sailsinc.org FR newspaper articles

This is a collection of the links posted by members in other areas of the forum.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

nbcatlover

sailsinc.org FR newspaper articles

Post by nbcatlover »

http://www.sailsinc.org/durfee/fulltext.htm

This resource has been listed in other parts of the forum to access Philips' work on Fall River. However, I've been finding a lot of details about the era and the Borden family in these newspaper articles. It's a great resource for newbies.

The "Lizzie" newspaper article referring to Kate McGurk's article should read 1892, not 1982 (newspaper typo!).

In the book section, the Corporate Annals includes sketches of the mayors including the 2 Mayor Buffingtons.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

If you get a chance, read about the Crone of Quequechan. I don't quite believe it, but the story is quite picturesque in its descriptions. The portrait it paints of the crone is quite unforgetable.
augusta

Post by augusta »

Thanks for the link, nb. I've been to it before, but it looks like they may have added some things.

I would love to read the "Crone" story. And check out the Lizzie articles to make sure I have them. But whenever I click on anything, it doesn't take my any place. I'll try again later. Thanks, tho.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Sorry you couldn't get in, Augusta. It's possible access closes for the day when the library closes. I had no trouble getting in now.

The article on Steep Brook has some parts cut off, but it was still interesting to read. I could never quite place where "Steep Brook" was before. It is interesting to note that the names Miller and Terry were tied to Steep Brook's history and Lizzie had servants with both last names. I need to refresh my memory about the Steep Brook references in the Lizzie legend.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Our own Mary Naugle wrote an interesting article on the Crone in the October 2005 Hatchet: "92 Seconds: The Crone of the Quequechan, A Twilight Tale of Old Fall River".
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

I'll have to look that up and read it. Thanks, Harry!

I loved the description of her in the newspaper article. Teeth like tusks, tufts of hair on her chin, scarlet robe...
Harry

Post by Harry »

Here you go, Cynthia. The Steep Brook railroad station circa 1907:

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

The newspaper article had a picture of the Steep Brook trolley car, "the last horse car on the North Main Street line." It talks about how much of Steep Brook is where Route 24 connects to 79 near North Main. I used to have a client in that end of FR that I used to visit all the time, but I had no idea that was where Steep Brook was. The article talks about how the city has lost the memory of Steep Brook.

It's almost in Assonet. (That's A-sown-it, not Ass-on-it!)
Kat

Post by Kat »

This is a site worth becoming re-aquainted with!
Thanks Cynthia!