Lyndhurst

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Harry

Lyndhurst

Post by Harry »

This web site gives a glimpse of the splendor of Lyndhurst, the magnificent house on the banks of the Hudson river in Tarrytown, NY. From 1880-1892 Jay Gould, the Wall Street financier lived there.

http://www.lyndhurst.org/home.html

In an interview of John Morse published on Aug. 5, 1892, Morse relates this exchange on the morning of the murders:

“It was about 6 o’clock when I got up, and had breakfast about an hour later. Then Andrew and I read the papers and we chatted until 20 minutes before 9 o’clock.
While at the table I asked Andrew why he did not buy Gould’s yacht for $200,000 at which price it was advertised, and he laughed, saying what little good it would do him if he really did have it."

Gould, born in May, 1836, would have been only 56 at the time of the murders. He died in December of 1892. I guess he was ill and decided to dispose of his yacht.
Haulover

Post by Haulover »

this is an "upfront moment of OT" -- BUT while i know this is the mansion for the two Dark Shadows movie -- the grounds pics we see in the TV series is yet another house and i forget what/where it is.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Harry, I had just posted Augusta's list of what was new in the 1890's and Jay Gould was on there for his death date!
We are in sync!

Otherwise, reading your quote, it's interesting to realize that if Andrew had bought that yacht, he'd be alive today! Errr.., you know what I mean! :wink: