Calling Cards

Here is where you can discuss anything Victorian!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

augusta

Calling Cards

Post by augusta »

I did not know that when you left a calling card in the Gilded Age, if you turned a corner down it meant a certain message. I thought people just left them to say they were there. Not so.

According to "Country Victorian" magazine, Winter 2005 (#67), page 75:

These subtle codes meant different things in different cities, but they list these as an example:

An Unfolded Card - A servant was sent by the carrier to make a "call".

A Folded Upper Left Corner - The visitor is making a routine call in person.

A Folded Upper Right Corner - A congratulatory greeting (birth, marriage).

Folded Lower Left Corner - Goodbye

Folded Lower Right Corner - Sympathy

Colors and styles conveyed different meanings. A carrier who is in mourning may leave a card with a black border.
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

I had read something like this some time ago and I find it interesting....

Thanks for the post!
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

I guess the folded corners were meant to give the person a clue about the visit's meaning before the person had to greet the person.

If someone were coming to see you on a sympathy visit and you were a highly emotional person, you could dip into the laudanum before you had to speak with them.

If someone were coming to say Goodbye, it would be hard to refuse seeing that person when the servant presented the card.

Or do you think the corners were just folded on the occasions where one visited but the person was not at home...then the corner would let the person who was out know what the person wanted.

Personally, I think we should revive the business of personal "calling" cards again. When I was in business for myself, I found that giving my cards out enabled more people (friends and acquaintances) to keep in touch with me. And now with cell phones, many people aren't in a phonebook anymore. Personally, I'm not into Blackberrys (Blackberries) (what is the plural when it's not the fruit?)
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

The calling card which seems to stick in my mind is the wrapped fish in "The Godfather". Pinning the subject's calling card to the wrapper leaves little doubt as to intent!
To do is to be. ~Socrates
To be is to do. ~Kant
Do be do be do. ~Sinatra
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

What about the horse's head?
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

Another outstanding calling card!! Nothing subtle, mind you, but certainly effective!
To do is to be. ~Socrates
To be is to do. ~Kant
Do be do be do. ~Sinatra