Indoor Wreath

Here is where you can discuss anything Victorian!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

augusta

Indoor Wreath

Post by augusta »

The other day I purchased this indoor wreath, made of emerald and dark green feathers. It's gorgeous! Very Victorian, I thought.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Is there a picture?

I saw a black feather "Victorian"-style wreath and it was so strange looking even the store decorator said it was the worst thing he'd seen in the store in a long time!
Elizabeth Ann

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Kat - was this an antique or new wreath? If old, sounds like it could have been a mourning wreath. Some of them were rather unacttractive!
I thought I would go out, and see if the air would make me feel any better. "Lizzie Andrew Borden"
Kat

Post by Kat »

It was new and realy ugly. It was irredeemable- not decorative at all. It was before Halloween, but an upscale home furnishing store. I guess you could describe it as a replica of a mourning wreath.
Elizabeth Ann

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Beauty they say is in the eye of the beholder, this sounds like it would take a rare "beholder" to see the beauty in this piece.
Of course I wanted a mourning tribute on ebay that was a wreath from hair that my husband said was horrible. I thought it was great, but didn't get it because 1) it went past my budget and 2) I left hubby think I didn't buy it based on his taste! (If it would have gone for a lower price I would have had to convince him how beautiful it was!)
I thought I would go out, and see if the air would make me feel any better. "Lizzie Andrew Borden"
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

An English site said the earliest Victorian mourning wreaths were made from evergreens.

Beadwork and feathers came later.

Here's a Victorian mourning wreath made from human hair. This is the type you may have seen, Kat. They are less attractive but more tragic--to pull out or cut off your hair from grief and weave a symbol of mourning.
http://www.hairwork.com/images/hairpic.jpg

You have to wonder who cheated and used horsehair instead of their own.
augusta

Post by augusta »

Every time I looked at the black one Kat mentioned, I would think of mourning. I don't think I'd care for it looks-wise in black.

The green one is real pretty, tho. I don't have a picture yet, but can take one later on.

My green one is new, not an antique. The lady in the store said she had some in burgundy but was sold out. That sounds pretty.

I haven't found a place to put the green one yet. You know, it looks so easy to make - and I paid $30 for it.