Victorian Christmas

Here is where you can discuss anything Victorian!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Shelley

Victorian Christmas

Post by Shelley »

Checking back through old threads, I don't see one just for this holiday, so here it 'tis. I have one or two recipes to post, and a few links to get it started. I was also hoping some posters do a little Victorian decorating and maybe would share a photo or two. When LeeAnn and I were discussing the decoratios for #92, we were hard pressed to imagine what old Andrew would countenance. I think it is probably safe to say a green wreath on the door, and maybe some fresh green and holly on the mantelpiece. I sure wish we knew if the Bordens honored the tabletop tree custom. I do hope so. Andrew is certainly easy to imagine in the Ebeneezer Scrooge role! :lol: I hope Abby got plenty of fruitcake!

An great multi-topic link: http://www.victoriana.com/christmas/victoriancard1.html
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I did not know Louis Prang was put out of business in the 1890's when German lithograph postal grettings eclipsed his original Christmas card- here's the fascinating story.
http://www.ideafinder.com/features/ever ... stcard.htm

I imagine Lizzie might have played a few carols on her piano in the parlor.The list could have included "O Little Town of Bethlehem", "Good Christian Men Rejoice", "Silent Night", "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear", "Away in a Manger", "We Three Kings" and "Jingle Bells." As she liked Dickens, no doubt she knew Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" well and probably thought her father and Scrooge had plenty in common. Clement Moore had written "It was a Night Before Christmas" back in 1822 so she would have heard that most likely as a child. I wonder if anybody makes mincemeat pies anymore- I love 'em! And fruitcake too!
shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

Loved the site, just spent a good half hour looking it over, I remember stringing pop corn for the Christmas tree at school! Last year, my tree looked a little victorian (I thought) I made white bows out of lace, the bow was about six inches and the ties were about 3 feet long and maybe 3 inches wide and hung down the tree. Quite pretty I thought. The angel on top is dressed in a fur trimmed full skirted gown. With of course angel wings. Oh I do love Christmas!!
RayS

Post by RayS »

I've read in book that Christmas as we know it was invented in the 1880s as a holiday of gift giving for children. Anything to move merchandise.

The 1951 English movie "A Christmas Carol" shows how it was in the early 19th century, in Dickens' time. Christmas trees are a German custom, imported into England by Prince Albert. You can look it up.

I wonder who will find insults in this posting?
It was Farmer William in the Bedroom with the Hatchet.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Finally found the molasses recipe which was a favorite of my granny's (born in 1892). On the morning of the murder, I seem to recall seeing two references to cookies Bridget served. One was to sugar cookies, one to molasses cookies. Molasses seemed to be a real favorite of that age- either because it was cheaper than refined white sugar , or maybe they were just accustomed to it. Of course in New England there were maple trees aplenty for taping. Vermont has not got the maple sugar franchise sewed up, now - or then! My local maple sugar dealers tap their trees in early February here in CT.

My granny used to get something called "blackstrap molasses"- am not sure what that was but it had sulphur in it and was a little bit bitter out of the jar. Seems as if honey, maple syrup and pure molasses has now given way to syrup like Mrs Butterworth's made from fructose and flavorings with sometimes little or no maple syrup. Too bad- there's nothing like the real thing.

Ginger snaps are a very early cookie- they travel and keep well, and can be dunked if they get a little hard. I prefer these soft chewy kind and usually increase the ginger amount as I like a nice "bite". I suspect the sugar cookies Bridget made were of the "drop" off the spoon variety, not icebox cutouts. LeeAnn has a fabulous rolled sugar cookie recipe which she uses to make the little hatchet cookies for guests.

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups all-purpose flour, measure after sifting
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups butter, at room temperature, (2 1/2 sticks)
1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1 large egg or 2 small ones
1/4 cup molasses
PREPARATION:
Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or spray lightly with PAM.
Combine the first 6 ingredients, mixing to thorouthly blend. Add the remaining ingredients; beat with electric mixer for 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl a few times. Wrap the dough in waxed paper and chill for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350° with the rack in the center position. Roll the chilled dough into 1-inch balls, then roll in granulated sugar to coat, and place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until the tops are set, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Makes about 36 soft molasses cookies.

Making these also puts me in mind of some wonderful memories of pulling molasses taffy. my mother's favorite. You really must have a cool dry day to get the best results. I still make the green and white peppermint taffy although it is murder on dental work. I'm trying to picture Emma and Lizzie pulling taffy in that kitchen on Second Street. Making candies like taffy , fondant and fudge was a real ladylike employment for even the upper crust ladies of refinement and good family :grin:
shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

mmmmmm there goes the diet, but then it's Christmas!!!!
shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

RayS @ Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:33 am wrote:I've read in book that Christmas as we know it was invented in the 1880s as a holiday of gift giving for children. Anything to move merchandise.

The 1951 English movie "A Christmas Carol" shows how it was in the early 19th century, in Dickens' time. Christmas trees are a German custom, imported into England by Prince Albert. You can look it up.

I wonder who will find insults in this posting?
I don't believe anyones looking for insults RayS, I don't think it's about what you say, it's the way you (sometimes) say things. I read all your posts, and there's times that you display a really fine sense of humor and times when you make clear something that I wasn't quite clear on, it's the other times when it just comes out mean and hateful, that so many have taken objection to. Peace RayS
shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

Anyone got a good recipe for the old fashioned sugar cookies they'd want to share?
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Am looking through my Mrs. Beeton's! In the meantime, here is a lovely Victorian Scrap site with gorgeous old cards which you can see by clicking on the arrow at the bottom of the page. This site tells a little about each card. I never heard of the "holly cart" before.
http://www.scrapalbum.com/vxp1.htm
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

I wonder what Lizzie and Emma were doing for Christmas.I doubt that they would want to spend it with abby and andrew since they weren't really fond of abby.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

snokkums @ Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:16 pm wrote:I wonder what Lizzie and Emma were doing for Christmas.I doubt that they would want to spend it with abby and andrew since they weren't really fond of abby.

Hatered roasting on an open fire,
Lizzie Frost nipping at dear 'ol Abby,
Venomous carols sung by two daughters,
And folks dressed up like tomorrow's victims...

I wondered that too, Snokks. It probably wasn't a very happy place or time. Having to give gifts to someone you can't stand. Did they give gifts in 1892? The girls may have gone out to be with others giving Andrew and Abby a break as well.

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

I think they gave gifts, not to sure if they gave one to abby though.
Wrote this recipe down, I am going to have to try it.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.