Maplecroft

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

MysteryReader

Maplecroft

Postby MysteryReader » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:43 pm

I saw on Facebook that Maplecroft has a new owner? Does anyone know of this?

mbhenty

Re: Maplecroft

Postby mbhenty » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:24 pm

Not completely true.

mbhenty

Postby mbhenty » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:33 pm

As I have said many, many, many times before. Just because its in the newspaper does not make it true.

There's a purchase agreement... that's all. Legally, everything is pending. Not a sure thing. The house has not even been inspected as of yet. I still have all my things stored in the garage. As a matter of fact, I was in the garage today working on an old fireplace mantle I have stored there.

So... we will see.

mbhenty

Postby mbhenty » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:20 pm

Opps, wrong thread. :roll: :oops:

MysteryReader

Postby MysteryReader » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:56 pm

Thanks, Mbhenty!

mbhenty

Postby mbhenty » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:13 pm

You welcome, Mystery!

I've been informed that I must vacate Maplecroft's garage before the 15th of January. Thus, if anything is known for certain it will be soon. In the event that the deal does not go through, I hope to remain there a little longer. It's a convenient place for me to do some of my carpentry work and stay out of the 'real' cold', and my little personal connection to Lizzie World.
:study:

twinsrwe

Postby twinsrwe » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:32 pm

Wow, just read the article in The Herald News that states Maplecroft is sold to Donald Woods, co-owner of the B&B on Second Street. Here is the link: http://tinyurl.com/ycfdw8cb
"You can fool some of the people all the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all the people all of the time."~ Abraham Lincoln :grin:

mbhenty

Postby mbhenty » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:33 pm

Yes Twins: He sounds like he really wants it. The sale is pending, that is to say, he hasn't bought it yet and can back out in the next couple of weeks. He still needs to do an inspection on the house. The sign out front now says "PENDING". Which means just that. I see no reason why it should fail inspection. I know everything that is wrong with that house. I've been in and out of it enough times. I don't really see any problems which may kill the sale. Of course there is the back porch.... but what you see is what you get. Structurally, Maplecroft is intact.

The proprietor was out today and I had to go inside and check the boiler, make certain it was working ok since we have had single number temperatures. While there, and when I was done, I sat in the living room and let the house speak to me. It was really toasty. Maplecroft has steam heat. Steam heat has a certain thermal, fleecy feel. Cast Iron Radiators. There is also a slight redolence of comfort you don't get with forced hot air. Most of the noises I heard came from the cast iron radiators, snapping, clicking, clacking, etc. Some of the wood floors were snapping and ticking. This was caused by the difference between the colder cellar and warmer living area. I love sitting there just listening. Letting the house talk to me. Of course, I don't talk back. The day I do it's time to go and sit at 92 Second Street. :lol: :lol: :roll: :oops:

Also, I will sit on the steps, just short of the second floor, and admire Lizzie's round stairway stained glass window. My favorite room is the front bedroom. The one that faces the street with its beautiful embroiled steel ceiling. It faces South and is the sunniest room in the house and very large. It's the room with the tower portion that protrudes from the front of the building. I call it the Sun Room.

mbhenty

Postby mbhenty » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:56 pm

:smile:

When I was a little boy I remember going to church in the middle of the day. It was a time when churches would leave there doors unlocked. I remember walking into the church as the heavy door slammed behind me and thunderously echoed off every sacred rafter and arched church ceiling beam. Then quiet. Absolute silence.

All the street traffic and noises died away. Harsh sunlight became muted, pale, and shadowy. Iike climbing back into the womb. It was a serenity and tranquility I could find nowhere else. I would sit there, all of 10 years of age, and contemplate God, the world, mother superior, school, friends, myself, and of course prayer.

Quiet. Quiet. Quiet!

Then you would hear an unexpected echoed bang as someone in the building, usually behind the alter, slammed a door. The echo would reflect off the ceiling and fade ever so quietly. One sound that always stuck with me was the sound of women's feet. When I heard it behind me I was always fearful to look back. Afraid that it was the Mother Superior. The only time my solitude was violated was when Father Andrade would make an appearance and insist that I take confession. I would object, telling him that I had not sinned. Of course he would convince me that I just did by lying to him.

But I remember the Quiet. The tranquility. That is what I feel when I sit in Maplecroft's Living room. That is the consciousness I come into. A sense of peace. It's like a church. In the end it probably has a lot more to do with me then the actual house. I'm afraid that once it is sold all that will go away :sunny:

mbhenty

Postby mbhenty » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:01 am

Just "Pending".

(Above I speak about all the little noises I hear at Maplecorft. This is not uncommon. If you sit in your own home, preferably late at night, when it is absolute quiet, you too may hear noises you never noticed. Some may seem loud but not be loud at all. Even New homes do this. But this is Maplecroft. And to the listener, every little noise made is exaggerated in sound and occurrence. Especially in a house with cast iron steam heat radiators.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

twinsrwe

Postby twinsrwe » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:59 pm

mbhenty wrote::smile:

When I was a little boy I remember going to church in the middle of the day. It was a time when churches would leave there doors unlocked. I remember walking into the church as the heavy door slammed behind me and thunderously echoed off every sacred rafter and arched church ceiling beam. Then quiet. Absolute silence.

All the street traffic and noises died away. Harsh sunlight became muted, pale, and shadowy. Iike climbing back into the womb. It was a serenity and tranquility I could find nowhere else. I would sit there, all of 10 years of age, and contemplate God, the world, mother superior, school, friends, myself, and of course prayer.

Quiet. Quiet. Quiet!

Then you would hear an unexpected echoed bang as someone in the building, usually behind the alter, slammed a door. The echo would reflect off the ceiling and fade ever so quietly. One sound that always stuck with me was the sound of women's feet. When I heard it behind me I was always fearful to look back. Afraid that it was the Mother Superior. The only time my solitude was violated was when Father Andrade would make an appearance and insist that I take confession. I would object, telling him that I had not sinned. Of course he would convince me that I just did by lying to him.

But I remember the Quiet. The tranquility. That is what I feel when I sit in Maplecroft's Living room. That is the consciousness I come into. A sense of peace. It's like a church. In the end it probably has a lot more to do with me then the actual house. I'm afraid that once it is sold all that will go away :sunny:

Wow, MB. Just reading what you have posted here, drew me into a state of pure tranquility! Thank you for being the kind of writer who can make a reader feel as though they are being drawn into the very essence of what you are relaying to them.

You are such a lucky man to be able to sit in the living room of Maplecroft and absorb the quietness of the place. You may be right in thinking that the sense of peaceful tranquility probably has a lot more to do with you than Maplecroft itself, but still…

I sincerely hope that you don't lose something which gives you such pleasure in quiet peaceful tranquility, that Maplecroft brings to you.
"You can fool some of the people all the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all the people all of the time."~ Abraham Lincoln :grin:

mbhenty

Postby mbhenty » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:34 pm

Very kind and considerate of you Twins to comment on my words.

Yes, I got a little carried away there trying to get my point across. Yes, it was the silence I remembered as an innocent Catholic lad, when entering the church. It was a peace and repose that I experienced in very few places. The church was called Espirito Santo Church and sat just off the shores of the Quequechan River in the middle of a Portuguese/French neighborhood.

Now, when the owner of Maplecroft takes a trip or is away for a day or two, I check on Maplecroft to make certain the heat is on and that everything is kosher. When I do I sit and have a quiet moment. The quiet of the house reminds me of my visit to church when I was a little boy. And yes, when at Maplecroft I do use the 'quiet time' to engage in prayer. But that's just me. When out in the middle of the ocean on my boat I do the same. They are special places. The church, the ocean, Maplecroft...... again, to me.

When Maplecorft is sold there may be those who will summon the spirits, Lizzie's maids, Emma, Tetrualt, Laddie Miller, Donald Stuart, Royal Nelson, Gertrude Lamson, etc., and that will be a sad thing... if it does indeed happen. Second Street has become a haunted fun house. The essence of the history and narrative is lost to ghost chasing. But, hey, whatever pumps your whistle!

To me Maplecorft is a home. A very special place. Kristee Bates has made it so. Not since Lizzie Borden has the house been so divinely virtuous. Not only did Kristee put her heart into the project, she made love to that building. It appeared to me that her work had more to do with a revered mission than a functional purpose. She was obsessed in bringing it back. Opening it as a bed and breakfast always took second place to the arduous devotion she spilled into Maplecroft. One needs only to look at the photos on the realty site for Maplecroft to discover that it is exemplar and museum caliber.

If the Second Street house is a Netherworld, than Maplecroft is a Sanctuary. And it was just that to Lizzie Borden.That is why she stayed and died there. Maplecroft was her triumph, her adoring abode. I say this not because I admire Lizzie Borden or have any notable fondness for her, but because I have studied her extensively and written about her. Not to be ignored, Maplecroft is a significant historical residence, and not only because Lizzie Borden made it her home, but for its archival architecture, authentic design, and as a Victorian model.

So there! :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :oops:

Wish I could say what's on my mind in a word or two. I suppose it's just not me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mbhenty

Postby mbhenty » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:09 pm

I try not to pry, but the sale of Maplecroft must be progressing well. Today the property was being surveyed. If it has made it this far it usually means that there is an agreement between the buyer, seller, and bank.

:study: