Oh Mon Papa....

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Audrey

Oh Mon Papa....

Post by Audrey »

Today is my father's birthday. He would have been 74. He died last summer. There are still times when I realize for what appears to be the first time that he is actually gone and I feel as though I have been hit in the stomach.

My papa was the kindest man I have ever known.

One time we were traveling and a woman near to us had a heart attack and he gave her CPR. He saved her life.... When it was all over the woman's husband was thanking him for what he had done and my papa told him that one must never thank another person for doing the right thing....

When I had my church ceremony (I was married in France where you have a civil ceremony with the mayor or one of his deputies first) he and I were waiting in the vestibule for them to begin playing Trumpet Voluntary so that we could make our march down the aisle. When they began the song I went to put my arm in his and he took my hand instead and told me that he had always held my hand when I crossed the road and this would be the biggest road I would ever cross....

One time he flew all the way from Paris to run a 3 legged race with my oldest son for grandparents day at his school. They won too.

He used to delight in telling people that the "gitchy gitchy yi yi da da" part of Lady Marmalade was actually a naughty French expression.....

He loved the song "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts" and used to sing it at the dinner table to annoy my mother....

He loved Elvis and we would dance wildly about the salon to "Hound Dog" and I remember one time when my (at that time) baby brother shimmied right out of his diaper....

He sufferd a stroke about 6 months before his death and when he was in the hospital he took great pains to apologise to each and every woman (nurse, visitor, nurse assistant) who came into his room because he couldn't stand when they approached him...

He had a wondferul sense of humor and a very strong sense of responsibility and duty. He made my childhood magic and fun.

Happy Birthday Daddy...... Merci pour tout....

XOXOXOXOXOOXOXO

Oh ! mon papa, si beau, si doux, si généreux
Oh ! mon papa que j'aimais son sourire
Oh ! mon papa je trouvais au fond de ses yeux
Toutes les joies que les enfants désirent
Il me prenait sur ses genoux, ah ! quel bonheur
Il me parlait et m'amusait des heures
Oh ! mon papa, si beau, si doux, si merveilleux
Il comprenait la moindre de mes peines
Et il calmait mes larmes dans un seul baiser
Lui si gentil qu'il me manque aujourd'hui
Oh ! mon papa, si beau, si doux, si merveilleux
Il comprenait la moindre de mes peines
Et il calmait mes larmes dans un seul baiser
Lui si gentil qu'il me manque aujourd'hui.

Oh ! mon papa.
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Audrey, your father must have been a very special man. He sounds a lot like my father. My father was also very kind and always a gentleman.
I can honestly say I can not remember a single spanking from my father. He would sit me down and explain why my actions or behavior were wrong and then tell me he was disappointed in me. That would get me every time and I would cry my eyes out. Just knowing I had disapponted the man I most loved and admired, hurt me more than any paddle ever could.
Thank goodness for our memories
A very special Happy Birthday goes out to your father.

Debbie
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

**I don't know how I managed to post this twice. So sorry, still learning. I

Audrey, your father must have been a very special man. He sounds a lot like my father. My father was also very kind and always a gentleman.
I can honestly say I can not remember a single spanking from my father. He would sit me down and explain why my actions or behavior were wrong and then tell me he was disappointed in me. That would get me every time and I would cry my eyes out. Just knowing I had disapponted the man I most loved and admired, hurt me more than any paddle ever could.
Thank goodness for our memories
A very special Happy Birthday goes out to your father.

Debbie
Kat

Post by Kat »

Debbie, your heartfelt feelings you expressed were worth posting twice. With no apologies. That was nice.

Thank you Audrey for your salute to your father.

Our father died a long time ago. The following year his patent was approved, posthumously.

Thursday his patent attorney from the 80's phoned out of the blue saying he was closing up shop and had some "archival material" in his care of our father's he would like to release to me or to Stefani. He mailed it and it came just today!
There were all his perfect hand-printed documents and drawings- that familiar hand.
It squeezed my heart.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Audrey, your father sounds like he was such a wonderful man, thank you for sharing with us! I wish I could say the same for my father.
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

Audrey, If anyone even talks of their father dying,
I start crying. Your Dad was too young. I know I would feel that same kick in my stomach, I'm sorry.
My Dad went through Prostate Cancer and quadruple heart surgery but he is hanging in there and following diet and being good at 81 years. Everyone I know, just knows that if anything happens to my Dad, I'm a basket case. He is my hero and the best man in the world, so I understand
how you feel Audrey, So very sorry.