Lizzie in Google archives

This is a collection of the links posted by members in other areas of the forum.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

DWilly

Lizzie in Google archives

Post by DWilly »

This may not be new for most of you but I just found out about it over on a tennis web site. Apparently Google now offers a news archive search. You go to Google, then news, then archives. For the most part they only show you a part of the article and if you want to read the rest you have to pay a small fee. For me it was rather interesting. I found some Lizzie Borden stories. There are papers up from around the country. Now here are two particial articles I found. They are hard to read but that is how they appear when they pop up. I think if you buy the whole article it will look better:

This one is from Lima, Ohio. The Lima News March 4, 1899. At the site it looks like there are some drawings of Lizzie but I cannot really tell for sure. Here is the story. Again it is rather bad and not complete:

LIZZIE Borrfen. he say.s. was not in Europe, nor is it truo that she intends "opening a select boarding school for young ladies next ssason." It is true that she may have plans in view for occupying her time teaching a few private pupils, but there is no ground for saying that she is going to open a boarding school. She is more likely to fouud- a library or give the town an observatory fitted out with a good tel- escope of modest dimensions, but strong magnifying powers: or perhaps she may give the County Gaol an ad- equate reading room, thus enabling the inmates to endure the maddening; monotony of prison life. I called on Miss BORDEN and found her the same quiet and exceedingly modest young lady thai she was during the unevent- ful years preceding the fearful trag- edy. She has grown a little stouter in figure, a little more in man- ner, a little more uncommunicative in her associations with people, and besides she now wears glasses, which lend just a hint of exclusiveness to her demeanor, but after all she is the well-bred, pleasing appearing young lady who was welcomed all her ijfe by the lairiU'cs of Fall Hive-. Those thrilling scenes of '92-3 are of the past. All that remain of the fated BORDEN family are the two sisters Liz- zie BORDEN, aged 37 years, and Emma U BORDEN, 42 years old. They are in- separable companions. .LIZZIE is much the younger in ap- pearance ami She is a plump, large statnred young woman, with a large hsad. and fair, full face, with heavy light brown hair, and a well' developed almost uoble brow. She now lives "on the in the fash- ionable part of the city, overlooking Ihe bay and river. The neighborhood was not congenial to Miss BORDEN. many of whose young friends Hved ou the Hill high above the dust and Sif trucks and traffic. After the trial Miss BORDEN, who is said to have inherited the business in- stincts of her prudent father, took up her home a rcilc away to the north where the imposing architecture of handsome villas crowns tjie heights of the fashionable district. Finding her- self possessed of her father's fortune of that is. she and her sis- ter it was easy to buy a comfortable home amid quiet elegant surroundings. Miss BORDEN declines to discuss any feature of her life or affairs except with her attorney, banker and busi- ness agent. But those who have been intimate with herself and family long years speak in this strain: "Since shs was for her life and acquitted, she has lived very quietly, and seen very few of her old friends and acquaintances. One of the first things she did was tc buy a house in the aristocratic part of the town. She complained when living with her fam- ily down in the manufacturing district of a lack of conveniences. She wanted was left skin 0{ iny little up j carefully cured me, aud, under- Fear I knew not, so neath ther veranda, they stood and sang, ic their quaint style: is dend, slm? 0 Korindu No will Burnt Hugh sleep under- Bring forth blossoms, put there on woman's heitil. She klllud inno-ftiitur: Borrn .Bnuti is dead World Xtagnzine. niy letters eve with a ynwn, I drank the ot (coffee) which bright me. I then to my and wax soon in hot it I been warmer partu feat have I like that which pre- that mubt. My baby- sister lay cot by my bevtsule, and breathing made toe frograoeo of to fill the air, bearing aiemomn, and TI- viaionH, of ia JEngUmi flouted Farlti The periodicals in Pari; number at present 2587, of whioh 18J their fic.it appearance last year, la this enormous mass, politics. properly speaking, ia represented bj only 144 orRaua. Stranga to say, itii medicine that absorbs the largesj 20li. Financial matters are dealt with in 105 publica- tions, fashions in 113, law in 95, agri- culture in 67, and iudnatrla! matteri iu 54. There are journaU on piU and eleotricity, 24 on aaanrauca, 10 or oookery, 5 on matrimonial on photography. The tbe number of 162. The propeny U in the tart ot sjovta district. valuta are As aliove tbe lota) value of ihfir property U foiuliie sum of more than a quarter o; a milliou Yet with ail ihis wealth, these sur- loimdiuxs of culture and reflnemfui, the girl must carry a burden cak-u- Uted to bn-ali down the sirougesl na- ture, Hrr and do not prevent iudiftereuce of a of ilie town. For a guiltless wormin of gentle breeding, a Christian by profession to cu- dure the studied silence, ihe averted gaze, ihe steady shrinking away of those who were friends arid had red blooii in their veins, requires ite nc've oi battlefield heroes. It has long bfen a subjc-et of won- that I.izzio BORDEN has remained in Fall Kiver seeking to live down the inevitable ronneriion of her name will! the most terrible crime of Tbe century. When tiie law declared lier innnrem. it is would she not been more justified in shak- ing tho dust of Fall from her feet forover. and going elsewhere for happiness and a home? What would any honest, victim feel after vindication but indignation and con- tempt for :i community that has per- sUieiiniy ami fciUOifcciy suugiii lu prove her guilty? And iigato it is asked, if she thought it best to remain and live down f-rii- why, iu the full consciousness of her innocence, d'ul she not instant- EMMA L. BORDEN. besin a search for the murdsrer of her father? LIZZIE BORDEN had a fortune, and the best detective skill in the country, all ihe power of the was at her command. In 1892 a noted funeral was beld in this to'.vu oi Fall River. In the coffin were the remains father and step- mother, hacked to pieces with an ax. The solemnity of that fearful day still hangs like a pall over all belonging to the unfortunate BORDEN family. Mr. Andrew ,1. BORDEN. the father of Liz- zie, was numbered among the wealthy and influential men of the cits'. Be- sides owning valuable farms and real estate in town, he was president of the Union bank, a director of the Merchants' Manufacturing Com- pany, of a safe deposit company, of the Troy Cotton and Woolen Manufac- tory and other money-making enter- prises, besides a and prosperous undertaking concern in Fall River. ,lust before his assassination he had built one of the finest business blocks in the city. The BORDENs came from one of the oldest and most representative New England families, and a noled trait for 200 years of all bearing the name has been fearlessness and unbending will when pursued or pursuing. When once embarked in a scheme or enter- prise, when once determined to carry out a purpose, they never yield. This trait, it is declared, is possessed in an eminent degree by LIZZIE BORDEN. MISS LIZ2IE BORDEN. her father to live in more but ho was a plain old-fashioned man. the Kiissell Sase of Fall River, who knew the value of a dollar to the hundredth part of a and he did not. care to indulge in what he palled the extrav- agances of modern life, With her new house she bought a pair of horses and a carriage, engaged a coachman, and now drives out ovary day in style, going shopping, occasionally doing a little visitlnc, falls on her banker, attorney or agent, as business may require, but otherwise she Is se.l- dom seen, for she makes very few social calls, and t doubt if she oftpn attends least in Fall River. "The iwo sisters arc Jointly taxed on property asgesaed at This docs not Include mill or hank stocks. The sisters paid taxes for Lint Case.

Here is another one from the Oakland Tribune, June 7, 1905

BORDEN SISTERS HAVOEPARATED FALL RIVER. Mass., June separation of .LIZZIE and Emma.Bor- den of this city has aroused no little attention'.in this community, o'wing to the. notoriety attained by the sisters thirteen years ago, when LIZZIE A. BORDEN was acquitted after a long and sensational trial for the murder'of her father and mother. It was impossible to get a state- ment from LIZZIE BORDEN regarding the quarrel with her sister, but the trouble originated from some dis- agreement during the winter after LIZZIE BORDEN had given a dinner'and entertainment to Nance O'Nell ..and her company. LIZZIE BORDEN is an in- timate friend of Miss 'O'Neill, whose friendship she is said to have formed last summer at a summer resort near Boston. On the night of the entertainment for Miss O'Neill the company was playing at the Academy of Music in this city and at the close per- formance Miss BORDEN's carriage, .was waiting at the stage door and Miss O'Neill was taken to the BORDEN home, where the entire company later .gath- ered. Later In the season Miss O'- Neill and her company came here again and Miss BORDEN again enter- tained the actress at--her home, this time alone and quietly, as Miss O'Neill was ill' at the time from overwork. Emma BORDEN had several times re- proved her. sister for her frivolity. It is reported that Miss LIZZIE Bor- en is to write a. play for .Miss q'Neili; but Miss Bbrdea declines .to either affirm or deny the rumor.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Wow!
Can someone translate that first item?

It's too odd to read- but thanks for the second one, DWilly!