Electricity in 1892

Here is where you can discuss anything Victorian!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

FairhavenGuy

Electricity in 1892

Post by FairhavenGuy »

In another thread about loss of power in Florida due to Hurricane Charley, Harrry posted this about a conversation he had with Kat:

"We were saying we couldn't believe that after Andrew had been in houses that had electricity how he could not have wanted it. He certainly could have seen how much it improved the lives of those who had it."

In reality, Andrew in 1892 would probably have seen little advantage to having electricity, though.

During the early days of household electricity, it was used ONLY for lights. In fact, one source says that until 1905, most power companies in America only turned on their generators at sunset.

Fairhaven's new Town Hall, built by millionaire Henry H. Rogers in 1894, had gas light primarily, and some electric lights. Electricity was still not considered reliable enough to count on for use in an important public building.

A rather inefficient electric home vacuum cleaner became available about 1907.

The first electric refrigerator was sold in 1913. It cost $900. It wasn't really until after the Depression that home refrigeration became widespread.

Home air conditioning was not available during Lizzie's lifetime, though a few, rare public buildings had air cooling systems by 1920. In 1930, only 300 movie theaters in America were air conditioned. Some office buildings also had air conditioners, which increased worker producitivity and actually made folks come into work early and leave late.

So in 1892, if you visited a house with electricity during the daylight hours, it would be virtually no different from a home that burned kerosene at night.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Actually in 1892 I believe Second Street only had a gas line. The conversation with Kat was a general discussion of todays importance and dependency on power We were kidding about her loss of power and having to live like the Bordens.

If Andrew was unwilling to connect to that he probably would have avoided electricity as well when it came.

He was unwilling to even use a lamp (the night before the murders) so obviously he didn't attach much importance to the lighting in his home.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Makes me wonder whether Andrew had the "new" A.J. Borden Building wired for electricity when it was built. Has anyone ever seen a news item from when it was completed which describes the features of that building?
Kat

Post by Kat »

HI!
Yes we were talking about power, water, lights: gas or otherwise; a bath, clean clothes, all these things.
Harry had said Andrew must have visited homes where there were such conveniences and wondered why Andrew wouldn't see the advantages and want those too, as he certainly could afford it.
The affording it was the main point- all those women in that home and he didn't make much accomodation for them.

Thanks for the info on electricity!
Harry

Post by Harry »

Kat and I briefly discussed the lamps in the Borden house.

We know for instance that on the night before the murders, there was a lamp left for Bridget's return in the kitchen. We also know there was a lamp in the front hall which was lit when Lizzie returned.

So the point that Andrew, Abby and John Morse sat in the dark is not altogether true. Some light from the front hall lamp probably entered the sitting room.

The question then arises is how many other lamps were there.

Abby went to bed before Andrew and John. So it could be presumed that she would need a lamp to go up the back stairs and to use the key in the locked bedroom door. Kat surmises that Abby on her way up would light the lamp that was left for Bridget.

Can we assume that Lizzie would have taken the front hall lamp? She also faced a climb up the front stairs as well as opening the lock on her door.

Then Morse needed a lamp. He is questioned at the Preliminary, p249:

"Q. When you went up stairs to go to bed did you have a lamp?
A. Yes Sir."

That leaves Andrew. Would he have needed a lamp? Would he have climbed the back stairs without one? The door to his bedroom would have been already unlocked by Abby who left earlier.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Thats a good question, how many lamps were laying about for use at night? Did Andrew use a lamp or possibly a candle to light his way? Another question that comes to my mind is that if there were a quantity of lamps, where were they kept? Maybe it was second nature to make sure you brought a lamp with you as night was falling so you wouldn't get caught in the dark or maybe any lamp would do that was handy? Hmmm, I'll see if I can do a search and come up with anything. :roll:
Kat

Post by Kat »

I picture Andrew walking thru the kitchen and down his back hall and up those narrow stairs all in the dark. He would probably allow Abby to leave the lamp for Bridget and Abby would take theirs up with her.
Once you live in a place a long time you really can negotiate your way in the dark.
I've practiced that myself and could probably find something here in the dark with my eyes closed without incident.

It's a new question about the girl's lamp because Emma was away and she never was.
So if the girls stayed in their rooms mostly or in the guest room with a lamp they might have shared one. But not necessarily.
Was Lizzie out a lot at night?
If Emma was usually home upstairs, she might leave the bedroom door open and that radiance might allow for enough light for Lizzie to get safely upstairs from coming in after dark. With Emma gone that would be her own private lamp. Maybe they gave Morse Emma's lamp- meaning both girls had one after all?
Kat

Post by Kat »

My neighbor grew up in Newton, Mass. and lived to be 86. She died about 6 years ago, say 1998.
She used to tell me that her one job in the household was to clean the kerosene lamps. She had to take off the chimneys and wash them and dry them so the glass was clear and trim the wicks.
I think she did this once a week or so.
My impression was that she gathered them up from their various locations and set to at a table, probably in the kitchen.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

I was just thinking that mabe some of the rooms had lamps mounted to the walls as permanent fixtures.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
Kat

Post by Kat »

http://www.sailsinc.org/durfee/fulltext.htm

This is The Keeley Library, online.
If you go to this page, and scroll down to the bottom, the last book named is The Phillips History of Fall River.
For utilities information see:
Fascicle II, Chapter XlX, pgs. 187-188 Gas, 188-190 Elecrtric.
(also)
Fascicle III, Chapter X, pgs. 80-81

These are downloads.

Phillips gave permission in the front of each book to those who wish to quote from it as long as they cite him as source.

BTW: Allen, I see the Fowler book is now there as well, which I used to find Borden info.