Italy, Here I Come!

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Susan

Italy, Here I Come!

Post by Susan »

I'm leaving shortly for my flight to Italy, just wanted to say good-bye for awhile. We'll be there for about a week and a half, not nearly enough time for my tastes, but, I've never been so it should be a blast! I'll see if I can post from over there if I have time. Wish me luck, I could be engaged when I get back to the states! :grin:
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

woweee Susan! Have fun!
Harry

Post by Harry »

Have a super trip Susan! We will all miss you.

May your wishes all come true!
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Very best wishes, Susan.
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Oh how wonderful!

Does anyone know where in Italy she is going?

Venice can be O LA LA romantic......
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Bon voyage !

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Mark A.

Post by Mark A. »

You Go Girl!
Mark A.
Haulover

Post by Haulover »

that's fantastic, susan! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kat

Post by Kat »

I hope you come back married!
Italy will be Wonderful!!!
Lucky Duck! Best wishes and maybe I will see you later in the summer! :smile:
Susan

Post by Susan »

Hello all, this is not Susan, shes not back yet, this is her brother, Stephen. She asked me to post this for her if that is not a problem.

Hi gang! Italy is gorgeous! The people are beautiful, the architecture is beautiful, the landscape is beautiful, and the food is beautiful!!! I think I might have gained 5 pounds already. We are in Rome staying in a hotel thats close to the Collseum, it is truly an amazing place!

Just wanted to share the good news with you all, Clay proposed to me in the Sistine Chapel, which was incredible, and I accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Part of me can't wait to get back and another part of me longs to stay, I think I know how Lizzie must have felt. Anyhoo, I'll be back this weekend, hope all is well with everyone, I miss you all and the forum!

Ciao for now,
Susan
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Mio Dios!

MERAVIGLIOSO!

MAGNIFICO!

doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Congratulations to you both!! :smile:
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

A toast to the newly engaged couple ! (clink !)

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Here's to you both. Champagne all around!

Haulover

Post by Haulover »

that's wonderful news. congratulations!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thank you Stephen for the note from Susan!
It is very much appreciated!

YAY! SUSAN! You deserve much happiness! Congratulations to you both!
oooo this is so cool! :grin:
Robert Harry

Post by Robert Harry »

Yippee, Susan. I add my voice to the chorus of well-wishers on the occasion of your engagement. And, to your fiance--"Way to go!!" I wish you both joy, happiness, and long life together. Just this past Monday, I (finally) gave my fiance her diamond at the Rainbow Room in New York. We've been calling ourselves "engaged" for a long time and I thought the moment would be anticlimactic, but it wasn't--it was romantic and fun, though nothing beats the kind of proposal you had!! Can't wait to hear all about your trip. BTW, our date is October 23, and yours?
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Oooh...I missed this for a few days. What wonderful news! Just goes to show, sometimes dreams really DO come true. Congrats, Susan. Can't wait to hear the whole story once you're back home!
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
diana

Post by diana »

Susan -- may your happiness go on and on .....
Susan

Post by Susan »

Thank you all for the warm wishes, I'm on Cloud 9! Rome was just fantastic, I could live there easily. We were there with my sweetie's friend, Roberto, who was born and raised in Rome. He played tour guide as well as interperator for us. His family was just wonderful, we felt like we were part of it. I will post more on the trip, but, I need to get to bed soon, trying to get back to US time. BTW, it feels wonderful having a ring on that finger again! :grin:
Doug

Post by Doug »

Congratulations, Susan! Best wishes for the future.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Thank you, Doug. If anyones interested in my engagement story, heres what happened.....

We were touring the Vatican museums, Clay, Roberto, and myself, the tour ends with the Sistine Chapel. The guards there are emphatic, NO TALKING and NO CAMERAS are allowed!!! I can't even begin to describe the beautiful artwork we saw, everywhere the eye could see was something from the floors to the walls to the ceiling! I was simply in awe! It was just breathtaking, I was standing there with my mouth open, Clay leaned in and whispered in my ear, "Susan?" I turned to him and saw that Roberto had this weird grin on his face, I guess he knew what was coming? So I whispered back to Clay,"What?" He whispered to me,"I couldn't have found a more special spot to ask you, in front of God and all this beautiful work. I'm offering this..." and he pulled the ring box from his pocket and opened it and got down on one knee, "and my love forever. Will you marry me?"

Well, let me tell you, the waterworks started though I was grinning from ear to ear and said, "Yes" really loud. Well the guards came over to shush us until they saw what was going on and they clapped Clay on the back and told us "Congratulations". One of them held his finger up to his lips to sign to us to be quiet. He put the ring on my finger and we kissed to seal the deal and quietly held hands for the rest of the tour. When we got outside we were greeted to applause from the rest of our tour group, word must have gotten around quickly. It was really nice, we just stood there basking, grinning like fools.

Later that day, we went to have pranzo (dinner) at a cafe away from the turista destinations and I started crying again, I was just so happy. The proprietor, a donna anziana (old woman) came over and asked in Italian what a pretty girl like me had to cry for? Roberto said something back to her along the lines like Don't look at me, I didn't do it. She started yelling at Clay in rapid fire Italian wanting to know why he made me cry, what did he do, etc, etc, etc. Roberto was laughing and explained to her how we had just gotten engaged. What a quick change around! Oh, her face just lit up like a Albero di Natale (Christmas tree), it was priceless. She went back inside and we could hear her shouting to someone and soon came out with wine for us, on the house. She toasted with us and through Roberto she asked us when the date was (we haven't set one yet, some time in the next 2 years I think?), how many bambini (babies) will we have, where will we live, etc. She could speak a little halting english which she tried out on us once Roberto told her we were from America and didn't speak Italian, she was so sweet. She couldn't believe that I wasn't an Italiana from Roma and didn't speak the lingua (language) and that I was Americano. She made us promise that once we were married that we should come back and visit her, we did throw coins in the Trevi fountain, so, with any luck one day we will. She also brought us Tiramisu for dessert on the house with 2 spoons, it was to die for! I just can't tell you how warm and loving the Italians are, they make you feel like family! So, all in all, it was quite a romantic little adventure getting engaged. If this is a sign of things to come, I can just imagine what the wedding will be like! :lol:
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Susan....

A man capable of a proposal like that is a definite keeper....

Good luck to you-- and a hearty congratulations to him!

SALUT!
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Susan, that sounds like movie moments! May you have continued happiness & many joyous surprises.
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
Kat

Post by Kat »

Oh it does sound like a movie!
My heart is so happy!
Thank you for telling us.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Yes, Audrey, he is a keeper! Don't get me wrong, he has his total guy moments as guys are apt to do, but, hes warm, and kind, and generous, and considerate AND he does have a very romantic side to him.

Thanks,Tina-Kate and Kat, the whole trip felt like a movie! I kept feeling like I was in one of those old romantic movies like Roman Holiday and I was Audrey Hepburn or something! It was just such a lovely trip, Roberto was the perfect gentleman, he would give us time to be alone together to walk and talk. There are so many locations we visited there that are perfect romantic spots like the Spanish Steps and such. We even rented Vespas while there, those little motor scooter things, I just rode on the back of Clay's. I was afraid to deal with Rome traffic!

The Colloseum was really something, it looked much different in person. We pretty much had to pass by it going to or from our hotel. On Sunday they closed the roads around it to traffic and there were guys there in gladiator outfits that you could pose with and get your picture taken. The place is just VAST! Standing at the lower level you can just feel what the poor people who died there felt looking up into the stands, that place is just chock full of vibes, so much bloodshed. I definitely got a chill while we were down there, I liked being up in the stands much better. :cool:
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

How wonderful he does sound! I am so happy for you!

Did you find European traffic to be funny? Otherwise sweet and innocent acting people become beasts! Screeching at one another and driving those little cars like maniacs!
lydiapinkham

Post by lydiapinkham »

Susan, it sounds just like a fairy tale. May you both live happily ever after!

--Lyddie
Susan

Post by Susan »

Well, from the traffic I saw and we dealt with, I felt like we were in L.A., just with smaller cars and odd sounding horns. :lol: It was just too much commotion for me, I felt safer just being a passenger than driving. Though riding in the tassi (taxis) were like dealing with New York cab drivers, weaving in and out, coming close to hitting other cars and arriving at your destination with your heart in your throat! Thank goodness we didn't have to do that too often, it was nerve wracking.

Thanks, Lyddie, I hope there will be a fairytale ending to it all. I know my sweetie's only regret is that his mom didn't live long enough to see him married and have grandbabies for her, that would have been his perfect ending to the story.
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

Grandbabies even?? Good Luck to you Susan, it
sounds wonderful! I will have to tell my son about
that "regret story" ha ha I'm not getting any younger. Italy sounds very romantic, what a great
engagement for you, Best of Luck.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Thanks, Nancie. Yes, I would at least like to have one child if not two. My sweetie's mom passed away about a year and a half ago, so close, but, yet so far. She sounds like she was a remarkable woman, I think I would have enjoyed knowing her.