Scott Peterson trial

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Harry

Scott Peterson trial

Post by Harry »

Opening statements are set to be begin today in the trial of Scott Peterson. The trial is expected to last from 4 to 6 months.

Good grief! God help the tax payers on this one.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I don't get cable channels but there is something tonight on a channel I do get:

48 Hours Investigates
CBS 5 Jun 02 10:00pm  Add to My Calendar
Series/Talk, 60 Mins.

A bombshell in the case for the defense in the Scott Peterson murder trial; Mandy Moore, Lindsay Lohan and Scarlett Johanson are young, rich and powerful.

Producer(s): Susan Zirinsky, Anthony Batson.

Original Airdate: June 2, 2004.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I did get to watch this show. They talked to those fancy expensive jury consultants- one lady famous who is working (GRATIS!?) for the defense and one man for the TV show which I guess would start out neutral. Then they had, for the show, a Forensic Psychiatrist who watched reams and reams of Peterson interview tapes. He watched for body language when Scott was lying and known to be lying- meaning this was last year and they could check certain points he had made, not necessarily important- but which they could track down to a lie. Then he studied the tapes and saw how Scott acted when he told this falsehood. The expert decided that Scott would drop his head and mumble the last bit of the sentence.
When he was telling the entire truth with openness, Scott would add specific details like time and place, etc. He was vague when he lied and dropped the last words to a mumble.

That was fascinating- but I had also heard profilers say that a person who is lying will look you straight in the eye, unblinking. Scott looked people in the eye, unblinking.
There was a man on the news who was just released from 5 months in jail awaiting trial on a charge of murdering a pregnant girl. He said he was at a baseball game. His defense scoured tape of the big league baseball game and found some "out-takes" from an HBO show which was being filmed at the park that day and there he was! They released him. On interviewing him after his release, his answers were all accompanied by lots of eye blinking.
(Watch it turn out he hired the job out as a hit and he's just a better sociopath than Scott Peterson! )

Anyway, while Lacy was still missing and Scott had a $500,000 REWARD sign in the yard, we saw the tape of him being interviewed. The program showed how his cell phone rang in the middle of the taping and he let it ring! It rang like 4 or 5 times before he asked if he should get that and he got up walked away and came right back with the phone off and asked 'What was the question?"
This is someone who is desperatly awaiting that one phone call which will tell him the fate of his wife and unborn child?
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

A pathological liar can be beat a polygraph.

These people can come to believe their own stories and in their mind-- are telling the truth.

"Do you ever lie about your age?"

"NO! I am only 28!"
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

I just heard today that OJ is on dateline this week
with Katie Couric, his 10 year anniversary. Can you imagine Lizzie doing interviews like that?
diana

Post by diana »

No, and I wouldn't have thought Emma would either.

Yet according to the Boston Sunday Post, she did -- on April 13, 1913.
"Guilty - NO! NO!, Lizzie Borden's Sister Breaks 20 Year Silence, Tells the Sunday Post of Past and Present Relations with Lizzie". (source: Rebello,317)
Kat

Post by Kat »

The OJ thing is on now- NBC
Mark A.

Post by Mark A. »

I clearly think that this Scott Peterson is as guilty as sin but there is no way the state has nearly enough evidence to get a conviction. Juries today are different then from Lizzie's trial. A jury today wants to make right all the wrongs that their particular race, religion, or social class has suffered. They figure this is their brief time to be in somewhat of a Power role. They forget that it's a jury of your peers, not a jury of all knowing, almighty Gods!
I have $5.00 that says he walks.
Mark A.
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

Sad to admit I think Mark is right, Lizzie OJ and Scott get off free. Poor Martha goes to jail because
her "peers" are jealous of her success and she
must pay. whats wrong with this picture?