Life as a Victorian Servant

Here is where you can discuss anything Victorian!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

DWilly

Post by DWilly »

Just recently I was looking at a series of books for kids called You wouldn't want to be a.... Each book filled in the blank space with something different. Such as, You wouldn't want to be a Roman Soldier or You wouldn't want to be an American Colonist. The books are meant to show kids in a humorous way how hard life was for people living in the past.

Well, the book that I found the most interesting was called, You wouldn't want to be a Victorian Servant. It was by Fiona Macdonald. What was funny was that on every other page they had a "Handy Hint" stuck up in the right hand corner. One "Handy Hint" reminded me of Lizzie and Emma calling Bridget by the name of Maggie instead of her real name. Here is the hint:

Don't be surprised if your employer calls you by a new name. They may not like the one your parents gave you.

They also have a list of duties that servants had to do and what time they had to do them. Such as, "You will get up at 5:30 and clean the kitchen floor. " And back to the name thing it also said this, "...our housemaids are always called Mary. You will answer to this name when called."

The book also has a list of rules that servants had to obey. The book does focus on life in Victorian England but still I think at least some of the rules may have carried over to the United States. I can't help but wonder if Bridget followed these rules. Here are a few of the rules:

1. When you're spoken to, keep your hands still and always look at the person addressing you.

2. Never let your voice be heard by the ladies and gentlemen of the household, unless they have asked you a question. Even then, always speak as little as possible.

4. Never talk to a lady or a gentleman, unless to deliver a message or to ask a necessary question.

7. Never offer your opinion to your employer.

8. If you meet a higher-ranking servant in the house or on the stairs, you are to make yourself invisible as possible. Turn yourself towards the wall and look away.

9. Never say "good morning" or "good night" to your employer, except in reply to a greeting.

10. If you are required to walk with a lady or gentleman, always keep a few steps behind.
Societygirl1892

Post by Societygirl1892 »

DWilly-
Thanks for the post, sounds like an entertaining read! I mean we all know Bridget was often if not always called Maggie, but you have to wonder if she was subjected to any of the other things you mentioned in your post.
I'll have to check it out.
Pammie :smile:
Pammie :-)
Kat

Post by Kat »

8. If you meet a higher-ranking servant in the house or on the stairs, you are to make yourself invisible as possible. Turn yourself towards the wall and look away.

I saw this happen at the tour of The Breakers!
It reminded me of Royalty rules.
Societygirl1892

Post by Societygirl1892 »

Kat-
It does sound like Royalty rules!
I read a book by someone of the Queen's staff and it mentioned a lot of those tips, albeit some were different.
Pammie
Pammie :-)