Lizzie died in the year of Kool Aid & Pez

This is a collection of the links posted by members in other areas of the forum.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

nbcatlover

Lizzie died in the year of Kool Aid & Pez

Post by nbcatlover »

Lizzie had come a long way form Mrs. Kellogg's Science in the Kitchen in 1892.

Check out this very interesting Timeline of Food:

http://www.foodtimeline.org/
Richard

Post by Richard »

Lizzie also lived long enough to see Charlie Chaplin movies. I wonder if she ever got to the cinema.
A book shall be an axe for the frozen sea within us -- Franz Kafka
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks Cynthia!
I just looked up "Junket"- I loved that when I was young. We put in in our milk.
Looks like it was made and marketed here around 1911.
http://www.junketdesserts.com/history1.html
Harry

Post by Harry »

Very interesting listing, Cynthia. Thanks.

We know that Lizzie had a recipe for meat loaf. According to the timeline it appeared around 1880. Lizzie would have been 20 at that time. From little I remember of her recipe it sounded rather bland.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
augusta

Post by augusta »

Well, yeah, 'bland' is one word for it, Harry. 'Horrible' is another. I don't think we could figure out her recipe. It said to cover the thing in water, then bake it. The ingredients were missing something - I don't remember any spices at all. Soda crackers, and I think half veal and half pork? Yuck.

Richard, I think Lizzie did go to the movies. It's said of her she loved new things. I wouldn't be surprised if a home movie of her showed up one day.

I wonder if anybody ever made a Lizzie Borden Pez dispenser ...
Kat

Post by Kat »

I also think she would go to the movies.
Where would they be showing in her lifetime-Fall River, or a bigger city? I can't envision Lizbeth going to the cinema in Fall River tho.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Kat, I did find a theater that opened in Fall River on Feb. 1 1924; the Capital theatre at 390 South Main Street which is no longer a theater. I do imagine that there were theaters opened earlier in bigger cities, so, I think Lizzie may have started watching movies somewhere like Boston or New York.

There was the Academy theatre which was built in 1876 as The Academy of Music at 114 South Main Street which showed movies for decades.

There are others that are listed as being Art Deco style buildings, but, not what year they were built in.

There was the Durfee theater that was built in 1928, too late for Lizzie to have gone there, but, apparently W.C. Fields angered audiences there in its Vaudville days by proclaiming, "Providence, Rhode Island without Brown University would just be Fall River, Massachusetts."

Info from this site:
http://cinematreasures.org/theater/7701/

For pics of the Fall River theaters, click here:

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d21/m ... 0theaters/
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Kat

Post by Kat »

That's great, Susan! Thanks! mbhenty was talking about The Durfee Theatre in another topic but we could find no pictures of it- yet here they are! Appreciate it!
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Richard @ Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:38 pm wrote:Lizzie also lived long enough to see Charlie Chaplin movies. I wonder if she ever got to the cinema.

Charlie Chaplin made his first movie in late 1913 so Lizzie had plenty of time to view his. I wonder what she thought of them. Probably laughed so hard she spilled her popcorn.

I'd love to see Lizzie in a film.

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
augusta

Post by augusta »

I always wondered if she tried Cracker Jacks. If there was a free prize in them I'll bet the Andrew in her couldn't resist it.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

If it was a tiny hatchet in the Cracker Jacks I bet Lizzie would have spilled her popcorn! :peanut19:

Everytime I think of Cracker Jacks I think of Breakfast At Tiffany's. George Peppard pulls that ring out of the box. Buddy Ebsen dosent want it but George does. I love the "meaning" of that scene. :smile:

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Vaudeville was very big in the New Bedford/Fall River area from 1900 to appx. 1935. Charlie Chaplin's first movie was in 1913, so I'm pretty sure Lizzie got to see movies. Perhaps she even saw James O'Neill's Count of Monte Cristo which, I believe, was one of Nance O'Neill''s first films (small part).

Here's a link about someone reminiscing about that period of time:

http://www.s-t.com/millennium/arts/index4.htm
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

Richard @ Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:38 am wrote:Lizzie also lived long enough to see Charlie Chaplin movies. I wonder if she ever got to the cinema.
I bet she did. From everything that I have read about her after her fathers' death, she was going to the theatre and had Nance O'Neill as a friend. I thing that she would have liked the moives.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.