Simon Wiesenthal Dies

This is a collection of the links posted by members in other areas of the forum.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

augusta

Simon Wiesenthal Dies

Post by augusta »

Simon Wiesenthal died at the age of 96 (I think it was today - the news just came out). He was the famed Nazi hunter of those who had committed atrocities during WW2. He was in five concentration camps and lost 89 relatives to them.

There is a site about him at:
http://www.wiesenthal.com
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

And to think there are some people who refuse to believe that 6 million+ Jews and other people were slaughtered in those camps! In spite of the photographic and forensic evidence, eye-witness testimony, some people still don't get it. That is just their excuse for continuing their unjust hatered for the Jews. The Jews have never done anything to deserve that hate. Amazing!

-1bigsteve )o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
augusta

Post by augusta »

I was watching a show on Hitler the other nite. How did he get all those people on his side? He was scary and crazy giving his speeches.

What happened if you were German but had brown hair?
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

It is hard to understand why people don't believe this happened. I saw the ghetto when I went to Poland. Because of a change in tour schedule I didn't make it to see Oswiesciem. ( Auszwitz/Berkenwauld (sp?)) However a friend travelled with a Jewish group & sent amazing pictures back of many camps and burial sites. Anyone who doesn't believe should go and see for themselves these places. The Warsaw ghetto was so small and to put so many people was inhumane. They will be building an educational center there. I hope to go back in a few years to see some of these place myself. We get American history here, you should see it over there. In Warsaw they always have fresh flowers at the memorials. Even on some street corners there will be a plaque reading how many people were killed in a certain spot and there will be a vase of flowers. It is hard to explain the feeling when you are actually standing on the spots where this happened. Outside of our hotel there was a huge memorial where 120 people were just shot down for no reason other than they were Polish. The real history is that if Germany won, after the Jews the Poles were next, they to lost millions of people to camps and random executions. Germany wanted to expand and they wanted the Polish land for this but they had to get rid of the inhabitants first.
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

It is so funny, because these people who promote this hatred will think nothing of getting a shot of penicillen, or getting their kids vaccinated against Polio. Guess who discovered these? If they hate everything Jewish why take advantage of the things that they researched or invented.
shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

My Father was a soldier during the war and was in Germany at the end of the war. He never forgot what he saw there, and told me that I must never forget what was done there, what the nazi's did to the Jew's. He said that when the regular German army found out what was being done, there were many of their soldiers who just laid down their guns and quit fighting, and were as shocked and horrified as the rest of the world was. He gave me the book "The Diary of Anne Frank" to read, and told me again that I should never forget, that to forget would open the door for such a thing to happen again. We're not Jewish and at that time didn't even know anyone who was, but what he saw there, changed him forever. Just seeing a swastika, would set him off. Especially here in this country!!! So, I'll never forget what was done to the Jew's, nor will my children, nor theirs. It just cannot be forgotten!!!
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

augusta @ Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:22 pm wrote:I was watching a show on Hitler the other nite. How did he get all those people on his side? He was scary and crazy giving his speeches.

What happened if you were German but had brown hair?
Hitler didn't need the empathy of the German people, he only needed their apathy. I remember talking with a man who had lived in Germany between WWI and WWII and he compared the German people to a herd of sheep, they were easily led.

I have always found it odd that Hitler in no way matched his "ideal" of blond hair and blue eyes!

People who don't believe that concentration camps existed should have a conversation with someone who still bears the tattoo on their forearm, courtesy of the Nazis.
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Hitler was obssessed with blond hair blue eyes. This is documented and true that at one point he used to kidnap Polish children (blond w/blue eyes) and took them and placed them with German families to be brought up German. The tour I was on, I met a man that was a little over 80 years old, he was travelling with his son. His son told me that this was the first time his father came back to Poland since he migrated to America. When he was a young teenager he was kidnapped by the Germans on his way home from school. They forced him to work on one of the farms. It was brutal treatment and that was why he walked with a limp. they were there not only for the tour but had contact with family members that were left from his family. We said goodbye to them in Krakow. I will never forget them. When I see a swastika in this country I cringe. Most of them have no idea what horror that symbol invokes in people. When the Berlin wall fell, I told my husband that it was a great thing, but was leary because I just felt it could happen again. Every day I thank God my grandmother had the guts to get on a boat in the early 1900's and come to this country. And yes, I have light brown hair and hazel eyes.
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Hitler was obssessed with blond hair blue eyes. This is documented and true that at one point he used to kidnap Polish children (blond w/blue eyes) and took them and placed them with German families to be brought up German. The tour I was on, I met a man that was a little over 80 years old, he was travelling with his son. His son told me that this was the first time his father came back to Poland since he migrated to America. When he was a young teenager he was kidnapped by the Germans on his way home from school. They forced him to work on one of the farms. It was brutal treatment and that was why he walked with a limp. they were there not only for the tour but had contact with family members that were left from his family. We said goodbye to them in Krakow. I will never forget them. When I see a swastika in this country I cringe. Most of them have no idea what horror that symbol invokes in people. When the Berlin wall fell, I told my husband that it was a great thing, but was leary because I just felt it could happen again. Every day I thank God my grandmother had the guts to get on a boat in the early 1900's and come to this country. And yes, I have light brown hair and hazel eyes.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Its sad about the swastika and what it means today as it was considered a good luck symbol for centuries before the nazis got a hold of it.

I remember getting to see Elie Wiesel speak in the past about his stay in a concentration camp, he is the author of the book Night. Its one thing to read about the atrocities, but, to hear them told first hand. I don't think there was a dry eye in the house.
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

He also wrote Reflections On The Holocause, it was translated from The French by Benjamin Moser. On the cover it shows children hanging out of a train window. It was called ride to freedom from Buchenwald to France June 1945, It says it included Elie Wiesel. It was quite a book.
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

You must have had quite an experience. I can't imagine hearing him speak. They are still trying to get people to record their experiences on video so people will never forget. I think it is through the Shoah foundation that does these recordings. Every time I hear one I shudder at the atrocities commited by people who called themselves human.