What happened in 1892

Here is where you can discuss anything Victorian!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

icghosts

What happened in 1892

Post by icghosts »

January-June
January 1 - Ellis Island begins accepting immigrants to the United States.
January 14 - Death of Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence, second in line heir to the throne of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. Next in line is his younger brother Prince George of Wales.
January 15 - James Naismith publishes the rules for basketball.
January 20 - At the YMCA in Springfield, Massachusetts, the first official basketball game is played.
February 12 - Former President Abraham Lincoln's birthday is declared a national holiday in the United States.
March 1 - Theodoros Deligiannis ends his term as Prime Minister of Greece and Konstantinos Konstantopoulos takes office
March 13 - Ernest Louis, a grandson of Queen Victoria becomes Grand Duke of Hesse and the Rhine on the death of his father, Grand Duke Louis IV.
March 31 - The world's first fingerprinting bureau formally opened by the Buenos Aires Chief of Police; it had been operating unofficially since the previous year.
May 7 - The Cook Islands issue their first postage stamps.
May 22 - British conquest of Ijebu-Ode marks major extension of colonial power into Nigerian interior.
May 24 - Prince George of Wales becomes Duke of York.
May 28 - In San Francisco, California, John Muir organizes the Sierra Club.
[edit]
July-December
July 4-18 British general election: Unionist government loses its majority.
July 6 - Dr. Jose Rizal, a Filipino writer, Philosopher, and political activist arrested by Spainish authorities in connection with La Liga Filipina.
August 4 - The family of Lizzie Borden is found murdered in their Fall River, Massachusetts home.
August 9 - Thomas Edison receives a patent for a two-way telegraph.
August 18 - William Ewart Gladstone assumes British premiership at head of Liberal government with Irish Nationalist Party support.
September 15 - Sergei Witte replaces Ivan Vishnegradksy as Russian finance minister.
October 12 - To mark 400 anniversary Columbus Day holiday, the "Pledge of Allegiance" was first recited in unison by students in US public schools.
October 31 - Arthur Conan Doyle publishes The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.
November 8 - U.S. presidential election, 1892: Grover Cleveland is elected over Benjamin Harrison and James B. Weaver to win the second of his non-consecutive terms.
November 8 ? Anarchist bomb kills six in police station in Avenue de l'Opera, Paris
November 17 - French troops occupy Abomey, capital of kingdom of Dahomey.
December 5 - John Thompson becomes Canada's fourth prime minister.
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

icghosts, I love stuff like that!

Here's another

In Fairhaven, MA, Capt. Joshua Slocum launched the sloop Spray. He first took the 37-foot sloop on a short trip to Onset in July. (Three years later Slocum would set sail on a three-year, 46,000 voyage in the Spray, becoming the first man to sail around the world alone.)
Susan

Post by Susan »

Heres one thats perfect for the season, though no exact date is given:

In 1892, the wire hook for hanging tree ornaments is patented in the United States. :grin:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks for the interesting info!
Is there a source for the year's info so we can go there?
Thanks again!
icghosts

Post by icghosts »

Go to http://en.wikipedia.org this is where I got the information.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks again.
I was looking around there.
Do you know much about this site? I am interested in finding out if, due to the editing feature, people who contribute need to give their sources? I thought I would ask you, instead of studying the site too deeply. I went to FAQs and looked around a bit.
If you use this site, maybe you know how it works?
(I really want to know...)
Appreciate it.
icghosts

Post by icghosts »

All I did was typed "What happened in the year 1892" and this site came up. I have used this site often whenI want to add a name to findagrave
snokkums

what was happening in 1892

Post by snokkums »

:roll: I love stuff like that list! lets you know that other things in the world were going on besides the lizzie borden murders
Gramma

1892 Ships, Carpenters, and records

Post by Gramma »

The year 1892 was the year my great grandfather, William Judson Carpenter, on my father's side supossedly came to Fall River. They went back and forth to New Brunswick but eventually his wife went back to St John, NB and "Jud" stayed in Fall River with about 1/2 the kids. My question is one Fairhaven guy might help with. Jud was a "ship's carpenter" (it's all in the name!) and I wondered if he had ever run across listings of ship's carpenters from Fall River? Do you think the Marine Museum might have some records on that?
I have wondered, since he was an incredible finish carpenter, if he might have worked on the interiors of the "Fall River Line" ships. I also have the feeling he was in Fall River before 1892, following the work, and moved his family later. I believe he was in the Boston area to begin with.

Gramma
She was acquitted!
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Gramma,

I haven't seen listings of ship's carpenters. (I'm assuming he worked in shipyards and was not a crew member. There's an online collection of whaling crew lists at the New Bedford Public Library. A search of "William Carpenter" turned up two guys who sailed in the 1850s. Your great grandfather in 1892 would be very late for whaling.)

Besides the possibility of employment records for shipyards at the Marine Museum in Fall River, you might want to contact the library of the New Bedford Whaling Museum http://www.whalingmuseum.org/ While the name implies whaling, they have a large collection of all sorts of marine related materials.

As far as carpentry on Fall River Line steamers, I'm not sure that those ships would have actually been built in Fall River, but I could be wrong.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Chris

PS My paternal great grandfather came from Canada in the 1800s to work in the mills in New Bedford.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

The wikipedia site is great. Many interesting things. Thanks !

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

FairhavenGuy @ Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:35 pm wrote:...

As far as carpentry on Fall River Line steamers, I'm not sure that those ships would have actually been built in Fall River, but I could be wrong.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Chris

PS My paternal great grandfather came from Canada in the 1800s to work in the mills in New Bedford.
Thanks for the look-up Chris. I wonder if the Fall River line ships might have had their interiors finished and/or repaired in Fall River while being built elsewhere? This is one to chase I guess.

Where did your paternal great grandfather come from in Canada? What was the name? An incredible number came down from the St John, NB area and also Nova Scotia.

Gramma :grin:
She was acquitted!
Kat

Post by Kat »

The last steamship built for the Fall River Line, was the Commonwealth, in Philadelphia, 1908, and served until 1937.

The Pilgrim was built in Pennsylvania in 1883 and was the first steamship built by George Pierce. She remained in service until 1913 and was scrapped in 1920.

The Empire State "was built in New York by Samuel Sneedon and was launched on March 18, 1848. On January 13, 1849, she was badly damaged by fire at her Fall River berth. The ship was rebuilt and back in service by June 1849....remained with the Fall River Line until 1871...scrapped in Bristol in May 1887."

--Images of America: Fall River, Rob Lewis, Arcadia Publishing, 1997, pictorial book.

Of course there were several other ships shown and written about, but where they were built was not mentioned. There were collisions and fires aboard though, and if they made it to their berths they seemingly were repaired there. That happened enough so that it sounds there was plenty of re-work in Fall River!
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Julien Richard was born June 7, 1874, in St. Iberville, Quebec.

I'm not sure when he got to New Bedford, but he moved from New Bedford to Fairhaven about 1904 and bought a house shortly thereafter.

He died Feb. 17, 1964, two streets over from where I'm sitting. He was 89. I was almost 6. At the time, we lived three houses away on the same street. (You'll notice that I haven't gone too far in life. . .)
Kat

Post by Kat »

Yes, we miss "gramma" around here.