Things your parents did they'd be arrested for today

This is a collection of the links posted by members in other areas of the forum.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Constantine

Things your parents did they'd be arrested for today

Post by Constantine »

A man ... wants to give his wife ... the interest in a little homestead where her sister lives. How wicked to have found fault with it. How petty to have found fault with it. (Hosea Knowlton in his closing argument.)
twinsrwe

Re: Things your parents did they'd be arrested for today

Post by twinsrwe »

OMG, Constantine, I cracked up when I read the part that I underlined in the last sentence of the article.

And don't think you only have to pay attention to covering up your child outside your home: In 2012, a couple lost custody of their children after pictures they were developing at Walmart showed their two young daughters in the bath. Naked. In the bath, if you can believe that. The children were taken from their parents for a month before being returned with no charges filed, maybe just with a warning that they should bathe their children clothed from now on and also to wear a blindfold while changing any diapers, to prevent lustful thoughts.

I’m surprised ‘Spanking Your Children’ wasn’t mentioned!!! This is a big 'no-no' now days, but when I was growing up it was done by all the parents I knew!

Thank you for posting this article; I found it be enlightening and quite humorous to boot.
Last edited by twinsrwe on Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

I also loved the author's tongue-in-cheek style (especially the bit you underlined). That kind of thing is of course quite common, but she does it especially well. As for spanking, it depends. One or two good whacks when all else fails is fine. It depends on the type and degree of the offense, of course.

I'm old enough to remember when mothers used to leave their baby carriages outside unattended (with the babies) while they went shopping. I think it was the Peter Weinberger kidnapping in the mid-50s that put a stop to that. (The kid died, unfortunately.) I confess I used to love to go up to the babies and yell, "boo!" just to hear them cry! A woman caught me once, chewed me out and waited for my mother. She also chewed me out and waited for the baby's mother. She then said, "Now you go up to the mother and you say you're sorry!" Not understanding about indirect speech yet, I dutifully went up to the mother and said, "You're sorry!" (No, it didn't stop me. I was just more careful from then on -- or (probably) just lucky. (I was a little boy then. I don't do that any more, of course.))
Last edited by Constantine on Wed May 13, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A man ... wants to give his wife ... the interest in a little homestead where her sister lives. How wicked to have found fault with it. How petty to have found fault with it. (Hosea Knowlton in his closing argument.)
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

I agree, it depends on the type and degree of the offense, as to whether a spanking is warranted. I was spanked as a child and I have to say I deserved each and every one of them. When a child is doing or saying something wrong, then they need to pay the consequences. A swat on the rear teaches right from wrong.

I know it is not easy for a parent to spank their child, but sometimes it is needed. My mother was the main disciplinarian in our family; my father spanked me once, and believe me, I learned my lesson very quickly. My siblings and I were spanked fully clothed; my parents never, ever, bared our bottoms. Baring a child bottom to administer a spanking is downright disrespectful to the child who is being disciplined; it is degrading, humiliating, inappropriate and totally uncalled for.

I never feared my parents, but I did fear their punishment when I knew I did something wrong. I have always had a great deal of respect for both of my parents.
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

Here's the story of the Weinberger kidnapping. I'm glad the kidnapper got the death penalty:

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/history/fam ... kidnapping
taosjohn

Post by taosjohn »

Wow.

As handwriting matches go, that's enough to convict all by itself... I can only assume that this was the last sample compared, because no one who knew anything about it at all would bother to look at another...
debbiediablo

Post by debbiediablo »

Constantine wrote: I confess I used to love to go up to the babies and yell, "boo!" just to hear them cry! A woman caught me once, chewed me out and waited for my mother. She also chewed me out and waited for the baby's mother. She then said, "Now you go up to the mother and you say you're sorry!" Not understanding about indirect speech yet, I dutifully went up to the mother and said, "You're sorry!"
This was your precursor for a career on Laugh In:
Dan Rowan: "Say good night, Dick!"
Dick Martin: "Good night, Dick!!?"
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*
Even Paranoids Have Enemies

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear."
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

As far as spanking is concerned, in most cases a kid should not be spanked for a first offense. Warn him/her first. Actions that are obviously malicious and/or dangerous would be exceptions.
patsy

Post by patsy »

I remember the Weinberger case it made news even here in Illinois. So sad the baby died.

We got only a few spankings in our home but since I had a stepfather every time they got after me I said I wanted to go live with my real father. Of course I didn't want to go but I had to lash out some way. Brat that I was.

Yeah parents would be going to jail like crazy now for every little thing, and kids seems so much more out of control these days and a lot of parents seem to be afraid of them.
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

Complaints like that are perennial. We often see the past through rose-colored glasses and the present through brown ones. "We didn't start the fire. It was always burning since the world's been turning."