Victorian Christmas Music

This is a collection of the links posted by members in other areas of the forum.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Allen

Victorian Christmas Music

Post by Allen »

Early 1900's Victorian Christmas Music Recordings from Victrola

To listen to this it requires that you have RealPlayer installed on your computer. Some wonderful examples of victorian christmas music.

http://www.besmark.com/christms.html
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thank you for the link! I love it!
augusta

Post by augusta »

Thanks for the link, Allen. It's fantastic! Those voices, so long ago - if that doesn't give you a feel of Victorian times, I don't think anything will. (It also got me to upgrade my Real Player :grin: )

I always thought Lizzie had a Victrola. It's too bad there is not a recording of her voice somewhere. Or is there ........?

I would bet that she is on film somewhere - "moving pictures". She had some rich friends. She liked just a still photo taken of her. I think she would have been in a moving picture if she had the chance (a private thing, nothing for distribution, of course).
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

I have a recording at home of the original version of "Jingle Bells" (original title: "The One Horse Open Sleigh"), words, music and arrangement by J. Pierrepont. It is much more interesting that what you usually hear. We have flattened out the tune and the harmonies, which originally had a lot more ups and downs. There was also a flying piano accompaniment. Time to bring it back, I think.