"Antique" Medical Terms

This is a collection of the links posted by members in other areas of the forum.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Kat

"Antique" Medical Terms

Post by Kat »

http://www.antiquusmorbus.com/Index.htm

I tried "Frog Mouth"- sounds awful.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

This is entirely gross. I tried "putrid flux". The name did not disappoint. I would not want any of the the various "flux".

Good for looking up terms you run across & never heard of before...
Kat

Post by Kat »

:peanut19:

No- No flux for any of us!
I think the list on the right changed between the time I had this link and the time I finally dragged it out and posted it, because I see no frog mouth/tongue listed there on the side. It would be under "f" tho.

One can click on a disease and it will go to that and on the left will be the alphabet and you can click on any letter there.

Frog Tongue

Ranula; salivary tumor under the tongue. [Cleaveland1886]
Susan

Post by Susan »

Thanks, Kat, interesting link. Found Lizzie's cholera morbus in there:

Cholera Morbus
A common name of non-epidemic cholera. [Thomas1875]

A disease characterized by vomiting and purging, with gripings and cramps, usually caused by imprudence in diet or by gastrointestinal disturbance. Simple cholera. [Webster]

And this little doozy of a disease.....yuck! :shock:

Ozena
A foul, stinking ulcer in the inside of the nostrils, discharging a purulent matter, and sometimes accompanied by caries of the bones. [Thomas1875]

Disease characterized by intra-nasal crusting, atrophy, and fetid odor; Chronic Rhinitis. [CivilWarMed]
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Kat

Post by Kat »

Wow!
Maybe too much opium use? :shock:
Susan

Post by Susan »

I was thinking to much cocaine usage, but, who knows? The description is just really revolting, thats what caught my eye. I'm sure there are some other doozies in there, not a good read just before dinnertime. :shock:
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

I started to read this, and couldn't believe some of the terms. What surprised me was my mother always told me that my grandmother had dropsy. Well I found it & now know what was wrong with her. You learn something everyday.
xyjw

Post by xyjw »

I collect old medical books and this list is very helpful Kat. I know this is an old post but I am slowly reading as many as I can, this is such a good one, Thanks!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Gee, you're welcome!
:wink: