Footsteps In the Fog

Here is where you can discuss anything Victorian!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Harry

Footsteps In the Fog

Post by Harry »

Just watched the last 45 minutes of a movie with that title. Missed the first part. It's a British movie and was on Turner Classic Movies.

It takes place in Victorian England where a man (Stewart Granger) kills his wife by poison and is blackmailed by his maid (Jean Simmons).

Good story, atmosphere and costumes.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Harry I think I saw that one a while back. Was the killer a doctor? His wife much older than he was?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:-?

No, no, that's not the movie Harry !

The one I am thinking about was British but I saw it on PBS.

The guy was a doctor and he was injecting his wife with morphine till she becomes an addict and dies. (since he was having an affair with a younger women etc.)

I also saw just part of it so can not recount what the outcome was. Perhaps someone here knows the movie.

Harry

Post by Harry »

I never saw the wife in "Footprints..." as she was already dead when I tuned in. Don't believe he was a doctor, just some sort of upper-class gentleman.

MB, don't think I saw that one but do remember reading of a true-life case around the time of the Borden murders where a man OD'd his wife on morphine pills. Been meaning to re-find that case.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:-?

YES Harry, not familiar with that morphine pill case???? Will need to look into it.

But, I found that other movie I was talking about in the post above. It was called "malice and Aforethought"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0433411/usercomments

http://www.amazon.com/Mystery-Malice-Af ... 264&sr=8-1
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Like you and your movie, I only saw a little of Malice and Aforethought, so cannot comment on it Harry. But, in one of the links I left, it did not get good reviews.

But, I love watching movies of Victorian Times especially the ones done by the British. They are so correct in there props, backgrounds, scenes etc. And I love British accents and life style, and since spending some time over in the UK, my favorite drinks are Tea and warm beer.

At times I will be writing or reading and my TV will be on in the background, usually to a PBS station, and I will be watching a British mini series or movie without the sound just as a distraction from what I am really doing.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Yes, the Brits are masters at these type of movies.

While watching this movie I couldn't help but notice the remarkable resemblance between Jean Simmons and Vivien Leigh. The latter wasn't in it but they look like twins.

So I checked the movie data base to see if they were related but apparently not. Did find that Simmons was married to her co-star, Stewart Granger, at the time.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Did anyone see Persuasion on "Masterpiece" Sunday night? I just couldn't connect with the people who played the characters. I tried!
Angel

Post by Angel »

I liked it, but I thought the main character was rather watered down- she seemed so bland that I couldn't see why she captured his heart so completely. I thought the neurotic sister was very good though.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Yes you've got it exactly! That's what it was! It was the blandness and why was that attractive? Bingo- YAY!