Colonial House on PBS

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Audrey

Colonial House on PBS

Post by Audrey »

I didn't even know about this show until it was profiled today (17th) on Oprah.

It looks very interesting.

A colony in coastal Maine where people live like they did in the 1600's.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/colonialhouse/

It is "reality television" that might actually be worth watching!

8pm/7c PBS
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Did anyone else watch?

It was extremely interesting. I didn't stir from my seat the entire 2 hours.

I have seldom seen a television program I would wish to order the DVD of-- but I have already placed my order for this one.

If you did not see it, I urge you to watch tomorrow night and to check for re-broadcasts as well.
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

I watched it, and am watching it again as I type. (Bless ya Auds for the reminder. :wink:) That DVD will be a definite keeper. :smile:
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Yes, I watched most of it and will tune in for the next two parts tonight. I've also seen the PBS series Frontier House and 1900 House. My family re-enacts the late colonial/Revolutionary War period so we're always on the lookout for shows like this.

Here a recent photo of us.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

FairhavenGuy @ Tue May 18, 2004 1:12 pm wrote:Yes, I watched most of it and will tune in for the next two parts tonight. I've also seen the PBS series Frontier House and 1900 House. My family re-enacts the late colonial/Revolutionary War period so we're always on the lookout for shows like this.

Would you have considered taking part in this show if you had the opportunity? I believe they had to commit to 5 months in the colony.

After seeing the show I would be interested in something like this in theory. But imagining the cooking, chores and accommodations month after month would deter my family. I would like to know if they have something like this for a week or long weekend stay. We go to France every summer and also have a week long family vacation somewhere else.. and it is always the same old grind. Sitting around in a hotel somewhere fighting with the kids because they do not want to do anything or spending big $$ on substandard meals and for me anyway-- having it be more work than if I was home!

I realize this type of "adventure" would be work as well-- but I found the show fascinating and the narrations very educational and revealing. I did not know most of the facts presented!
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Generally, we do re-enacting one afternoon at a time and hide our Coca-Cola under a cloth in the basket. Last fall, though, our small group in Fairhaven did a two-day encampment. We, as a group, managed to light a fire with flint and steel and cook our meals over it in iron kettles. One big difference between modern day re-enacting and what they did with Colonial House is that we can buy all our food at the supermarket and if it rains we can pack up and leave.

There are re-enacting groups for various time periods all over the country, with Civil War era and the "Fur Trade" period the most popular. It's not something one gets into casually, though. Period clothing can be expensive (although Lori made what she and Emily are wearing) and there's lots of related equipment that goes with it.

If your interested in doing something like this, I'd suggest beginning by looking around at local historical sites that use guides in period dress and try that for a while.
lydiapinkham

Post by lydiapinkham »

Fairhaven, I think I prefer your approach. I missed last night's Colonial, but I watched 1900 and Frontier, and the people looked miserable and usually ended up making asses of themselves on national television. If I'm going to whine I want to do it in the privacy of my own home. :lol:

Audrey, I love the scrolling mantel verse! You are sooo clevah!

--Lyddie

P. S. What happened to the French Fries?
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

My Alax made that for me.... He claims it is ridiculously easy and that any "idiot" can do it...

Not this idiot!

Those freedom fries got eaten!
Harry

Post by Harry »

That's neat Audrey. Like being in Times Square.