Spelling Victorian-Style

Here is where you can discuss anything Victorian!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

augusta

Spelling Victorian-Style

Post by augusta »

I picked this up off of Steve Gansen, the editor of "Selected Chaff: The Wartime Columns of Al McIntosh":

Regarding the way people used to spell, he says that the words were recommended by the 1876 Spelling Reform Association.

In 1898 they were adopted by National Education Assoc. on orders of Teddy Roosevelt.

In 1906 they were published, I think he is saying, by the US Government Printing office.

"Most of these spellings did not catch on in general usage and eventually fell by the wayside." (Steve Gansen)

He gave a couple examples. One was "tho". That seems like a common abbreviated term people will write in emails today. Maybe it's catching on again! Their "cigaret" makes sense compared to today's spelling. Maybe the cigarette makers didn't like it, like it was too much like "cigar" and they made it more sophisticated. I wonder what other words there were.
Maybe the 1906 publication is online someplace. :grin:
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Here's a link with a little more on the history of spelling reform. (Odd, the last I knew it was still spelled r-e-f-o-r-m.) :wink: http://foolswisdom.com/users/sbett/history-SR.htm
I staid the night for shelter at a farm behind the mountains, with a mother and son - two "old-believers." They did all the talking...
- Robert Frost
augusta

Post by augusta »

Thank you for the neat link, Doug. The Victorian spellings make a lot of sense to me. Who went and complicated everything all up?