Handy Evidence Disposal?

Here is where you can discuss anything Victorian!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Tina-Kate

Handy Evidence Disposal?

Post by Tina-Kate »

Here's a Victorian household appliance that could come in handy for disposing of pesky bloodied clothing & more...

Click on pic to enlarge. There's a hook-up from the stove & another one from some kind of receptacle beside the sink.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Now this is interesting, but did the Bordens own one? I can't see Mr. Borden spending money on that if he wouldn't buy indoor plumbing. This is a very old ad, did you get this from a newspaper copy?
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Sorry I didn't reply sooner---this was like a forgotten thread.

The picture comes from Late Victorian Houses & Cottages (1999, Dover Publications). This book was originally the Modern Homes 1897 catalogue by The Century Architectural Co. of Cleveland, OH. It has floor plans people could buy to build from, plus ads for various contractors, suppliers of fixtures, etc.

Very cool book.
augusta

Post by augusta »

I had no idea garbage disposals existed in Victorian times! Very interesting. Thanks for posting that, Tina-Kate. Right, Nadzieja - I agree that Andrew probably wouldn't spring for one. Besides, he threw his garbage on the ground and "under the bahn". (I still don't know what "under the barn" means.) I wonder if he threw all the family garbage somewhere?