Another look at Victorian Life in ol' Fall River

Here is where you can discuss anything Victorian!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

nbcatlover

Another look at Victorian Life in ol' Fall River

Post by nbcatlover »

This is part of the introduction to a brief article on Margaret Fuller by Allegra Wong, but it paints a pretty picture of live in ol' Fall River:
I remember watching my grandmother water the coleus and the begonias in our Fall River, Massachusetts, kitchen when I was a young child in the late 1950’s. The plant pot saucers would brim, overflow. She watered with the red metal teapot my Uncle Andrew bought her for Mother’s Day when he was a little boy because it reminded her, she said, not of his being little so much anymore, but of her being little. Reminded her of lamps being fueled with whale oil instead of electricity. Lilac dusk settling in. Reminded her of peering out from corners while women tatted, of gardenias scenting hot summer nights in her nursery. Reminded her of the Sandwich glass lamp’s glow caressing a paisley shawl lying along the back of a Victorian sofa. The lamp’s parchment shade.

I remember being five years old and listening to my grandmother’s Fall River stories of Victorian times: ice-skating and sleighing parties on the North Watuppa Pond. Phrenology, hydrotherapy, Christian Science healings exhibited, platformed, outside city hall, just downtown; monthly seances with Mrs. Calhoun in her green-and-gold damask parlor; the study clubs held in one another’s homes—Wednesday morning Ladies’ Reading Group, Saturday afternoon’s Minerva gathering.

But most of all, I remember how my grandmother read to me evenings. She’d put aside the storybooks through which we’d be leafing together at the kitchen table, and say, “Now I’ll take you into my world,” and she’d spread out her father’s books and read me of Whitman’s America singing. “I’ll show you my true world,” she’d say. And she’d read me Thoreau … ‘I’ve come to these woods to find myself.’ “Come into my world,” she’d command, and she’d read me the outcries of George Sand—‘work, freedom, air to breathe, poetry, education, honor are all we women ask.’
Source: http://www.critiquemagazine.com/article/fuller.html
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Just as a point of information--perhaps this will ring a bell with Fall Riverites--Allegra Howard Wong's grandparents owned Portlock's Market at Albion and Downing Streets in the Flint section of the city.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Wow that was good! Thank you for the glimpse!
RayS

Post by RayS »

J. Anthony Lukas wrote a book "Big Trouble" that deals with the year 1906 in general, a murder trial in particular.
I have not read it (yet), but it may give background to the country in those days.
1906 was the year "The Jungle" was published, one of the most influential novels (compared to "Uncle Tom's Cabin", which also fictionalized real events).
That's not too far from 1893, the worst depression of the 19th century.
It was Farmer William in the Bedroom with the Hatchet.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Personally, I thought this part sounded pretty New Age to me:
Phrenology, hydrotherapy, Christian Science healings exhibited, platformed, outside city hall, just downtown; monthly seances with Mrs. Calhoun in her green-and-gold damask parlor...
They didn't need reality television...the reality came to them.

Certainly seems more interesting than my daily life.
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

Were Allegra Howard Wong's parents Stanley and Thelma Howard? Grandparents being Walter Howard and Annie Langton?

Gramma
She was acquitted!
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Definitely, Thelma, whom I had met. The articles mention Allegra's relationship to Portlock's market.

Thelma's obituary is on this page:
http://www.s-t.com/daily/12-96/12-06-96/zobits.htm

I don't have any info on the Howard side.

A number of Allegra's writings are on line if you search "Allegra Wong."

Here's one about her mother's death:
http://www.kotapress.com/journal/Archiv ... rnal13.htm
Kat

Post by Kat »

Wow! Hi Gramma!!! Nice to hear from you!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
What is a "Minerva gathering?"
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

Hi Kat!
I was wondering about the Minerva reference also. The astrologers at the time believed in another planet's existence beyond Pluto and often named it Minerva. Amazingly that planet has been confirmed in the last few years and they did name the tenth planet Minerva! Bet that slipped right on by a lot of you.
On a personal note, my great grandmother's name(Gertrude's mother) was Minerva and I know she, and later, my grandmother went to New Bedford, on occasion, to psychic readings. Wonder if there is a connection there?

Gramma
She was acquitted!
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

I believe it was probably a local gathering of writers, artists, philosophers, and actors. The Owl of Minerva, I believe, was an essay that gained popularity in the late 1940s regarding culture.
Elizabelle

Post by Elizabelle »

That was a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing that.

My grandma was born in 1931. Not only would she tell me the stories of her life...but she would also tell me the stories her mother and grandmother told her.

I've got all kinds of wonderful stories floating around in my head from my great-great grandmother to my own mother.

What a wonderful book those stories would make! :)
LIZZIE BORDEN'S THEME SONG
(to the tune of Green Acres)

Fall River is the place to be,
city living is the life for me.
Bought a nicer house,
so big and wide!
Forget 92 Second Street,
that's where I was charged with homicide!