Porch swings?

Here is where you can discuss anything Victorian!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

ddnoe

Porch swings?

Post by ddnoe »

Were there porch swings during the Victorian era? I'd like to know when they began and something of their history.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Absolutely! Here's a brief nugget...

http://searchwarp.com/swa47176.htm
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
augusta

Post by augusta »

That was interesting. Thanks for posting the link, Tina-Kate. :smile: I wonder if it was also a way for people pre-electricity days to catch some refreshing coolness.

It figures - if it was popular in Victorian times, Andrew Borden wouldn't have one. Then again, he didn't have much of a front porch.

I wonder if Lizzie had one at Maplecroft? She wrote of reading on the piazza in a steamer chair. :study:
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I love porch swings and I can imagine Lizzie swinging away in one while engrossed in a good book on a summer afternoon. Weeeeee... :grin:

The chains and hooks that suspend them from the rafters usually seem to be too light. I don't know how many "funny videos" I've see of porch swing chains breaking and dumping the people onto the porch. Funny maybe but dangerous. When I think of porch swings I think of that. It's hardwired.

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
patsy

Post by patsy »

I love porch swings. My grandmother had a two wooden swings that faced each other on a wooden platform, and we kids used to spend hours on it. I guess it worked more like a glider. She always worried that we would break it.

Thanks for the nugget. I could imagine Lizzie swinging, lost in thought, on a beautiful summer day.