposedly died in 1892. Hmmmmmm, have I dug up a family skelton??? Cheated out of his inheritance or for some reason a black sheep??? If I could find a mortality list and him on it, that would put these questions to rest...
I thought I would go out, and see if the air would make me feel any better. "Lizzie Andrew Borden"
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I don't know much about the earthquakes in San Fran., Elizabeth, but there was a strong one on April 19, 1892 that destroyed many brick buildings. You might be able to find something at http://www.sfmuseum.org/alm/quakes2.html

They have a list of San Fran. quakes. You might go to google and punch in Earthquakes + 1892 + Mortality + "San Francisco" and see what you can find. Someone may even have the name of the man you are looking for.

-1bigsteve (o: