Lizzie’s philanthropic groups?

This is a collection of the links posted by members in other areas of the forum.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Kkkkatie

Lizzie’s philanthropic groups?

Post by Kkkkatie »

Does anyone know if Lizzie was a member of the Woman’s Relief Corps? It was extremely popular then, and Massachusetts was where the concept of it began. It still exists. It’s the oldest national women’s patriotic organization in the United States. Thanks for any leads on this.
mbhenty

Re: Lizzie’s philanthropic groups?

Post by mbhenty »

No, there is no record or evidence that Lizzie was a member of the Relief Corps.

She was a member of local support groups in the city where she lived but nothing National, State, or Military. :smile:
Kkkkatie

Post by Kkkkatie »

Thank you. The WRC is a philanthropy and I noticed she was interested in such things. Just wondered if she may have met one of the Charter members.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes :smile:

Now this is a guess on my part, and hopefully an educated one.

But I would imagine that many of the gals in the WRC, especially back in the late 1800's, had some sort of exposure to a member in their family that had served in the military, especially the Civil War.... a friend, father, brother, son, or husband. Lizzie did not have that sort of connection, at least not in her immediate family.

And "War" was not fresh during Lizzie's life. When she turned twenty the Civil War had been over for fifteen years. And most American military actions were out west between American Indians. Other than a few less significant campaigns, the next big conflict was WWI. By that time Lizzie was 57 years old and into other interests, like getting up in the morning. Not the sort of age one volunteers for much.

Good Inquiry, though :!: :smile:
Kkkkatie

Post by Kkkkatie »

The WRC by then had turned their goals though, toward such efforts as building orphanages and nursing homes - and were funding Susan B Anthony and Dr Anna Shaw. They maintained their allegiance to the old veterans of the Civil War but they were lobbying Congress for suffrage and for a pension to be paid to the nurses of the Civil War. They succeeded in getting the nurses pension act passed in 1892. The American Red Cross was still being built up by Massachusetts-born Clara Barton. Barton, Anthony, and Shaw as well as Susie King Taylor and Harriet Tubman were members of the WRC. It was around 1895 that they started bringing the spotlight to the human trafficking of Asian women into sex slavery. Women in Massachusetts were considered leaders and looked toward for organizing national efforts for such work as bringing awareness of the plight of poor immigrants, teaching life skills and reading and writing. Because of her notoriety of philanthropy and the extreme popularity of the WRC (any woman who was of high society wanted to be a member) I guess I pondered whether she and/or her sister had ever joined. Had they joined they would have enjoyed a bond with her group and support from within the community of women. I’m wondering if it’s possible to determine what sorts of organized philanthropies she might have chosen to join, if not the WRC. Maybe the WCTU? Forgot to add- the WRC made a hard fast rule in their charter that no blood relationship to a Union soldier was required for membership. I think that made them so much more versatile than lineage- based groups.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

As you mention above, the WRC's devotions and works were spread thick, spilling over to countless philanthropic endeavors. Perhaps their presence was not that marketable in Fall River at the time. Most of Lizzie's works had a local community association.

Lizzie was indeed a joiner. Which makes it sad that the murders may have torn her away from more institutional organizations as she retreated to her close circle of friends, outsiders, and the comfort of Maplecorft.

Before the murders she was a member of several societies, most which she came to know through her christian membership at the First Congressional Church of Fall River.

One was the Women's Christian Endeavor Society, which the name speaks for its works. Another was The Fruit and Flower Mission of Fall River. They worked with the poor and ill, bringing toys for children, food for the needy, and visited the elderly and bedridden, etc. Hard to believe that someone who joins such a group would swing an axe.

Then there was the group after Caroline Moore's heart.... better known as Carrie Nation. Lizzie did join a local chapter of WCTU. Not certain whether it is the same organization you refer to in your post. But Lizzie was a member of the Women's Christian Temperance Union , as it was known in Fall River at the time and where she was secretary and treasurer.

When she was in her twenties she was also a member of the board of Fall River Hospital, one of the few women to serve on such a group and reported to be one of the youngest.

During the trial the Temperance Union was very supportive of Lizzie. It's president put out a declaration at the time which read. "This Borden trial, from beginning to end, has been one of the most surprising revelations of the possibilities of gross injustice ... Is she guilty? No, a thousand times no. There has not been a shred of evidence of guilt."

After the trial and with the passing of time and hearts, things went down hill for Lizzie Andrew Borden.

Lizzie had a fall out with the Women's Christian Temperance Union. The Union had their offices in the A. J. Borden building at the time, one of Andrew Borden's properties and owned by Lizzie and Emma. After things went sour the Union moved out of the A.J. Borden Building. Some reported that they did so out of their own accord; others that Lizzie asked them to leave.

All interesting, no less.

Good topic. Hope you enjoy your stay with the forum. Lots to learn here.

:study:
Kkkkatie

Post by Kkkkatie »

I have enjoyed what I’ve read in many of the subjects discussed. I’m still torn in opinions over the murders. I always felt the brother in law seemed the most likely, but I’m very “green” at the entire subject.

I know the WCTU still exists, as does the WRC. Both have updated their mission. I recall as a child meeting some WCTU members in a community in Iowa. They were quite stern and very set in their ways. I can almost hear the gals in Fall River discussing their departure from the Borden building.

My heart wants to believe Lizzie found lots of ways to amuse herself with volunteering or whatever, and managed to have a relatively full life.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Yes, despite all adversities Lizzie did indeed have a full life. How happy she really was can be a claim of contention.

In the realm of a little levity:

There's this song from an 80s British Punk-Rock group called Chumbawamba. They had this one hit wonder called Tubthumping. The group may not be familiar to most, nor the title of the song. But I am sure you have heard it. It was a big hit. We knew it as "the drinking song."

The chorus in the song reminds me of Lizzie Borden of Fall River, when they sing over and over:

I get knocked down, but I get up again
You are never gonna keep me down
You are never gonna keep me down
You are never gonna keep me down......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H5uWRjFsGc

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: