Masterton's book

This is a collection of the links posted by members in other areas of the forum.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

nbcatlover

Masterton's book

Post by nbcatlover »

Maybe I'm the only one who didn't know that Masterton was available, for freem, online. I have the book as part of my "Lizzie" collection already.

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id= ... 4VPzMc5hc8

How long is a "limited preview?"
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

Thanks for the link, I have been wanting to read Masterton's book! I've only gotten through the first paragraph, but I have a problem. Aunt Minnie's logic about Lizzie's innocence defies reason. It calls for assumptions about Emma's awareness of Lizzie's guilt and Emma being incapable of living with Lizzie under those circumstances as proof of Lizzie's innocence. That does not address Lizzie and her innocence or guilt, it addresses Emma's awareness and moral standards. I hope the rest of the book is not like this!
To do is to be. ~Socrates
To be is to do. ~Kant
Do be do be do. ~Sinatra
Kat

Post by Kat »

A limited preview just gives you teaser pages. It makes big skips, leaving out sections. It's also a hit-or-miss proposition that you will find anything in particular.

If you Google books be sure to specify *Full View* and then you won't be disappointed.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Yooper--I think he was trying to make the point that he was brought up believing Lizzie was innocent because Emma was not the type of person to live with a person guilty of her father's murder.

The book, to me, was not a jewel. But I usually glean some snippets of new information or a different perspective from each. I did look harder at the "limited' preview--it looks like the last chapter is misssing. There is no full view offered on this.

I was in a used book store today and looked at a book about famous New England murder cases. It wasn't that old because Von Bulow was in it. It's recounting of the Lizzie story has Uncle John noting the windows were dirty so Bridget could go outside to wash them....
Kat

Post by Kat »

Here is a link to a review, from the Google Book site, bottom of the page:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_m ... den/7.html
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

From what I was able to scan on the limited preview, the rest of the book is not like the first paragraph. Still, when I think about it, the false logic presented in the first paragraph formed the impetus for Masterton's book, and he does his best to support his Aunt's contention. It seemed oddly like the illogical basis for Emma's belief in Lizzie's innocence, the fact that a murder weapon was never found.
To do is to be. ~Socrates
To be is to do. ~Kant
Do be do be do. ~Sinatra