Dressing the Part 1892

Here is where you can discuss anything Victorian!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Shelley

Dressing the Part 1892

Post by Shelley »

Here are a few of the costumes I have made for recreations -and maybe others will post some of their efforts at vintage dressing and decorating :grin:
This is the Lizzie Expo 1995 when we gave carriage rides around the city, and had activities at the Congregational church on Rock Street.
The dress is of black polished cotton with black faille parasol, black straw had with osprey plume and 5 button kid gloves. The carriage is an open landau- and the weather was perfect.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Later that day Ron Evans invited us all over to see the house- for the first time! You never saw anyone drive faster to Second St. in your life!
Back row is yours truly and Jules Rykenbush, front row left to right is my daughter Hollie, friend Carol Fiske, Barbara MacDonald from New Bedford who played Lizzie from time to time, and friend Lillian Fessenden. We had a 1890's singing group called The Sweet Nightingales and once performed in Victorian houses and fairs around the area. Our biggest hit was You Can't Chop Your Poppa Up in Massachusetts- which still exists on video! Can you guess the lady in the lower right corner?
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

This was my first 1892 endeavor, a blue and white striped cotton summer dress with bands of white grosgrain ribbon, straw boater and ostrich plumes. The gentleman at the right is Mr. Waring-Mr. Jennings's daughter married a Waring, and this man said he was the grandson of Jennings. The occasion was the unveiling of the much-anticipated Lizzie portrait at Bristol Community College. I am afraid it was not the best resemblance to the original! This is the cocktail party beforehand which was lovely.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Oh! I should add Jules Rykenbush is a tall and distinguished man- he was stooping down so as not to show off his non-1892 teeshirt which had something funny written on it! :grin:
Susan

Post by Susan »

Beautiful work, Shelley! You look perfectly at ease in Victorian garb. Do you go the full nine yards when you wear these outfits? Pantaloons? Corset? Have you ever tried to make any versions of Lizzie's dresses; the Bedford cord, the navy Bengaline dress or the pink and white striped wrapper? It would be so cool to see an approximation of these outfits on someone to get a feel for what Lizzie was wearing. Ooooo, or how about that black dress she wore to the trial with the lace on the bodice in a cape effect. :grin:
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Kat

Post by Kat »

Fantastic Pictures! Thanks!

The *lady* in the lower right of the House picture looks like Mr. Dube.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Oh Kat! It's Eleanor Thibaut! :smile: :lol: :grin:

But I bet Bob Dube would look fetching in a dress with parasol!
Angel

Post by Angel »

Shelley, you look darling in those costumes. You're a very pretty lady.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Great photos, Shelley! Looks like you all had a lot of fun dressing up. You look great in the carriage photo - very Lizzie looking. A landau no less!

Is Lillian Fessenden any relation to the women's rights' Fessenden who appeared at the trial and greeted Lizzie?
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Thanks! Oh I tease my friend Lillian about that- sorry- no relation! There are Fessendens in Oak Grove too. Yes, we have way too much fun dressing up. I have worn a corset and vintage petticoats but draw the line at drawers! Actually the loose bell skirts are very comfortable and roomy and a lot of air can get underneath even in summer. The high collars can be itchy and suffocating in really hot weather. Making the millinery is the most fun, and finding the accessories. This year, running short of time, I had to have my Abby dress made by a great company out west called Recollections.

I love dressing up all the gang- even young Ben looked dashing in his Mr. Cunningham suit of suspenders, striped shirt and straw boater this year. Sometimes the guests at the house like to put on a dress. Kat, if you and Stef had had time to stand still 10 minutes, I would have gotten you all tricked out in 1892 splendor! :grin:

Once one of the guests , without our knowledge, found my dress -ups closet on the third floor, put on a Lizzie dress I had made, and waltzed downstairs for the night tour- hat and all. The dress fit to perfection-the only thing- he had a large black walrus mustache. He was utterly deadpan and totally serious. I told him how delicious he looked, we all smiled up our sleeve- and went on with the tour! :roll:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Susan- I am going to attempt that pink and white striped wrapper. My professor just finished an extensive research paper on Victorian wrappers and I had a great time reading out Harrington's description of Lizzie's wrapper to the class! The black lace bodiced dress is nearly finished- now to figure out how to do the black chip hat with cherry ribbons!
Angel

Post by Angel »

Isn't it fun to put on one of those dresses? My sons and I used to go to Civil War reenactments all dressed up. You're right- the dresses are very airy in the summertime. With the hoopskirt I wore I was amazed at how cool it was. But I didn't wear the corset, stockings, petticoats, drawers, etc. etc. etc.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Your daughter is very lovely Shelley.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Well I can't wait to see more of your Victorian creations, Shelley. I'm sure the black lace dress will be gorgeous! Wasn't that the dress that Lizzie wore blue velvet rosettes in her hair along with that little hat?

“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

I love those pictures. The costumes are so nice,wish I had the talent to be able to make something like that.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
RayS

Post by RayS »

Susan @ Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:15 am wrote:Well I can't wait to see more of your Victorian creations, Shelley. I'm sure the black lace dress will be gorgeous! Wasn't that the dress that Lizzie wore blue velvet rosettes in her hair along with that little hat?

Was she wearing a bustle?
It was Farmer William in the Bedroom with the Hatchet.
william

dressing the part

Post by william »

No bustle, Ray, Lizzie was generously endowed.
RayS

Post by RayS »

"No, Lizzie, that dress does not make you look fat."
But in those days, and sometimes now, a plump woman is adored. Don't believe me? Just tune in to the "Jerry Springer Show"!
shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

Shelley the dresses are beautiful! and you look as if you belong in them!! More! more more
shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

Ray, that's got to be the funniest thing I've ever heard (read) you say!!!
RayS

Post by RayS »

shakiboo @ Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:46 pm wrote:Ray, that's got to be the funniest thing I've ever heard (read) you say!!!
Are you setting your cap for me?
That's an old expression I once read decades ago.
I really didn't mean it to be funny, but an occasional tuning to that show often is unintentionally funny with the antics and situations of the people.
And sometimes it is the audience that is funny.

If you ever see an old man with a paper bag over his head, you'll know I attended that show. The guy that laughs so hard he falls off his seat.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Mrs. Lucy Borden (of the Cook Borden clan) used to stay in Andrew's room every August 4th. Now her daughter Barbara Morrisey and her friend JoAnn from Billarica, MA keep up the tradition. This is 2002 with Barbara (front left) as Abby, and JoAnn as Mrs. Churchill -it was a rush getting their costumes ready in one afternoon.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Barb MacDonald in pink satin, Debbie Shannon and myself at midnight on August 4th just after the debut of The Country Lawyer episode at the Quequechan Club. The house was closed to the public , but how many of us used to stand forlornly and look from the street?